Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KodakII
    • Sep 2008

As talented as he is, I don't know if I'm interested in seeing anything from him for a while.

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

Zam and I were talking about this the other week.

I mean, in the early 2000's he also did corsets and gothic ball gowns, so I think he's matured a bit. But I'm guessing he'll probably do something very similar to Alexander Wang with his labels/Balenciaga. Either that or tank a bunch of fashion houses again XD
      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Maybe Ann Chapelle should hire him to do Ann Demeulemeester women's.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Amir
          • May 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          This would be so interesting to see. I'd love that.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

I think he would be an excellent fit for this!
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

"Belgian designer Oliver Theyskens is an art-school drop-out. While a student at La Cambre in Brussels, Theyskens reasoned that the creative laissez-faire attitude could not prepare him for the realities of the fashion world, where a collection needed to be created every six months whether the spirit moves you or not (sound logic for someone only twenty-two years old). He took the collection that would have served as his senior thesis and presented it on the runway in Germany. Shortly thereafter, he was catapulted, sort of, to fame, when Madonna appeared in one of Theysken's dramatic black satin coats at the Academy Awards. Sort of, because none of the 87 million viewers at home had any idea who Theyskens was and because the coat Madonna was wearing was alternatively misattributed to both Gaultier and Versace. Even as the rest of the world struggles with the pronunciation of his name, Theyskens has attracted the likes of goth rocker Marilyn Manson and Hole's Melissa Auf der Maur with his gothic ball gowns (now his trademark), split at the seams and refastened with industrial-looking hooks-and-eyes salvaged from his grandmother's attic, as well as his black leather corsets and bizarre jumpsuits. If there is humor in Theysken's collections, it's of the dark variety. His choice of venue is a vacant parking garage with glaring neon lights flickering madly overhead. He has created a Hitchcockian dress that is a frenzy of attacking birds, and another smothered in funereal black flowers. He has made jackets with strands of real hair streaming down the back; ball gowns made from cheerful gingham or chintzy toile de jouy, the top and bottom halves slashed apart and reconnected by a disturbing cage-like contraption; and a catsuit made of fur Theyskens stitched together with a blood-red thread. Couture, the young designer concedes, can be too serious---too, well, couture. He prefers to take this idea of what is chic and trash it up. Plastic and fur? Why not? All of his medieval antics aside, however, Theyskens turns serious when it comes to the way things are made, turning out extremely technical, impeccably crafted pieces on his own Singer sewing machine at home in Brussels. A little Christian Dior, a little Dr. Frankenstein, Theyskens has created an elegantly raw brand of couture, breaking apart the old rules of etiquette and putting them back together again in his own image."

by Alix Browne from Visionaire's 2001

(I should try to do actual scans sometime soon)

Comment

• CAD
                • Nov 2010

Hi,

I went MOMU yesterday to visit Olivier Theyskens ‘s exhibition - she walks in beauty:
                What a exhition! His fashion sketch are so beautiful and singular !
                I want to know about his work , help please.

Thanks

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by CAD View Post
                  Hi,

I went MOMU yesterday to visit Olivier Theyskens ‘s exhibition - she walks in beauty:
                  What a exhition! His fashion sketch are so beautiful and singular !
                  I want to know about his work , help please.

Thanks
                  If you wanted to know more, you should've bought the book!
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• CAD
                    • Nov 2010

If you wanted to know more, you should've bought the book!
                    Haha thanks, I already bought the book :)
                    Any other resource?

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

THIS:
                      "Unlike many designers, Theyskens also makes most of his patterns. I mentioned that today it seems less important to designers to know how to actually makes clothes. “This is super important for me,” Theyskens said. “I’d rather spend my Christmas holiday making patterns, but have the pants fit exactly how I want them. I don’t understand how any student can come out of school not knowing how to make patterns. If you are starting out, you’ll have to do all these things yourself to save costs. Also, the advantage of being highly trained in pattern making and draping is that you really physically understand the proportion of the body. You get the nuance of the length. You really get that only if you are hands-on and get to know the garments inside out.”
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                        THIS:
                        "Unlike many designers, Theyskens also makes most of his patterns. I mentioned that today it seems less important to designers to know how to actually makes clothes. “This is super important for me,” Theyskens said. “I’d rather spend my Christmas holiday making patterns, but have the pants fit exactly how I want them. I don’t understand how any student can come out of school not knowing how to make patterns. If you are starting out, you’ll have to do all these things yourself to save costs. Also, the advantage of being highly trained in pattern making and draping is that you really physically understand the proportion of the body. You get the nuance of the length. You really get that only if you are hands-on and get to know the garments inside out.”
                        I feel like it's going to be really telling, in terms of ability, once the oversized trend goes away and all these designers have to start doing fitted clothing again (or for the first time).

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎