X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tweeds
    • Sep 2006

Viktor & Rolf

any thoughts on the work by this pair of designers? i stopped by playground! boutique in bangkok while i was there and tried on a cardigan - wool/silk/cashmere blend, with a really sharp silhouette and luxuriant fabric. really taken by it, and only the price stopped me from purchasing - i blame my conscript's salary.

and then there's that infamous H&M line, and the sheer madness instore...

S/S '07

F/W '06

SITE | TWITTER
  • Kodak
    • Oct 2006

Re: Viktor & Rolf

Some of their pieces are nice but they are not a design team I adore. I like their womens wear much more.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I agree, Kodak. Their menswear is rather bland, albeit purposefully so. I think it's good for somebody out there. It seems genuine enough. I'd call it FGBG - for "geeks", by "geeks" (not to say that tweedle is a geek by any means!). I think the aesthetic is reminiscent of Prada a little bit, and it would be good for someone who needs to dress very neat, or "smart," but in designer clothes - like a gallery owner or a trendy architect.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tweeds
        • Sep 2006

fair assessment, Faust - and i can be quite a bit of a geek at times, actually! haha.

actually i was thinking more along the lines of a much quieter Paul Smith - V&R seem to me to possess a fair amount of wit and good humour, like PS's work, but keep it "bland" - like you say, "albeit purposefully so". would a comparison with Kim Jones be appropriate here?

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="tweedlesinpink"]

fair assessment, Faust - and i can be quite a bit of a geek at times, actually! haha.

actually i was thinking more along the lines of a much quieter Paul Smith - V&R seem to me to possess a fair amount of wit and good humour, like PS's work, but keep it "bland" - like you say, "albeit purposefully so". would a comparison with Kim Jones be appropriate here?

[/quote]

I am not sure if I'd compare it with Kim Jones. If you are talking about simplicity, yes. But, I think their work is more tailored (although I've seen a fair amount of tshirts/sweatshirts/jeans from them as well). I like the quiet PS comparison.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mutterlein
            • Dec 2006

I tried on a few pieces from their A/W 05 collection. It's pretty traditional menswear but it's superby made, fits amaszingly well, and has interesting and notable details. Nothing to go home and slap your mother over but it's not bad.

Comment

• thelion1856
              • Dec 2006

i got their viktor & rolf Antidote fragrance. smells pretty good.

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

[quote user="mutterlein"]I tried on a few pieces from their A/W 05 collection. It's pretty traditional menswear but it's superby made, fits amaszingly well, and has interesting and notable details. Nothing to go home and slap your mother over but it's not bad.[/quote]

Never heard the phrase "go home and slap your mother over" before. Interesting.

I don't know that I would say that they're great designers, but some of the clothes that I've seen in person have seemed pretty nice, and they have an interesting piece every now and then that I would't mind looking into. It seems like a lot of their items would mesh perfectly with a lot of different aesthetics, especially the one Faust already mentioned.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• tweeds
                  • Sep 2006

but at the same time i guess there're less expensive fillers for the wardrobe...?

it feels good, though, their stuff. well made and great use of fabrics.

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="tweedlesinpink"]

but at the same time i guess there're less expensive fillers for the wardrobe...?

it feels good, though, their stuff. well made and great use of fabrics.

[/quote]

I wouldn't say they are less expensive than any other designer. I saw a $635 hoodie this season (a cotton one) - hmmm... Also, if you look even on YOOX, their blazers are still in the $600 range. Their stuff is made by GIBO, so it's well made, yes.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sassybritches
                      • Jan 2007

i quite like them but, knowing their prices, i'm shocked at some of the fabrics they use. a polyester blend pant at over $600? i suppose this is becoming more and more common but it prevents this man from making the purchase. they make clothes i can wear in the office while still making a statement...but i work too hard to don a fabric as useless as polyester.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="sassybritches"]i quite like them but, knowing their prices, i'm shocked at some of the fabrics they use. a polyester blend pant at over $600? i suppose this is becoming more and more common but it prevents this man from making the purchase. they make clothes i can wear in the office while still making a statement...but i work too hard to don a fabric as useless as polyester.[/quote]

I'm still trying to figure out the $635 cotton hoodie. It did have a big V&R logo on it, so that's about $500, and $135 for the hoodie - makes sense. It's really strange to see a label that started out as such an avant-garde team, and end with this...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎