X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Moving to New York!

Well, I can't sleep tonight so I thought I'd be selfish and start a thread about myself. I know there are lots of New Yorkers on here, and I'm finally moving there tomorrow! I'm really excited, I've lived in Ohio most of my life and I can't wait to be free of the midwest. I've got a place in Kew Gardens Queens that I hope doesn't turn out to be a rat hole haha. I'll be a student (Master's in Music Composition at NYU), so I can't afford big digs in Manhatten. <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Let me know if there are any "must-see" places for a newbie. I took a summer class there last summer so at least I'm a bit familiar with the city already. If any of you see me out shopping, or if you go to NYU and recognize me from WAYWT thread, don't be afraid to say hi! If any of you fashion students want some original music composed for your shows, please hit me up!</DIV>
    music
  • Will
    • Dec 2006

Re: Moving to New York!

Congratulations Casem, i'm sure you'll have a great time

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]Well, I can't sleep tonight so I thought I'd be selfish and start a thread about myself. I know there are lots of New Yorkers on here, and I'm finally moving there tomorrow! I'm really excited, I've lived in Ohio most of my life and I can't wait to be free of the midwest. I've got a place in Kew Gardens Queens that I hope doesn't turn out to be a rat hole haha. I'll be a student (Master's in Music Composition at NYU), so I can't afford big digs in Manhatten. <div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>Let me know if there are any "must-see" places for a newbie. I took a summer class there last summer so at least I'm a bit familiar with the city already. If any of you see me out shopping, or if you go to NYU and recognize me from WAYWT thread, don't be afraid to say hi! If any of you fashion students want some original music composed for your shows, please hit me up!</div>

[/quote]</p>

Congrats, Casem - I'm sure you'll like it. I know nothing about Queens - but I can tell you a few musts in the NYU area (I go to New School myself, a few blocks above). For falafel/shwarma you must hit up Mamoun's Falafel - I think it's on Thompson or Sullivan, right around the corner from NYU Law School. For excellent coffee/lunch Gray Dog's Coffee on Carmine St. is a must as well. Joe's is another great place for coffee - there are two of them not too far from you - one on Waverley Pl. and one on 5th/13th. For pizza, you have John's Pizza on Carmine/6th Ave. For groceries look no further than Trader Joe's on 3rd/14th (a closer and pricier option is Whole Foods right on U.Square). This is all at this point, it'd take too much space to write about all favorites, but you can always PM me if you are looking for something in particular. Welcome to New York, and stay away from SoHo on the weekends if you want to keep your sanity intact.
      </p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkanimal
        • Sep 2006

You don't know what you're getting into, hahhaah! Welcome to New York. I know a bit of Queens and it's one of those places that people living in the city neglect but have hidden gems, mostly very good restaurants. I haven't gone to Kew Gardens, but I'm guessing you're taking the 7 train. If you are, you will pass by some of my favorite places to eat. I will let you know once you've settled down!

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

first let me welcome you to New York.</p>

But let me tell you this,</p>

Queens Sucks!!</p>

I know because i've lived there for the last three years!!!!!!!</p>

For a person who is interested in fashion and culture it is really a boring bland place.</p>

there are no good stores for designer merchandise, and no really nice places to go (except maybe PS1)</p>

most of my time is spent in brooklyn where i lived first, and will be buying a house soon (whoopieee lots of studio space to make the great collections ive always wanted to make)</p>

i tell people i live in brooklyn but sleep in queens</p>

well you will be going to NYU so most of your time will be spend in manhattan, and that will probably help
          </p>

one thing i have to say though, Pray that your apartmemt is near the subway station (believe me, it makes a to of difference, not having to wait on a bus) where you can travel to and from manhattan effeciently</p>

</p>

but regardless of that, welcome to NY and i hope you enjoy living here.</p>

</p>

also, i will PM you about this music thing, as it might be something i am interested in.......</p>

</p>

Zamb
          </p>
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Tiger
            Banned
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="zamb"]

Queens Sucks!!</P>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I second that. </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Welcome to NY!</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV>

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

Thanks everyone for the encouragement/advice! I'm getting settled in, no internet at the moment so I'm at NYU's Bobst library right now. <div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>My place is OK, the neighborhood seems safe enough, but I'll second what Zamb said that Queen's kinda sucks. I'm sure I'll be spending most of my time in Manhatten though, a safe affordable place to sleep is all I really expected anyway. Darkanimal, looks like I'll be taking the F train in, the stop is really close to my apt. but the commute to Manhatten is about 25 min. (to 57th st.) or about 40 min. to get to NYU. The commute is a bit longer than I expected but it'll be OK, I used to live 40 min. from Cincinnati, so I'm not going to complain about a 40 min. ride to Manhatten.</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>I should be done with my master's in a year, at which time if I want to stay in NY I'll try to find a place in Manhatten. So I think I can put up with Queens until then. I'm not so sure I'll want to stay in NY after my degree though, it's a lot of fun, but I'm already a bit weary about being here for a whole year. I'm sure things will get better, but right now I'm really missing all my friends that are now 400 miles away.</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>On to fashion...</div><div>Went to Cloak, Dior Homme, and Opening Ceremony today. About the only thing Cloak had in my size were jackets, which where nice but I need another jacket like a hole in the head. I was hoping to pick up the felt/leather boots, but they only had one left in black which was way too small. I did get the houndstooth scarf, should have looked at the price before I bought it, I figured it would be about $100 after the markdown, but it was still $180, I can't believe they charge that much for a scarf, it's not even that long. But oh well, I really like it so it'll get lots of use, plus Caleb there is really hot so how could I say no? Nothing good at Dior left, there's a surprising amount of FW stuff, but nothing I wanted, and all the SS stuff so far is pretty basic. </div><div>Hopefully I can get internet soon at my place and get posting again.</div>
              music

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

awww....at least you have us. [:)]
                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• nairb49
                  • Dec 2006

and thats all you really need. </p>

Hahah, don't worry, I'm sure once your program gets up and running you'll be busy busy and meeting tons of new people anyway.
                  maybe i'll hit you up to show me all the great stuff you'll have discovered in Queen's if I ever visit NYC.
                  </p>

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

interesting to read about your experiences, keep posting :)
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                      • Mar 2007

i JUST moved here from LA, to work at a new design firm. its night and day, but i am enjoying it so far.

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

Ha, I totally forgot about this thread, it's been a whole year now for me! Unfortunately that also means my lease is up and I'm moving (thus the stuff for sale in classifieds). Since I'm done at NYU, I'm moving back to Ohio for a bit to save on rent until summer. I've applied to 5 schools in and around NYC for my PhD for next fall, so I hope to be moving back in a few months. I think my midwestern hiatus will be interesting (I can't imagine how many times I will get heckled now) buy NYC has given me a healthy dose of attitude to give it right back. I will totally feel out of the loop when I'm gone, even when I vacation for a few weeks from the city I feel like I'm missing out! But, the 5 months in Ohio will cost me the same as 1 month rent in NYC so it's a trade off. If I get into one of the schools, I'm hoping to split a place with a friend somewhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn, I did a year of the 45 min. queens commute, but I'm now willing to trade off living space to be closer to the city when I return.
                        music

Comment

• RADO
                          • Nov 2007

Hi Casem,</P>
                          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Enjoy you stay in NY. Just for my experience, I lived there for a year studying at NYU as you. Got a part-job in Upper East as assistance of a jewellery designer. Before I found a part-job in an art gallery in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">SoHo</st1:place> but turn it down in a couple of days after facing a cold attitude from my co-workers. I was lucky to find a cute apartment in midtown located in a walk-up building and getting fire-place, brick walls and so on. Still keep all my friends there and I am pretty sure you will find yours easily. When living there I just left <st1:City w:st="on">Manhattan</st1:City> few times, went to <st1:place w:st="on">Queens</st1:place> to visit some friends who used to live there. They always say it was good for living if you are well located since live is cheaper than <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan</st1:place></st1:City> and can find nice affordable restaurants. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Hope you will get a good time and wish you good luck with your studies.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

• casem
                            • Sep 2006

(psst, this thread is old, I've been in NYC a year now, see the above post)
                            music

Comment

• RADO
                              • Nov 2007

....seen it. [:$]

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢