• desultory
    • Aug 2007

Re: Moving to New York!

Go for it Casem, onward and upward.

Comment

• the breaks
      • Sep 2007

I guess this is the thread to ask: anyone know what Morningside Heights is like? We're going to be staying there on our trip to NY this easter.
      Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

[quote user="the breaks"]I guess this is the thread to ask: anyone know what Morningside Heights is like? We're going to be staying there on our trip to NY this easter.
        [/quote]</p>

It's boring and safe. Lots of college friendly establishments. Depending on where you're staying, you might be near the north end of Central Park. You'll be reasonably close to midtown shopping (Barney's) but it's a hike to downtown shopping (Atelier). You can have breakfast at the Seinfeld diner.
        </p>

Comment

• the breaks
          • Sep 2007

Boring and safe sounds perfect for just a place to crash after shopping all day :)
          Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

great quote
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• dunaj
              • Feb 2007

I, too, am moving to New York. I got a job that starts in September and now I am just counting down the days!

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

where are you going to live, dunaj?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dunaj
                  • Feb 2007

Actually, I'm glad you asked... I have been looking into both Astoria and Upper East Side. I know that the neighborhoods are completely different, but I see advantages and disadvantages to both. Obviously I would save money by living in Astoria, and I would have much more space, but I'm mostly going to be working in midtown, so it would be nice to have the convenience of being closer to home with the latter option.</p>

</p>

I would be very grateful if you had any insight into these locations, or any suggestions for other neighborhoods I should check out. Since I'll be starting my job shortly after graduating, I'll only have about 1-2 months to find a place... I think that with the proper research this shouldn't be a problem.
                  </p>

Comment

• ddohnggo
                    • Oct 2006

what part of midtown will you be working in? east, west?
                    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• dunaj
                      • Feb 2007

The main office is midtown east, but I'm doing public accounting so I'm going to be at clients' offices for the majority of my time... I'll be working in the financial services sector, so it's possible that I'll be in the financial district a lot? I won't really for certain until I know what clients I'll be working on, though.

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

Congrats dunaj on the job and move! From what I've seen I
                        would go with Astoria. I imagine it wouldn't be a bad commute
                        from there (I lived in queens almost to JFK and had 40 min but I got
                        used to it). Astoria is a nice area and for my money the Upper
                        East Side is a bit uppity and not worth it. Midtown is a complete
                        bore, me and my friends would joke that we don't hang out above 14th
                        street, but really midtown is wreched. The place is a ghost town after
                        business hours unless you're surrounded by tourists. If I get one
                        of the fellowships I applied for either with NYU or Columbia to do my
                        PhD I'm hoping to move to the Lower East Side or Brooklyn with one of
                        my friends this summer.

</p>
                        music

Comment

• dunaj
                          • Feb 2007

thanks casem!</p>

I just looked up the transit time from Astoria and the transit time from the Upper East Side (don't know why I didn't think to do this before) and you're right, the difference is negligible--probably 10-15 minutes more, at the very most. I'd gladly take an extra 20 minutes a day if it means paying $700 less per month in rent!</p>

</p>

I'm really excited to finally settle in, I've been checking craigslist daily for the last month and I'm itching to sign a lease now... I'll be flying out in a few months to get everything squared away.
                          </p>

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="dunaj"]The main office is midtown east, but I'm doing public accounting so I'm going to be at clients' offices for the majority of my time... I'll be working in the financial services sector, so it's possible that I'll be in the financial district a lot? I won't really for certain until I know what clients I'll be working on, though.
                            [/quote]</p>

You are correct, the difference in travel between Astoria and UES will be negligible, considering that you will only be able afford UES on First or York, which is a good 10-15 min. walk to the 4/5/6 line. However, being close to 4/5/6 is pretty convenient if you will be traversing financial offices. Still not worth a big $ difference.
                            </p>
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                              • Aug 2007

im situating myself in ny come may when exams r finished. it will just be for the summer months. but the thing is im not a very good planner and i dont think ill have my work v*sa in time. any suggestions for good places to work 'under the t*ble??' im young so it doesnt have to be fancy or anything. my x lives there now and does the waitress/bar maid gig which would be okay but anything fashion related would be rad though ...

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

bar/restaurant is your best bet. easy $300-400 cash a night in an average place without putting in much effort.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎