X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deuxmille
    • Nov 2006

Stephan Schneider

I walked by a store that was heavily promoting Stephan Schneider's S/S line today and had a quick glance at it. I'm really not familiar at all with his previous work, but some of the pieces were very nice and so was the quality. I saw a few cool sweaters in a cool asymetrical check patter (I'm sure there's a word for that...) and some interesting short sleeve shirts which were particularly interesting.

You can view the collection on his website http://www.stephanschneider.be/ although I have to say that I'm not a fan of the outfits in the pictures...

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Stephan Schneider

Stephan has been designing for a while. I am not a big fan of his work, but there are some good pieces here and there. He is a little like Margiela junior, but less quirky. His idea is to put out simple, well made clothes that are easy to wear. His prices are also palatable compared to what's out there, and his quality is solid.

Johnny likes his stuff, and there is a guy from Antwerp on tFS (forgot his tag) that likes his stuff a lot.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
      • Nov 2006

It's definately nothing crazy in terms of design but I really liked the sweaters and like you said, the quality is good. I might go back when I'll have time later this week and try it on then possibly snatch something :D

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="deuxmille"]It's definately nothing crazy in terms of design but I really liked the sweaters and like you said, the quality is good. I might go back when I'll have time later this week and try it on then possibly snatch something :D[/quote]

Go for it. I think his pieces have a capacity of growing on you, the way your favorite pair of jeans become your favorite pair of jeans.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
          • Nov 2006

That sounds like what I need. I'll go back wednesday and take a closer look at everything.

Comment

• dontbecruel
            • Sep 2006

Stephan Schneider

Stephan Schneider's website has finally been updated. It now includes some (dodgy-looking) preview pics of the mens SS08 collection. Ignore those--more importantly there are archive pics of all the collections going back to 2005.

Why does this designer provoke so little interest do you think? He's probably been my alround favourite for the past few years in terms of novel but wearable cuts, clever fabrics and all those things that make clothes worth buying from my point of view. The womens collections are especially lovely--just look at SS06 and AW07. There's something disturbingly sexy about these clothes, but it strikes you in the mind rather than the groin. So why is it impossible to find the womens at the moment apart from in the Antwerp store?

Looking back over the mens collections I can see that the runway/showroom presentations don't really show off the subtle brilliance of the best items (sweaters, shirts etc). But other similar designers (e.g. VB) do well on how the clothes look in the shops. Why not Stephan?

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

i have two jackets and three shirts from SS and love his cuts (very relaxed), fabricsand detailing...i bought everything from the ulf raines (i think) store in berlin, there's a store in LA that carries him but i can't remember the name now.
              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                • Sep 2006

South Willard I think. But why does noone carry the womens?

Glad to hear of a fellow enthusiast. I also bought quite a few shirts from this year's SS collection. I loved the short-sleeved ones with the jersery inserts at the shoulder.

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

sweet. i got two of those, military one, and the white blue striped....best short sleeve shirts i own...yeah, glad you brought up SS dont be cruel..maybe the gang will catch on..surely he's better than raf!!
                  One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I think we have a thread on SS. I am going to look for it. [72]

It's hard to say why he never took off. Maybe because he is not from the first generation, and not nearly as innovative as, say, Margiela. Maybe because he does not have the right kind of PR. Maybe he doesn't care for expanding. Who knows. Wim Neels is another designer who operates in that vein, and he's not famous either. Having said that, I think there is a niche SS following - I once had some stuff by him to unload on Ebay, and it got a considerable amount of interest. SS never did anything for me, although I try to keep him on the radar. I've been to his store in Antwerp, and SS07 left me cold.

DBC, doesn't B-store carry his stuff in London?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                      • Sep 2006

Yes they carry it for men. That's where I got to know him. Diverse in Islington also carries the mens line. I guess I am more interested in why he has never taken off as a womens designer. People don't even seem to realise he makes womens clothes.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]Yes they carry it for men. That's where I got to know him. Diverse in Islington also carries the mens line. I guess I am more interested in why he has never taken off as a womens designer. People don't even seem to realise he makes womens clothes.
                        [/quote]

Good question. I was under the impression that he started out as a menswear designer, but I just looked at my Belgian Fashion Design book, and even his graduate collection is both sexes...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="dontbecruel"]Yes they carry it for men. That's where I got to know him. Diverse in Islington also carries the mens line. I guess I am more interested in why he has never taken off as a womens designer. People don't even seem to realise he makes womens clothes.
                          [/quote]

Good question. I was under the impression that he started out as a menswear designer, but I just looked at my Belgian Fashion Design book, and even his graduate collection is both sexes...

[/quote]

For the record I didn't even know he also designed for women.

2000: pick up a piece, some of the drapey/weirdly shaped ones are very nice if you're tall. Extremely Belgian though, even more "characteristic" than Margiela IMHO.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

Some of my favorite looks from Park's website

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

I tried thetop trench on at a small local boutique, it was really cool. slightly jersey cotton like fabric but thicker, low waist/belt, removable hood etc, great fit but I recall it being slightly longer on me than in that pic, probably because I needed a bigger size.

also other Stephan Schneider items from recent collectionsI've seen have been quite nice, for example the v-neck knit South Willard had, I wanted to get itbut some guy bought itliterally in front of my face yesterday :P

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎