Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather care

I'm digging up this thread now for a basic question.

Should I treat my ro leather-jacket with something so it will last longer?

I'd leave it alone, bestial.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

great!

.. but what about the Yohji-bag?

Quote Originally Posted by bestial View Post
    great!

.. but what about the Yohji-bag?
    Which?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

this one

i have a question, does anyone know how to care for patent leather products? i want to keep my new lanvin dress shoes relatively crease-free

i have some leather conditioner, but that's about it. do i need something special/specific for patent leather like this? any recommendations?

http://www.urad.org/DetailsListEng.cfm?ID=20

Bestial, I'd leave the bag alone too. The leather is smooth and will not gather dust and particles.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I'm not aware of any way to keep patent leather shoes (or ANY leather shoes for that matter) crease free. The way your feet move forces a crease at the toebreak. Unless you kept your foot completely stiff when you walk, it will be unavoidable.

ironman..using conditioner tends to soften the leather which increases its susceptibility to creasing. Also, shoe trees will minimize the creasing and extend the life of your shoes.

:(

i think it can look good worn in too, but i guess i don't prefer that look. saw a used pair on y!japan which i thought looked kinda bad, but then again it had dust particles on/in it (and he still wanted $500 :S)

thanks for the info DHC! i won't condition it i think i'll visit some stores and see if i can find some shoe shine. is it different from polish?

So does anyone with a Rick Owens leather jacket it treat it OR clean it with anything, or do they just leave it alone?

I live mine alone, and my RO leather jacket is about 5 years old.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Cool, I'd love to see the leather now compared to how it was when it was new.

The lambskin is amazing - buttery soft, especially on the sleeves. Not to beat a dead horse, but then > now.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by ironman View Post
    i have a question, does anyone know how to care for patent leather products? i want to keep my new lanvin dress shoes relatively crease-free

i have some leather conditioner, but that's about it. do i need something special/specific for patent leather like this? any recommendations?

http://www.urad.org/DetailsListEng.cfm?ID=20
    Agree with Albert here.

Creasing free is virtually impossible.

My two cents only....
    One of the characteristic of leather is the creasing to tell the 'story' of the wearer and its item.

I understand some people want to keep it creasing free (same as me before) yet after I found out that having creasing on it would eventually looks better with age (generally for premium leather).
    ________
    Yamaha XS1100
    Last edited by tjoek; 01-19-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I'd leave it alone, bestial.
    +1 definitely

Any suggestions for getting the smell of smoke out of leather?

anyone know of any products (if there are any) that can easily be used on suede to bring it back to it's original color (black in this case)

recently came across some cloak desert boots and the suede is turning greenish in places. i don't necessarily mind it that much since it's nice to have items that show a little age, but it'd be good to know if there was something that could fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_tem View Post
    anyone know of any products (if there are any) that can easily be used on suede to bring it back to it's original color (black in this case)

recently came across some cloak desert boots and the suede is turning greenish in places. i don't necessarily mind it that much since it's nice to have items that show a little age, but it'd be good to know if there was something that could fix it.
    A cobbler should have cleaning products...however, in a pinch you can use a damp towel to absorb and transfer dirt and stains...afterwards brush to bring out the nap of the leather.

Recently I bought a vintage leather jacket (horsehide) and the leather has foul smell.

I heard that put it outside (in open air) would extinguish the odour.
    Nevertheless in my case, the smell is still there after I put it out for 2 x 12 hours.

Anyone understand on how to make it back to normal?
    Also regarding the colour, if I apply leather conditioner, would the colour back to normal?
    ________
    Harley-Davidson Model J
    Last edited by tjoek; 01-19-2011 at 03:42 AM.