X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Re: Moving to New York!

This is an area I could use help with. Since finishing my degree and moving out of NYC I can't stop thinking of ways to get back. I'm just not sure what kind of steady job I could get with a Master's Degree in Music Composition to pay the rent in NYC. I asked my composition teacher for advice, but she has a day job at some financial institution, so unless you do movie scores or are a prof., making a living as a composers is no longer viable. I would be OK working a bitch job for a bit, as I plan on getting my PhD in composition and eventually becoming a prof. (or musical superstar, whatever comes first). I really want to get back to NYC because I feel like that is where the creative action is at, but right now I'm having a hard time justifying it when my current rent is $200. Any ideas for decent paying jobs that would appreciate my Master's degree? Even if the job doesn't involve music, living in NYC to promote my music would be an OK trade off if I had to work a day job that's not so fulfilling.
    music

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

This is extremely hard, casem. I know a guy who got his PhD, and he is brilliant, and it is incredibly hard to get a job. The easiest buck you can make is private music lessons. Something like that can bring you a very nice chunk of cash. You should consider it. You could teach an introductory music course at some college on top of that.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

sounds like a good plan. people here are willing to pay a good amount of money for quality services. get rid of the idea of paying $200 for rent though. wow.
        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

I've got a question for all of you....</p>

How is getting a job in a more creative (read: Merchandising/Development) field? </p>
          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

can't say for sure, but from what i understand it's</p>

1. know someone or</p>

2. start as an unpaid slave placed by parsons career services and pray</p>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
              • Mar 2008

sounds about right

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

lol. Damn. Well, I'm definitely just asking around right now. I have a few friends over there that said they would help so we'll see.....The only thing I can rely on though is networking my way over there I guess.

Comment

• kira
                  • Mar 2008

but if you are not afraid to work hard then it will be fine. people will pay for hard work here.

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Your best bet is to get a Job as a stylists Assistant, </p>

they pay reasonably well.</p>

like 3-5 hundred dollars a day, Just be careful though as there are a lot of shady people in the Stylist Business.......</p>

Or you can start as a paid intern (less Money?) at a reputable but smaller company</p>
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

Thanks Zamb. That actually sounds kind of interesting...but I'm guessing the 3-5 hundred a day isn't on a daily basis?</p>

</p>

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

It seems like styling work could be fun but it sounds like about the most difficult thing I've ever heard of to get involved with. I love following seenmy's work over at thenonplace and would love to do something like that, but it sounds like you have to have some real connections.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

Thanks Zamb. That actually sounds kind of interesting...but I'm guessing the 3-5 hundred a day isn't on a daily basis?</P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

[/quote]</P>

well, not really, at least not in the beginning, unless you are willing to assist multiple persons/ stylist....at a time</P>

It has its ups and downs</P>

the ups being , getting to meet alot of people who can be important to a carrerr in the creative field</P>

the downside being, having to work long hours sometimes for not alot of money</P>

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]It seems like styling work could be fun but it sounds like about the most difficult thing I've ever heard of to get involved with. I love following seenmy's work over at thenonplace and would love to do something like that, but it sounds like you have to have some real connections.
                            [/quote]</P>

Its not really that hard to get into,</P>

as long as you are willing to Volunteer, you can always find stylist/ designers who are willing to give you a chance.</P>

I could have easily become a stylist if i wanted to, but its an aspect of the profession that i am not interested in being involed in, at least not on any seriously professional level.</P>

Comment

• dunaj
                              • Feb 2007

hello bump</p>

so my big move is about 34 days away, but who's counting? I'm flying out to the city a week from today (from Aug. 4-6) to finalize my living arrangements, so I thought I'd cast a line out to SZ and see if the NYC population here has any connections in the roommate department. I'm looking elsewhere and certainly not relying on SZ to find a place, but you never know, this certainly can't hurt.</p>

looking for a place with a september 1 move-in date, short-term or long-term whatever works. my budget is about $1400 but lower is better (duh). if you or anyone you know is looking to rent out a room then get in touch!
                              </p>

Comment

• XSKY
                                • Jun 2008

revived from the dead...
                                Originally posted by Faust
                                snafu, you are such a kunktease.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀