Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbw4224
    • Sep 2006

Re: What do you guys do to keep in shape?

I run 4 miles outside or in the gym depending on the weather probably about 3-4 times a week, depending on my schedule. I used to lift, but I didn't really like the way I bulked up, so I haven't done that in a while.

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

Like most I mostly do a split of cardio/weight lifting. 4 days lifting and 3-4 days of cardio mixed in and one day of rest which is always Sunday. Lately I have been working on sprints and trying to work my core a lot more. I find the core excercises a very nice break to traditional weight lifting.
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• nairb49
        • Dec 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"][quote user="nairb49"][quote user="nairb49"]

^^yep, applying now. I'm in Canada, so a school here would be my first choice, but I threw in some apps to schools in the states, mostly upper east. Applications were truly hell though.
        </P>

You?</P>

[/quote]</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

edit-watched some clips, that shit is dope! respect man, I can definitely see how that keeps you in shape.</P>

[/quote]</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

haha, thanks. Yeah we all do what we can. </P>

I'm currently doing medical research in Boston, I'll probably be attending medical school at the University of Texas San Antonio next fall. I received a scholarship and in-state tuition so the cost rivals just about any other school. Unless I interview/get into a solid top named school, that is where I'll be going. Year tuition is literally going to be $9,500. Compare that to George Washington University where I've been waitlisted where tuition is around $55,000!</P>

How can I say no? $9.5k per year for medical school is about as close to free as you can get, and the education will be just as good as everywhere else. A number of 4th year students from San Antonio have interviewed for residency positions in the Harvard hospital system where I am and I've been told that they have extremely high board scores and a number will be offered spots in neonatology among other positions. Thus residency placement will not be an issue as long as I study hard and do well on my exams!</P>

I considered applying to McGill actually... but I got tired of applying (30 schools in total!) and McGill would have been a totally different application. I was burnt out by that time haha.</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Good luck!!!</P>

[/quote]</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

A- congratulations! That decision seems like a no-brainer to me as well. McGill is where I did my undergrad, great school but I`m not so sure about medicine. Due to Quebec having this quota of number of students having to be from Quebec, the med class is generally full of underachieving and undeserving Quebec residents, and pre-meds who are 19 or so. (i`m bitter, can you tell?)
        A student from ontario would need a 3.9 and 35 at LEAST, compared to a quebec resident averaging 3.5 and 30. </P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Ah well, I find out about interviews these upcoming weeks, so keep your fingers crossed for me!</P>

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Good luck buddy. I'm rooting for ya!!!!!![Y]
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cmf
            • Dec 2006

i try to skateboard at least twice a week. been doing that for 13 or 14 years. besides that im lazy... never been to a gym, never ran unless i was being chased.

Comment

• macuser3of5
              • Sep 2006

Eating is 80% of staying in shape; I cook at home almost exclusively, I avoid overindulging my sweet tooth (but I certainly do not deny the beast [:D])<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>That said, I work out at home and jog every so often for about 30 minutes (3 miles or so, I haven't calculated in some time). My routine is fairly basic, as I'm not interesting in bulking up or getting 'ripped' per se. Gyms hold 0 interest to me, I don't see the need, and it is an inconvienience to have to go somewhere else to get sweaty.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I start with a 10-set/ladder of pushups (10, hold at the peak, followed by 9, followed by 8, then 7, 6, all the way to 1), about 40+ situps of varying difficulty (pikes especially), russian twists, etc. I do some curls and various liftings with dumbbells, and then some weighted pistols. Basic stuff, seems to work well, and it keeps my metabolism high.</DIV>

Comment

• nairb49
                • Dec 2006

I use to try and focus on doing plyometrics too, but I need the gym. The routine is there and its an "outing" almost. </p>

I've recently taken to yoga to try and liberate and stretch my joints for squash. At first it was just painful and frustrating, but now after a few weeks of consistently going 3-4 times a week, I'm really getting into it. Primarily Ashtanga, once a week the session is vinyasa, which I think I prefer right now. </p>

I've also tried the toned down Bikram yoga, Moksha. Really nice, but mainly just for relaxation. I've heard the Bikram isn't so great for you, especially us cold blooded north americans.... anyone?</p>

Comment

• soultek
                  • Feb 2007

Lately: indoor rockclimbing. equal parts strength, stamina, technique, and mentally believing you can do it. I actually look forward to going to work out these days.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Before my climbing partner tore her acl, we'd climb at least once a week. Man it feels great and the time just flies by when you're climbing!
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Servo2000
                      • Oct 2006

This may seem a random question, but I biked / BMX'ed extensively for the past six or seven years, so I have, as I like to put it now, "thighs for Africa." Which is weird, because my upper body verges on emaciated (not really, but I'm damn skinny otherwise), so it really screws with my silhouette and has this tendency to make me look far more squat than I actually am. I don't actually bike anymore, but so far they've stayed. Does anyone know any way to work on slimming the thigh / calf muscles? It's never bothered me much, but it's finally starting to get somewhat on my nerves.
                      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• nairb49
                        • Dec 2006

I have the same problem, from various sports, squash especially. </p>

Essentially, the only way to slim them if they're not "chubby" which I don't think yours are if you're active, is to stop using them ;) </p>

</p>

Comment

• explicit
                          • Jan 2007

servo, i completely understand the thigh situation. i'm an avid biker/skateboarder and, as such, i've got pretty monstrous thighs. as any exercise is just going to make them larger, the only real option is dietary, i suppose.</p>

i'm planning to begin an overall dietary shift as i want to drop a few pounds. i'm hoping that at least some of the weight will come off my thighs.</p>

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎