Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Men's Grooming

Have used lots of stuff from cheap to super expensive (since the Barney's SF people used to hook me up with massive samples). I still prefer and only really spend using H2O+. I find some of their products to be really refreshing and get compliments on my skin a lot as a result. They say it's mainly sea-derived, but having been a chemist for many years I see lots of synthetics in there, but nothing "bad". I like their Oasis series and find that it truly keeps my face nice and moist, looking clean and breakout free. Then the sea moss soaps and body scrubs are damn good and smell unique and "green". They also release a "ginger-citron" soap and lotion once a year that smells so good. Like real ginger. There's a seaweed shower soap that smells like cucumber that is very unisex too. Then the shaving cream is good and not over scented and doesn't cause breakouts on fair skin like my face......I find the products to all be quite affordable and they have lines for various skin types which is nice.

Zirh and Anthony are also nice lines.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeuys View Post
    I swear by Dermalogica products. Especially their skin smoothing cream is great.
    I swear by Dermalogica products too. They are not cheap, but it works wonders on me. I tried many different brands especially through help of my ex who was a cosmetic junkie, starting from Khiel to others. I would always have problems of break outs. After using Dermalogica I never had any issues. If you do have sensitive skin, consider using Dermalogica.

For those who like the natural route but don't want to pay Aesop prices, Ursa Major is really good.

I started with the face wash, then tried the balm and now I use the shave cream too. I tend to have oily skin so I was afraid using products without acne medication would cause me to breakout but my skin is actually clearer and less irritated than when I used washes/moisturizers with salicylic acid. I hope they expand the line, while the balm is great for me it's really light so probably not a good moisturizer for those with dry skin.

i tried proactive, and it's relatively expensive. disappointed to see it was not all that effective, but then again, i would say my skin is average for those in my age group. that is to say, a few blemishes now and then.

then i bought those industrial strength 10% peroxide creams and wore a mask of it to sleep, it solved most of my problems. best part? was 10 bucks a bottle.

In the article faust posted at the beginning of this thread - a dermatologist recommended cleansing with a wash cloth. I have been doing this for the last 1.5 years in conjunction with an organic cleansing oil and it simply works. This method works for all skin types oil to bone dry, young or "ageing".

The expensive part is what line you choose the cleanser (oil or balm).

I've been advised that the best is to invest in a good spf 15-20 moisturizer and deep cleanse at nite. Price does at times reflect quality of ingredients. That said - 10 years ago I started buying an aftershave balm from the Body Shop for my husband and when it was discontinued -I bought another one that was more $$ - he prefers the discontinued cheaper one

I got oily skin and sufferd acne for more than one year. I tried everything from drug store to depatment store level skincare. They usually only worked for a while, maybe 2 weeks or whatsoever. Recentely, I swiched to the most basic skin care method: cleanser and light moisturizer. It works! So from my experience, for most men, high-end skin care products are not worth their prices. Those products are mostly developed for women's skin. The best idea to keep your skin good is to keep it clean and blance oil and water in you skin. Maybe for anti-aging skin care, it will be another story...

I think that this article stands true in streamlining your products for sure. The best product I've used is a Korean Ginkgo cleaner that they sell at the place I get my facial.

I think that a regular trip to the beautician can really help to add that deep cleanse you may not always be getting at home as well.

Some people have the habits of experimenting with new products on the skin, under the influence of advertisement. But this can be very dangerous some times. With cosmetics you need to exercise, drink lots of water and sleep well for good glowing skin.

I had no idea that Kiehl's was bought by L'Oreal in 2000. Ugh...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

L'Oreal owns much of the free world. Most don't know they own The Body Shop and Shu Uemera, amongst others.

They also make Margiela's perfume. I'm sure this is what he had in mind when he started his label.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Ho, so they are like the Luxottica of the human hygiene world? ;p

One of them, with Protor & Gamble, Coty, etc.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

^very interesting. i'd never thought to look it up, not that it's surprising. for the equally uneducated, apparently a) nestle is a large shareholder of loreal, which b) also happens to own yves saint laurent, ralph lauren, diesel, and armani (map)

funny how advertising works. when you say "loreal" i associate it with fruity shampoo dispensed from a colourful and child friendly fishbottle

ain't no beauty queens in this locality

no suprise, as the heiress to just 30% stake in L'Oreal is the richest woman in the world.

fuck tell me they dont own Aesop as well?

Independent. For now.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

It seems like the goal with many independent skin care companies, just like most fashion brands is to cash out with a sale to one of the conglomerates. The results are often disappointing, but the original creators don't seem to mind while they are sipping rum punch on an island somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRRRK View Post
    The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

You wouldn't believe how many are started based on that exact plan. Kinda sad.

It's pretty bad that Chanel's perfume business is more independent than most of the companies we see as "niche". The magic word in the perfume industry is "licensed".

In their defense I am sure it's not easy to say "no" when someone with a fat check comes knocking. Apparently, L'Oreal pursued Kiehl's for two years or so.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Dont' get me wrong...I would sell! Eventually, if you're lucky, your brand will grow beyond the niche/independent market regardless, so you may as well cash in. Even Guerlain sold out eventually.