Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interman
    • Dec 2006

Re: What do you guys do to keep in shape?

Well I'm on vacation now, but during normal college life I lift weights about three or four times a week, and run two or three times. I've only been doing it for about half a year, but I love it.</p>

My lifting routine consists primarily of compound lifts, such as squats, front squats, deadlifts, benchpresses, olympic lifts, chins, dips, and so on. </p>

I mainly run about 5k, or interval running until I'm close to vomiting, but I've slowly been moving to longer distances and I'm hoping to do my first marathon sooner than later. I also have this cool seven mountain in a day trip coming up in may that should be fun.
    </p>

Comment

• baryons
      • Dec 2006

I lift four to five days a week and am currently on a bulking diet. I don't do any cardio. though I will probably start when I cut. <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Yay, vanity.</DIV>

Comment

• xcoldricex
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="nairb49"]what sort of dancing, c-rice? bboy etc? I would imagine that keeps you crazy strong.
        [/quote]</p>

haven't gotten into that yet - but fellow member chinorlz is a bboy ;). i'm big on the funk styles- popping, locking... trying to pick up house. studied a form of african for a few years.. and do "hip-hop" for lack of a better description.</p>

anyhow - i've never used a commercial gym, but i guess i will be needing to as i don't usually drive to campus and don't want to use the gym there... is there any uniformly good chain to go to or bad chain to stay away from? (bally, champion, etc.)
        </p>

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

Good to see other people taking care of their bodies here!
          </p>

Over the past year and a half I've been hitting the gym five days a week. I did a five day split body routine (chest&amp;abs/back/shoulders/arms/legs) with around 5 to 6 exercises per body part, 3 sets, 6-10 reps, at roughly 75% intensity. And light cardio 3 days a week running.
          </p>

Now after gaining about 6kg of muscle mass I've changed my routine for the purpose of increasing strength rather than size. I've been alternating every month with 3 weeks of high rep, low intensity lifting with 1 week of ultra low, maximum intensity lifting, which seems to be going quite well.
          I also do cardiovascular running for around half an hour (~6km) 3 days a week. </p>

I am quite impressed that you guys have run marathons! How did you work your way up there? Was running something you just did from a young age?
          </p>

I also practice Wing Chun (??), a southern Chinese martial art that emphasises close range striking. On the weekends I train for 4 hrs on Saturdays, and 2 hours on Sunday. I find this has done a lot of good for my own awareness of physical self and mental discipline.
          </p>
          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• darkanimal
            • Sep 2006

-30 diamond pushups
            -60 standard pushups
            if not daily, every other day.
            -jumping rope.
            just exercises I can do at home Rocky Balboa IV style.

-1x a week, I play with the punching bag at the gym.
            </p>

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

I'm a lazy bastard I'll admit it. I just hate running, I don't think there is anything more unpleasant in life. But I don't mind getting out and doing physical things that are fun like hiking, volleyball, walking around the city etc.. I mostly just regulate my diet, I try to eat very little because I don't have a particularly high metabolism (nor particularly low). I'm also a vegetarian, but that doesn't always help, I know plenty of overweight vegetarians because they eat a lot of crap (fries, chips etc.) During undergrad I went through phases when I'd go to the rec center regularly and I think I gained some definition that I've retained. I'm starting grad school in a couple weeks so maybe I'll get back on it having free gym access again.
              music

Comment

• nairb49
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="xcoldricex"]

[quote user="nairb49"]what sort of dancing, c-rice? bboy etc? I would imagine that keeps you crazy strong.
                [/quote]</p>

haven't gotten into that yet - but fellow member chinorlz is a bboy ;). i'm big on the funk styles- popping, locking... trying to pick up house. studied a form of african for a few years.. and do "hip-hop" for lack of a better description.</p>

anyhow - i've never used a commercial gym, but i guess i will be needing to as i don't usually drive to campus and don't want to use the gym there... is there any uniformly good chain to go to or bad chain to stay away from? (bally, champion, etc.)
                </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Cool cool, sounds very interesting. You'll have to post some links to vids if you ever put on shows etc.

Personally, I can't stand the chain gyms. It sounds really snobbish and unwarranted, but there's just a lack of "camaraderie" when you have big chains that have thousands of members that can all go to any which one at any time. I've always much preferred the private smaller clubs, where you get to know the members etc. Usually the B&amp;Rs or racquet clubs. Unfortunately, they cost an arm and a leg, but I have squash as my excuse ;)
                </p>

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

haha yeah coldrice and I rep the hip hop on here.</p>

I've been bboying for about 7 years now... practice about 3 times a week here in Boston and enter jams locally and in NYC when the mood strikes me and my crew (Florox Crew) want to go. About half of my crew currently live in NYC as a couple are NYU students and one is a Columbia grad so that's further incentive for me to roll on down to NYC regularly.</p>

There have been times where I've gone to NYU practice and just sessioned in some Dior jeans and such. One kid noticed and said it was crazy that I was breakin in $400 jeans hahaha. </p>

Anyways, I also run on most of my non-practice days. Just a couple of miles. Once med school starts breaking may very well have to take a back seat so it'll just be even more running (I abhor the gym).</p>

I definitely credit bboying for keeping me in good shape!</p>
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• nairb49
                    • Dec 2006

Looks like we've got some rep here, what with coldrice and chinorlz in med, and hopefully myself joining the club next year!</p>

Chinorlz- Any of your crew on youtube etc?</p>

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Nairb, you applying now? Where are you located?</P>

Here's the list of Florox clips on Youtube:</P>

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=florox</P>

Haha, half of them are just us messing around. The battles are decent...</P>

-A</P>

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• nairb49
                        • Dec 2006

^^yep, applying now. I'm in Canada, so a school here would be my first choice, but I threw in some apps to schools in the states, mostly upper east. Applications were truly hell though.
                        </p>

You?</p>

Comment

• nairb49
                          • Dec 2006

[quote user="nairb49"]

^^yep, applying now. I'm in Canada, so a school here would be my first choice, but I threw in some apps to schools in the states, mostly upper east. Applications were truly hell though.
                          </p>

You?</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

edit-watched some clips, that shit is dope! respect man, I can definitely see how that keeps you in shape.</p>

Comment

• malek
                            • Sep 2006

i try to workout at least 3 times a week, unless i have exams or something...

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="nairb49"][quote user="nairb49"]

</p>

You?</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

edit-watched some clips, that shit is dope! respect man, I can definitely see how that keeps you in shape.</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

haha, thanks. Yeah we all do what we can. </p>

I'm currently doing medical research in Boston, I'll probably be attending medical school at the University of Texas San Antonio next fall. I received a scholarship and in-state tuition so the cost rivals just about any other school. Unless I interview/get into a solid top named school, that is where I'll be going. Year tuition is literally going to be $9,500. Compare that to George Washington University where I've been waitlisted where tuition is around $55,000!</p>

How can I say no? $9.5k per year for medical school is about as close to free as you can get, and the education will be just as good as everywhere else. A number of 4th year students from San Antonio have interviewed for residency positions in the Harvard hospital system where I am and I've been told that they have extremely high board scores and a number will be offered spots in neonatology among other positions. Thus residency placement will not be an issue as long as I study hard and do well on my exams!</p>

I considered applying to McGill actually... but I got tired of applying (30 schools in total!) and McGill would have been a totally different application. I was burnt out by that time haha.</p>

</p>

Good luck!!!</p>

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

i used to go to the gym regularly throughout college. however, after i graduated and started working (consulting), i really haven't gone as religiously as i used to. i would have spurts of gym activity here and there, but ultimately i've become really lazy, which is bad. my school gym is free for me, since i'm an alumni, and i still live close to it. i gotta start going again!
                                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎