X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diego
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by zamb View Post
    Personally it would be nice to see him doing his own brand again.
    Agree. Hands down, my favorite designer.

Comment

I love what he does, and i identify myself with him in many ways, both in terms of his designs, and the fact that people think i look like him, and that he wanted to be a princess and wear skirts as a kid.
      After i read this from wikipedia, I think he's nothing short of my rolemodel

"However, Theyskens' focus on "demicouture" (pieces too expensive to mass-produce but did not meet the strict couture rules about hand-stitching and numbers of fitting) was questioned by both fashion insiders and businessmen alike, as a viable business strategy.[4] His gowns, some of which were priced upwards of $20,000, were often out of reach for all but the most fabulously wealthy.[4] Theyskens took a purer approach to fashion and did not rely, like many fashion houses, on accessory sales for a reliable source of revenue.[4] Theyskens' refusal to create a marketable accessories line, combined with the fact that he undermined the importance of advertising, contributed to the demise of the House of Rochas.

Theyskens was notorious for being anti-capitalist in terms of his vision for Rochas. Theyskens asserted that he wanted to "stop global vulgarity".

and this is my favourite piece by him. It's so monumental in it's effortlessness, and so free and flowy.

Comment

• roupas
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Yea, the kind of stuff he is capable of producing was best seen in his own label. He had to clamp down his own talent at both Rochas and Nina Ricci.
        WWD reports that Theyskens is no longer Nina Ricci's artistic director.

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Olivier Theyskens and Nina Ricci are officially divorced, WWD has learned.

In a joint statement, the designer and Ricci said Theyskens exited the French fashion house on March 10, ahead of the expiration of his contract in October.

Ricci “wishes to re-orientate its development strategy for the years to come,” the statement said. “Consequently, Nina Ricci and its artistic director Olivier Theyksens have decided by mutual agreement to cease their collaboration.”

There was no mention of design succession at Ricci, but the separation should pave the way for the arrival of Peter Copping who, as reported in WWD Jan. 28, is to join Ricci as creative director from his current post as a top design deputy to Marc Jacobs at Louis Vuitton.

Neither Theyskens nor Ricci would comment beyond the statement, a quiet denouement to a two-year partnership marked by torrents of editorial acclaim, weak commercial success and, more recently, signs of discord between a wunderkind designer and a brand owner keen to bring its fashion house up to the level of success of its perfume business. Spain’s Puig Group owns Ricci, as well as the fashion houses Carolina Herrera and Paco Rabanne.

In anticipation of a separation announcement, speculation about Theyskens’ next move was a hot topic during Paris Fashion Week, which wound up last week.

Sources ruled out the possibility — touted in some editor circles — of a design role at Schiaparelli, a dormant brand owned by Tod’s Diego Della Valle that is not slated for revival until 2010 at the earliest. Della Valle has denied conducting a design search for Schiaparelli, a mythic name in fashion synonymous with surrealism and shocking pink.

As reported, Theyskens owns the rights to his trademark and is said to be mulling a relaunch of his signature label.

Brussels-born Theyskens, who catapulted to fame at age 21 when Madonna wore his black satin hook-and-eye gown to the Oscars in 1998, put his signature brand on hiatus when he joined Rochas in 2003. His reign there, marked by critical acclaim, ended when owner Procter & Gamble Co. shuttered the money-losing fashion house to concentrate on fragrance. (Rochas ready-to-wear has since been licensed to Italy’s Gibò Co. SpA and debuted its first collection, by designer Marco Zannini, during Paris Fashion Week.)

Theyskens’ final runway collection for Ricci — paraded last week on a sandpaperlike runway, his models perched on stilt-like shoes — was viewed as a creative kiss-off to Ricci management and a defiant statement of his Goth leanings versus the romantic and ethereal image of the Ricci brand.
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

this man should do his own label again, he was much more creative then, and did a broader range of clothing under his own name.........

Comment

• H-R
              • May 2007

Originally posted by goethe View Post
              the YOUNG BELGIAN FASHION DESIGN book has a nice article about him as well as photos of his early collections. i will try to scan and upload for those who don't have access to the book.
              His name was also brought up every now and then in Valerie Steele's Gothic Dark Glamour book...

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                this man should do his own label again, he was much more creative then, and did a broader range of clothing under his own name.........
                fo shizzle. it's like he's been working with one hand tied behind his back.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  fo shizzle. it's like he's been working with one hand tied behind his back.
                  More like one hand and three fingers on the other, so he could only draw with his thumb and fore finger..............
                  He is one of my favorite designers (my favorite in my age range) so i'm kind of sick of seeing him going round and round, instead of focusing on his own vision for himself. It's time to stop standing in Proxy for some long dead designer!

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Spring 01

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Fall 01

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Spring 02 (my fave)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Ive been bad here.........I happened to have gotten hold of a lot of images from his first two seasons. when all the rawness of his talent was there..........I should post some............

Comment

• kompressorkev
                            • Dec 2006

credit to original poster

Spring-Summer 1999

Autumn-Winter 1999/2000

Spring-Summer 2001

Comment

• KodakII
                              • Sep 2008

Thanks for posting those, they only reaffirm how much of a talent Olivier is. If only he could find some stability.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

It's a sad world when a talent like this goes to design for Theory.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎