X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zhaolasi
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Somnus View Post
    Does anyone know whether Obenauf leather oil and/or heavy duty LP wax can be used on shell cordovan leather?
    I've had very negative results from Obenauf. Perhaps it was just me applying the leather oil the wrong way, but the leather became very greasy, meaty, and then began to attract dirt that eventually rubbed onto my other clothes. I do not recommend it at all for any expensive leather.

Comment

• tigo
      • May 2009

Originally posted by zhaolasi View Post
      I've had very negative results from Obenauf. Perhaps it was just me applying the leather oil the wrong way, but the leather became very greasy, meaty, and then began to attract dirt that eventually rubbed onto my other clothes. I do not recommend it at all for any expensive leather.
      I've had/having good results with Obenauf's. Keeps my boots supple and fairly waterproof (the beeswax one makes water bead on the leather surface, it's fun to watch ). I apply them to my boots every few weeks, the process is quite enjoyable

I'm not sure why it becomes greasy for you, but I leave my boots to dry a few days, and gently rub off/polish them again with a clean cloth. Mind you, this is the only product I've used on leather since it works for me, so maybe others with more experience could chime in.

Comment

• tgadd
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by zhaolasi View Post
        Obenauf's and other analogues should be used very sparingly, and then only on "rugged" leathers, and only if the leather is not shell cordovan.

Shell cordovan takes very poorly to beeswax based conditioners in my experience (my experience is with Horween produced Alden shell, and Crup as used on some English shoes such as Edward Green where I don't know the maker of the leather).

Use regular paste-wax polish very sparingly for best results, never use saddle soap or an analogue to clean.

Comment

• tgadd
          • Mar 2010

That said, Obenauf's and other beeswax based products (I use Montana Pitch Blend exclusively) is phenomenal for more rugged boots, or for things like thick horsehide jackets etc.

Comment

• Somnus
            • Sep 2010

Noted, i'll keep my shell cordovan shoes away from obenauf products.

What would you recommend I use for Julius smooth lambskin boots and Alden calfskin?

Comment

• tgadd
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Somnus View Post
              Noted, i'll keep my shell cordovan shoes away from obenauf products.

What would you recommend I use for Julius smooth lambskin boots and Alden calfskin?
              Fuuma has some posts earlier in this thread I believe, in which he talks about basic cleaning of shoes, conditioning, etc.

Basically, for finer leather shoes I'd recommend polishing with wax about once every 5-10 wears, and with cream once every third polishing. Make sure to be VERY sparing with polish, spend more time and effort buffing, etc.

The Leffot blog has some additional advice on Cordovan here:
              The page you are looking for has moved or no longer exists.

And on calf and other more regular leathers in shoes here:
              The page you are looking for has moved or no longer exists.

Comment

• Somnus
                • Sep 2010

Those links are great, thanks. Should I be getting black wax or neutral wax? Most of my shoes are black but some are of a charcoal/distressed grayish colour.

Does anyone have experience with the Saphir Renovateur (as recommended in the blogs)? It seems to be mink-oil based, which seems to get mixed feelings/feedback.

Comment

• tgadd
                  • Mar 2010

Saphir is discussed earlier in the thread. Saphir is a phenomenal brand. There is nothing in shoe care that someone will dispute - mink oil has been used for years by many people with very expensive leather. While it may not be universally positive all the time, it will certainly not destroy your shoes instantly.

Any non-black shoe will gain uneven streaky colour from a typical application of black wax. Since shoe polish is very cheap, I would suggest black polish for the black shoes, and neutral for all others.

Comment

• MikeN
                    • Nov 2007

Regarding this method of getting smoke smell out of leather (as posted below)...since I don't have a bathtub... does anyone know if I can put some apple cider vinegar into my steamer with water and then steam my leather as normal? Think it will work?

EDIT: And if not, anyone have any other good methods of getting that smoke smell out of leather?

Originally posted by knitwit View Post
                    AHA! I've done it! Basically I dry-cleaned it at home using vinegar and hot water.

You'll need:
                    a bathtub and a good hot water heater
                    1 cup of apple cider vinegar

All I did was.. hang my leather jacket in the tub/shower, plug up the drain, run some hot water, and dump the cup of vinegar in. Then I turned on the shower (remember to angle the shower head down so you don't get anything wet) and let the steam do it's thing. Ran it in there for 20-30 minutes while the window/door was closed tight and then let it sit in for another 30 minutes just for good measure.

Note: Make sure to go in every 10 minutes or so to make sure your bathtub isn't overflowing..

Hope this helps.

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

fabreze

Comment

• MikeN
                        • Nov 2007

it's dark green. I considered the freezer thing. does it need to be in a sealed bag, or is it ok if air gets in?

Comment

• jscl
                          • Jan 2010

any updates on this?? happens to me when it's warm too (the sweating part not the white marks tho)

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                          Full disclosure... this warmish weather in NYC right now has got me sweating through an undershirt, a shirt, and my rick leather. I'm getting annoying white sweat marks on this damn thing near the pits. It comes off with a wet towel but I'm afraid a stain is going to set in the leather or something.
                          JUST THE HITS

Comment

• MikeN
                            • Nov 2007

No updates... the jacket is totally fine, the marks don't stay there

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

you may also want to reconsider choice of deodorant/anti-perspirant. i believe some of them contain some sort of aluminum oxide or something which leaves white stains on black textile etc...

Comment

• seatbelts
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                                you may also want to reconsider choice of deodorant/anti-perspirant. i believe some of them contain some sort of aluminum oxide or something which leaves white stains on black textile etc...
                                This. Google aluminum oxide stain and its all over. Ways to remove it, brands that have it etc.
                                julius leather jacket size 2
                                http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14217

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎