X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Volga Volga

Hi guys, I was at Alan Bilzerian last week and one of the SAs showed me this shirt by Volga Volga based out of Tokyo. I was told that the designer used to be with Carpe Diem and the style of the shirt was convincing enough.

Cool method of presenting the material/make tag, it was sewn in flush with the raw edge fabric that ran down one sleeve and then extended a little past the cuff.

Shirts were pricey... $500!!

A casual google search brought up nothing about the brand (but one of a Russian restaurant in Japan though hahaha). Just curious if anyone has ever heard of them/know of them etc.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Volga Volga- Any info?

The designer is Russian, Mikhail Panteleev. I don't know why they told you he worked with CDiem. People at the Library over in London told me the same thing. I know he worked for Yohji Yamamoto from 96 to 00. The aesthetic is actually somewhere between Yohji and CDiem. Library had some really incredible blazers by him - made of about a dozen different fabrics. Very, very expensive. The tags on the garments have patches of each fabric that went into the garment. I'm really surprised AB has him, wow. I'm pretty sure noone else does in North America. I believe he still works in Tokyo, and has a showroom in Paris.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

pix

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Thanks Faust! I learned a little something new :)

I don't know how much Volga Volga they carry. At least that shirt.

Thanks again! I may have to check out more of his stuff out of curiosity.

-A

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• xcoldricex
          • Sep 2006

hmmm pictures aren't very impressive... then again it might be one of those cdiem/lmaltieri tricks where stuff looks very bland in pictures

Comment

• kompressorkev
            • Dec 2006

The Archive in san francisco carries Volga Volga according to their designer list. i personally didn't look too hard for it when i was there, so i didn't see any -but they have some nice rare items from icho, masatomo, kiminori morishita, giorgio brato,and gustavo lins too, so i believe that if somewhere else in north america would carry Volga Volga, it would be them. faust, sry i didn't get back to you about the ann dem/dirk schonberger pieces, i wasn't able to make it back to archive on my trip...did you ever call them? i was pissed i didn't make it back to get the black ann dem hooded shirt!

cheers,

kevin

the info i could find about volga volga;

"Mikhail Pantelei - Russian designer of clothing, foot-wear and accessories, known under brand Volga Volga, it lives and works in Tokyo. In 1990 it entered into the Moscow textile academy and, being student, he became the conqueror of different creative competitions, including competition of the young modeller- students (in 1991 and 1992), conducted hearth patronazhem Ecole de la chambre Syndicale de la couture parisiene. In 1993 Mikhail left from the academy, after deciding to work independently, creating small collections and in practice understanding the labor of modeller- designer. At the invitation of the chamber of the mode of Japan during October 1995 it represented its models on the week pret-A- port Osaka collection. This collection drew attention not only presses, but also well-known modellers - Yoshi Yamamoto it proposed to Mikhail to work in his command as the assistant. During June 1996 of the Panteleis it approached the work in company Yohji Yamamoto in Tokyo, while in 2000 it left from it in order to create its own brand Volga Volga. From October of the same year it is regular, twice per year, presents its collections in shourume in Paris, where the models under brand Volga Volga buy known cult butiki, such as Le vetrina di Beril (Milan), ENNU (Amsterdam), Yasmin Cho (London), in which were acquired three models Volga Volga for Nicolas Kidman. C, 20 April of 2002 the collection of Mikhail panteleyeva, selected personally yard Kavakubo, is represented in new conceptual Tokyo butike 10, Corso Como Comme des Garcons, which belongs to founder Comme des Garcons."

this is a pic of Mikhail:

sorry for a bad translation...

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

the translation is quite humorous actually!!!!!..............
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="zamb"]the translation is quite humorous actually!!!!!..............[/quote]

It is pretty funny.

Kompressorkev, that's where I got my summary from, lol. (only I can read Russian)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kompressorkev
                  • Dec 2006

i tried on some f/w 07/08 pieces today, excellent quality. the colors are predictably dark; mainly black (dark grey), patches of navy blue, crimson, grey tones in the jacket and shirtpieces, most of which were constructed of different fabrics. the quality is so sharp, it looks perfectly fine, and very cool whenreversed (though it's not meant to be because the zippers are backwards), but the knit is immaculate. each piece has a samplingedge(attached to the sleeve)ofthe variousfabrics that went into producing the garment (this is a novelty though, meant to be removed when worn). the jacket i tried on had like 5different colored/textured fabrics....wool, cashmere, hemp is all i remember. deciding if i should go for it tonight...the pieces are beautifully constructed (some slightly deconstructed), withsome hidden details, heavy-weight jackets, super light (and super super comfortable) l/s t-shirts. i like what i see so far, but dunno if i can afford it now, and they'll probably be snatched up before i can afford them.

Comment

• Casius
                    • Dec 2006

Kev, you remember any of the price points? On par with Cdiem?

Eastern market is carrying the line as well and they are expecting a shipment to come in very soon.
                    Here's a pic of a coat one of the SA's at eastern market was wearing. (looks fantastic!)

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I remember it being pretty expensive.

The name of the brand is very endearing to any Russian - it's a name of a famous comedy made in 1938.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kompressorkev
                        • Dec 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Kev, you remember any of the price points? On par with Cdiem?

Eastern market is carrying the line as well and they are expecting a shipment to come in very soon.

Here's a pic of a coat one of the SA's at eastern market was wearing. (looks fantastic!)

[/quote]

hey Casius,

a bit similar aesthetic to LMaltieri, but priced slightly less. some deconstruction on some pieces, but alsoimpeccableknit quality, so good thatyou can nearly wear it inside out (if only,the zipperswere not reversed). l/s shirts (cashmere/wool/cotton/elastene i think) were $625, zip-up (fairly-thick) big collared jacket was $1025,i think pants were in the 6-8 range (not too sure about that one), a heavier-jacket was near $2000. the coat you posted i saw in black, i think it was $1600-1800, the viridi-anne or attachment (couldn't tell which one - they were hanging on the same rack) has a similar one, long double-zip...also Label Under Construction hasone. outerwear hovers nearthe 1000 range. sorry, not too clear on the price points; the only things that really struck me were the l/s shirts and that jacket (big collar) that i was debating. i ordered a l/s shirt a while ago, and tracking its shipment, it should be here in a few hours. i'll be sure to post a pic inthe"waywt" thread. hopefully we can see the original japanese price, and determine the markup for american market. i heard from a japanese store (selectshop CORE) that only 8 stores carry Volga Volga - now i'm not sure if that's in Japan or worldwide, but i would not be too surprised if it was worldwide. last year when i talked to maxfields they had not heard of it - but i did hear thatH.Lorenzomay carry it - i willcheck in a month. selectshop CORE is about to update f/w 07/08 soon, and i'm excited. thanks for the picCasius,hopefully we get to see more of Volga Volga soon.prices seem closer to LUC than CDiem from what i've seen; fitment true-to-size if not slightly small, i'm a 48 and wear a large in the pieces i've tried (though i could do medium). hope this helps.

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

Excellent info Kev, thank you! I think an SF trip is in the works for me, probably when the new Barneys opens up this Fall. I miss it up in Northern Cal sometimes, especially SF.
                          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• kompressorkev
                            • Dec 2006

i just got the Volga Volga shirt like 5 mins ago in the mail. it's one of the very soft, very light,almost elastene-like (but stillfitted)l/s shirts, constructed out of different fabrics, and different (slightly deconstructed) pieces (reconstructed / realigned) together. the fabrics are pretty cool - though unlike the jackets i've seen, this one does not have a sampling of the fabrics used, nor doesthe tag say what it's made out of. the tag says it's from 06/07 a/w i think. a bit deconstructed along the seams, some of which run down slightly past the sleeve or out of the bottom hem, and one of them is the tag - built-in, part of the shirt. it's exactly like the new ones i've tried onfor this season though. i'll try to get a pic up soon.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                              • Dec 2006

the texture and colors of the Volga Volga shirt is pretty interesting. it's constructed out of different fabrics and different colored pieces. the material is soft, stretchy, and feels like a mixture betweena cashmere-wool blendandfine-gauze.

tag, extending from seams connecting different colored fabrics

fabrics cut at asymmetrical lengths, seams extend slightly beyond sleeve

exposed seams (shirt can be reversed, the seams are exposed in different areas depending if it's reversed)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎