Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

So does anyone with a Rick Owens leather jacket it treat it OR clean it with anything, or do they just leave it alone?

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I live mine alone, and my RO leather jacket is about 5 years old.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
        • Nov 2007

Cool, I'd love to see the leather now compared to how it was when it was new.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

The lambskin is amazing - buttery soft, especially on the sleeves. Not to beat a dead horse, but then > now.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tjoek
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ironman View Post
            i have a question, does anyone know how to care for patent leather products? i want to keep my new lanvin dress shoes relatively crease-free

i have some leather conditioner, but that's about it. do i need something special/specific for patent leather like this? any recommendations?

http://www.urad.org/DetailsListEng.cfm?ID=20
            Agree with Albert here.

Creasing free is virtually impossible.

My two cents only....
            One of the characteristic of leather is the creasing to tell the 'story' of the wearer and its item.

I understand some people want to keep it creasing free (same as me before) yet after I found out that having creasing on it would eventually looks better with age (generally for premium leather).
            ________
            Yamaha XS1100
            Last edited by tjoek; 01-19-2011, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• arny068
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I'd leave it alone, bestial.
              +1 definitely

Comment

• MikeN
                • Nov 2007

Any suggestions for getting the smell of smoke out of leather?

Comment

• sam_tem
                  • Apr 2007

anyone know of any products (if there are any) that can easily be used on suede to bring it back to it's original color (black in this case)

recently came across some cloak desert boots and the suede is turning greenish in places. i don't necessarily mind it that much since it's nice to have items that show a little age, but it'd be good to know if there was something that could fix it.

Comment

• reborn
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
                    anyone know of any products (if there are any) that can easily be used on suede to bring it back to it's original color (black in this case)

recently came across some cloak desert boots and the suede is turning greenish in places. i don't necessarily mind it that much since it's nice to have items that show a little age, but it'd be good to know if there was something that could fix it.
                    A cobbler should have cleaning products...however, in a pinch you can use a damp towel to absorb and transfer dirt and stains...afterwards brush to bring out the nap of the leather.

Comment

• tjoek
                      • Apr 2008

Recently I bought a vintage leather jacket (horsehide) and the leather has foul smell.

I heard that put it outside (in open air) would extinguish the odour.
                      Nevertheless in my case, the smell is still there after I put it out for 2 x 12 hours.

Anyone understand on how to make it back to normal?
                      Also regarding the colour, if I apply leather conditioner, would the colour back to normal?
                      ________
                      Harley-Davidson Model J
                      Last edited by tjoek; 01-19-2011, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• reborn
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tjoek View Post
                        Recently I bought a vintage leather jacket (horsehide) and the leather has foul smell.

I heard that put it outside (in open air) would extinguish the odour.
                        Nevertheless in my case, the smell is still there after I put it out for 2 x 12 hours.

Anyone understand on how to make it back to normal?
                        Also regarding the colour, if I apply leather conditioner, would the colour back to normal?

Is it the leather or the lining that smells?

If you have a trusted dry cleaners or tanner in your hood, then I would take it there...otherwise the DIY approach: use lemon halfs and rub all over the leather...it will lighten the coloring but should attend to the smell...then saddle soap the crap out of the leather (you have to restore moisture)...making sure to develop the creamy lather...then use a leather conditioner.

If you love the jacket test a small corner or edge before attempting.

Comment

• LEWisMe
                          • Jul 2007

I just picked up a Julius sheep skin leather blouson and I'm wondering if I need to treat it for the weather here in Seattle. It's the start of the rainy season and this jacket will get some sprinkles no matter how hard I try to avoid it.

Faust - I see that you recommend not treating the RO leather jacket. Is it sheep skin as well? Anyone know if sheep skin will stain with water spots?

If I should treat it, what should I use? Most water protectants for leather seem aimed for cow instead of sheep.

Thanks guys!
                          "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

As long as it's not reverse (by the way, nice move on getting away from the term "suede" that traditionally marked inferiority to "real" leather and into "reverse" ), it won't stain Lewis. My RO leather is lamb, softest thing ever.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LEWisMe
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              As long as it's not reverse (by the way, nice move on getting away from the term "suede" that traditionally marked inferiority to "real" leather and into "reverse" ), it won't stain Lewis. My RO leather is lamb, softest thing ever.

Awesome! Thanks for the information Faust. Just for my own knowledge, why do some leathers get water stains and others don't? For example, I was told that the SS07 CCP leather jacket (the one with the mesh lining) was notorious for retaining water spots where other seasons of CCP jackets weren't. They're all object dyed and most are calf leather. Is it the finishing treatment?
                              "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I am no leather expert, but it can't be anything else in Poell's case. Overdye is overdye - it may leak if not done well. Or it may have been's Carol's intention, who knows. With suede, it's the texture of the fabric, I think, that retains water stains. (retains rain's stains - I feel like Elisa Dolittle).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎