Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Castor
    • Nov 2009

I am a big believer in the drug store brands Olay and Neutrogena. The Neutrogena Healthy Skin Alpha Hydroxy acid daily moisturizer with SPF 15 is awesome. Olay Regenerist is a great night cream.

Where to spend the money: Retin-A, Renova or Atralin. Prescription only and worth every cent. I'll sound like a pharma ad, but they really do smooth fine lines, prevent acne and shrink pores. Honestly they can even repair old acne scars. What more do you want? Just stay out of the sun (SPF!) and moisturize a bit more if you choose to use these products.

Another luxury: Clarisonic electric face brush. Gets your face extra clean without the irritation of scrubs. I like to use it with MD Formulations Glycolic Face Cleanser.

Maybe splurge a little on eye cream. Just get a few samples (for free at Sephora) and see what works best. I prefer them with a lighter texture personally.

La Mer is total bullshit. (Well, the eye cream is nice.)
    Originally posted by DRRRK
    The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• eat me
      • May 2009

I guess I could chip in.

I've had problem skin for years. Tried a lot of different skincare, from using "grandmas methods" like lemon water when I was little, to Dr Sebagh when I could afford it.

In the end, out of everything I settled on just 4 basics:

- cheap shaving cream (NIVEA atm), don't care about this item too much, mainly because I've decided that constant shaving was part of my problem, just aggravating my sensitive skin and leading to more irritation. So now I just trim it to 1mm on the face and shave clean the upper lip.

- Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing scrub, once/twice a week. Works wonders to clear the skin. Usually do it in the evening before bed, wake up nice and clean.

- Kiehl's Facial Fuel moisturiser. Every time after shower, as my skin dries out pretty much as soon as it contacts water.

- Korres aftershave. Soothing and smells great.

I'm not sure if the expensive products I used to use helped to get rid of the problems, or if I'd be fine using the more regular Kiehl's-type stuff all along. It could be also that I'm older, that I go to the gym, changed my eating habits (goes along with going to the gym ;)), and really try not to touch my face as much when getting anxious or in a deep thought process. I also wash my hands about 20 times a day, give or take. No joke. But this comes with my OCD, so always kinda of been there.

In the end I think the key point is that you'd have to try a fair amount of products before finding a combination that works for your particular skin and condition. But I'm not sold on expensive skincare being necessarily better than the more conventional brands like Kiehl's, Anthony Logistics, Kyoku, Zirh, or Aesop, as they didn't work wonders for me. However, it's possible they did so for other people.

Comment

• j43chan
        • Dec 2012

my 2 cents is it really doesn't make a difference. I personally like using AESOP because I like the smell of their products. but other than that, i don't feel like my skin is any better/worst then when I use a 10 dollar bottle of moisturizer I buy from the drug store.

Comment

• fncyths
          • Apr 2010

Totally.

Aesop is at the top of my list. We're paying for the exotic aromas of neroli mixed with rosemary, sweet almond and a gaggle of other delicious plants that make us feel beautiful. We're also paying for the clean design that goes into their branding, which in my opinion, should be praised.

I'm sure if you broke it down you could save money on collecting the ingredients yourself and playing around with them. Slap some essential oils in glycerin and away you go. I dabble with Young Living I think they're the best oils on the market today. I always carry the tea tree oil around with me. It's great for the occasional blemish or cut.

For me skincare lines are like my wardrobe. I use different lines during the ever changing seasons. Dr. Hauschka for spring, Malin + Goetz for summer, etc. etc.

A dear girlfriend of mine from Denver started a line called Fig+Yarrow. She went to Naropa and "channeled" some really amazing tinctures for skin care and all around beauty. I love her aftershave and cardamom coffee body scrub!

I think the most important and efficient way to take care of your skin and complexion begins with your diet. You wear what you eat. Lots of water and rest is awesome. Know how to listen to your body and what it needs, greens, fruits, protein!

annnnd if you end up partying for 3 days straight like many of us have and do, than it's very important to sweat those cooties out.

take a bath, chillax, and exfoliate

Originally posted by Shucks
          it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
          Originally posted by interest1
          I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Castor View Post
            I am a big believer in the drug store brands Olay and Neutrogena. The Neutrogena Healthy Skin Alpha Hydroxy acid daily moisturizer with SPF 15 is awesome. Olay Regenerist is a great night cream.

Where to spend the money: Retin-A, Renova or Atralin. Prescription only and worth every cent. I'll sound like a pharma ad, but they really do smooth fine lines, prevent acne and shrink pores. Honestly they can even repair old acne scars. What more do you want? Just stay out of the sun (SPF!) and moisturize a bit more if you choose to use these products.

Another luxury: Clarisonic electric face brush. Gets your face extra clean without the irritation of scrubs. I like to use it with MD Formulations Glycolic Face Cleanser.

Maybe splurge a little on eye cream. Just get a few samples (for free at Sephora) and see what works best. I prefer them with a lighter texture personally.

La Mer is total bullshit. (Well, the eye cream is nice.)
            All this is the best advice in this thread, aside from the eye cream, which is often identical to face cream, but in a smaller bottle.

Does anyone have links to studies where fragrant oils are beneficial to skin? I like pretty smells as much as the next guy, but have only found smelly facial products to be irritating. I stick with unscented in the face, scented on the body, where it doesn't appear to bother me.
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• beyondthemeans
              • Sep 2008

I recently switched all my stuff up with products that are unscented and parabene free. Using L'Occinate creme divine (not sure if that's the correct name of the cream) on my face. Works better than anything I've used before.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

That cream has several perfume ingredients:

Buy L'Occitane Immortelle Divine Cream online at SkinStore with free shipping! We have a great range of

Maybe you mean another cream?
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

I've decided to try and use completely natural stuff on my face. I've been using olive oil as a makeup remover for a year and it's the thing that has worked best for me out of all the fancy products I've tried so far. I'm still using Dr Haushka rose cream to moisturize at night, but when the tube is finished I'll try sweet almond oil. I also just found out about washing the face with honey in the morning so I'm about to give it a go soon. Atm I wash with plain marseille or alep soap, it's actually as good if not better than anything else I've tried too. The only non-food thing I'll still be using soon will be sunscreen because I wanna stay porcelain and pretty (I won't say cancer-free, that would be hypocritical for a smoker)

Comment

• Jan 2011

It's already been stated, but a clean diet is the best possible skin aid you can have. I had problem skin, and after deciding to lay off drinking and unhealthy food for awhile I noticed a major difference. I occasionally use Jack Black moisturizer now, but living in a fairly humid climate I rarely feel like I need it.

Comment

• snafu
                      • Apr 2008

Iv been lucky my girlfriend is a cosmetics addict so i get to try pretty much every brand out there.

Iv bought her clothes as gifts for years but this christmas i just went and bought the full aesop cosmetic range instead of a new bag or pair of shoes/boots. If you compare the price of clothing and how much you buy of that cosmetics are cheap, and for how often you use them.

Anyway i liked kheils for a long time but recently (in the past 6 months) they seemed to irritate my skin, i still like them for shampoo and the body. The range is so huge you can find a fragrance you like. But i have found bobby brown is actually very good in the facial cleansing department without leaving your skin to dry irritated.

My girlfriend uses creme de la mer range and i will have admit when i have used it my skin feels great. Its the most expensive (as far as i know?), for me its too much hassle the whole range simply i cant be arsed, but just for the moisturizer, maybe the eye cream i would use it, it really does hydrate your sin without feeling heavy.

I have very sensitive skin sometimes it comes up dry and red like eczema when i'm very stressed and have had little sleep the thing i found worked and will always work best for myself is eumotovate cream which is medical cream and can be picked up from any pharmacy.

I personally never found aesop working for me, i admit their packaging is the nicest out their right now and i think thats why the girlfriend wanted it . The sales assistant said to me it is the main reason why people choose aesop, even if they have been using a previously superior cosmetic product.

Overall i think lifestyle is the biggest factor in your skin: stress, sleep, diet, not drinking enough water etc. No cream will make your skin perfect (im sure most of this was typed above but i didnt read the whole thread) just adding my 2 scents.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

Have used lots of stuff from cheap to super expensive (since the Barney's SF people used to hook me up with massive samples). I still prefer and only really spend using H2O+. I find some of their products to be really refreshing and get compliments on my skin a lot as a result. They say it's mainly sea-derived, but having been a chemist for many years I see lots of synthetics in there, but nothing "bad". I like their Oasis series and find that it truly keeps my face nice and moist, looking clean and breakout free. Then the sea moss soaps and body scrubs are damn good and smell unique and "green". They also release a "ginger-citron" soap and lotion once a year that smells so good. Like real ginger. There's a seaweed shower soap that smells like cucumber that is very unisex too. Then the shaving cream is good and not over scented and doesn't cause breakouts on fair skin like my face......I find the products to all be quite affordable and they have lines for various skin types which is nice.

Zirh and Anthony are also nice lines.

Comment

• rudo
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                          I swear by Dermalogica products. Especially their skin smoothing cream is great.
                          I swear by Dermalogica products too. They are not cheap, but it works wonders on me. I tried many different brands especially through help of my ex who was a cosmetic junkie, starting from Khiel to others. I would always have problems of break outs. After using Dermalogica I never had any issues. If you do have sensitive skin, consider using Dermalogica.

Comment

• casem
                            • Sep 2006

For those who like the natural route but don't want to pay Aesop prices, Ursa Major is really good.

I started with the face wash, then tried the balm and now I use the shave cream too. I tend to have oily skin so I was afraid using products without acne medication would cause me to breakout but my skin is actually clearer and less irritated than when I used washes/moisturizers with salicylic acid. I hope they expand the line, while the balm is great for me it's really light so probably not a good moisturizer for those with dry skin.
                            music

Comment

• arby2001
                              • Jan 2011

i tried proactive, and it's relatively expensive. disappointed to see it was not all that effective, but then again, i would say my skin is average for those in my age group. that is to say, a few blemishes now and then.

then i bought those industrial strength 10% peroxide creams and wore a mask of it to sleep, it solved most of my problems. best part? was 10 bucks a bottle.
                              too skinny for rick

Comment

• coccodrillo
                                • Nov 2009

In the article faust posted at the beginning of this thread - a dermatologist recommended cleansing with a wash cloth. I have been doing this for the last 1.5 years in conjunction with an organic cleansing oil and it simply works. This method works for all skin types oil to bone dry, young or "ageing".

The expensive part is what line you choose the cleanser (oil or balm).

I've been advised that the best is to invest in a good spf 15-20 moisturizer and deep cleanse at nite. Price does at times reflect quality of ingredients. That said - 10 years ago I started buying an aftershave balm from the Body Shop for my husband and when it was discontinued -I bought another one that was more $$ - he prefers the discontinued cheaper one

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎