• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Fernando Pessoa--The Green Dress

[quote user="laika"]

Yes, I think it fits in very well with your line of thought. The Duras is an interesting counterpoint--it is almost the exact opposite!</p>

BTW, do you want to change the name of this thread--perhaps other people would contribute as well.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Ok.</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Buckwheat
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

Wim Wenders, on first wearing clothes by Yamamoto.</p>

"I had bought a shirt and a jacket. You know the sensation you feel when you put on a new garment: you look in the mirror, happy and a bit excited in your new skin. But wearing that shirt and jacket I was different; they were old and new at the same time. In the mirror I was myself, undoubtedly, only I was more myself than before. I had a strange sensation...yes, I was wearing the shirt par excellence and the perfect jacket, and beneath them I was myself. I felt protected, like a knight in his armor."
      </p>

[/quote]</p>

This quote is priceless. I've watched it over and over again.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Are you both talking about this documentary "notebook on cities and clothes"?</p>

As much as I admire Yohji and his works....I still haven't seen this documentary.[:#] But I just bought this DVD for $7 the other day and I can't wait to watch it.
      </p>

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

Beautiful quotes, laika.</p>

Buckwheat, I <span style="font-style: italic;">need </span>to watch that documentary too. Where did you buy it?
        </p>

</p>

Yohji Yamamoto in conversation with Laurence Benaim.
        "I prefer to show the hidden body. I'm a man but I think that was is on the inside is the sexiest. If this season I have suggested a symbolic body by using pleats and tucks to indicate the figure, the bosom, the side, the back, it is because I don't like to show the body ostentatiously. I prefer to dream. In Japan, all the girls wear low slung trousers. When I see how important the body has become, the triumph of cosmetics and plastic surgery, I wonder if clothes are still necessary."
        </p>
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Buckwheat, yes, that's the one.</p>

Faust, thanks for changing the title</p>

Avanster, that's a great addition to the thread! Really lovely. </p>
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Buckwheat
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

Beautiful quotes, laika.</P>

Buckwheat, I <SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">need </SPAN>to watch that documentary too. Where did you buy it?
            </P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Yohji Yamamoto in conversation with Laurence Benaim.
            "I prefer to show the hidden body. I'm a man but I think that was is on the inside is the sexiest. If this season I have suggested a symbolic body by using pleats and tucks to indicate the figure, the bosom, the side, the back, it is because I don't like to show the body ostentatiously. I prefer to dream. In Japan, all the girls wear low slung trousers. When I see how important the body has become, the triumph of cosmetics and plastic surgery, I wonder if clothes are still necessary."
            </P>

[/quote]</P>

Avantster - I bought the DVD on ebay. It's brand new too.</P>

thanks for the quote BTW. </P>

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Avanster, do you have Netflix in Australia? You can just rent it.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Unfortunately no - there are a few other similar services here in Aus albeit less titles and less reliable. Might just look out for ebay, thanks guys!
                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

More Yohji:</p>

<span id="?intelliTXT&quot;"><font color="Gray">
                  "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I
                  want so see scars, failure, disorder, distortion. If I can feel those
                  things in work by others, then I like them. Perfection is a kind of
                  order, like overall harmony and so on... They are things someone forces
                  on to a thing. A free human being does not desire such things. And yet
                  I get the feeling there are a lot of women who do not seek freedom;
                  women who wear symmetrical clothes."</font></span>

</p>
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

Re: Quotes about Fashion and Clothing

Not about fashion, but I've always thought this was an amazing observation about clothing, war, and the built environment. I used it in my prospectus. [8-|]</p>

Orwell, writing about the appearance of Barcelona a few months after the start of the revolution.
                    </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">

</p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">"It was the first time that I
                    had ever been<span style=""> </span>in a town where the
                    working class was in the saddle. Practically every building of any size had
                    been seized by the workers and was draped with red flags or with the red and black flag of the Anarchists; every wall was scrawled with the hammer
                    and sickle and with the initials of the revolutionary parties; almost every
                    church had been gutted and its images burnt?<span style="background: rgb(160, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; color: black; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;">?</span> The revolutionary posters were everywhere,
                    flaming from the walls in clean reds and blues that made the few remaining advertisements
                    look like daubs of mud. Down the Ramblas, the wide central artery of the town
                    where crowds of people streamed constantly to and fro, the loudspeakers were
                    bellowing revolutionary songs all day and far into the night.</span><span style=""> </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">And it was the
                    aspect of the crowds that was the queerest thing of all. In outward appearance
                    it was a town in which the wealthy classes had practically ceased to exist.
                    Except for a small number of women and foreigners there were no 'well-dressed'
                    people at all. Practically everyone wore rough working-class clothes, or blue
                    overalls, or some variant of the militia uniform. All this was queer and
                    moving. There was much in it that I did not understand, in some ways I did not
                    even like it, but I recognized it immediately as a state of affairs worth
                    fighting for."</span></p>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"></span></p>

Comment

• darkanimal
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

More Yohji:</p>

<span id="?intelliTXT&quot;"><font color="Gray">
                      "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I
                      want so see scars, failure, disorder, distortion. If I can feel those
                      things in work by others, then I like them. Perfection is a kind of
                      order, like overall harmony and so on... They are things someone forces
                      on to a thing. A free human being does not desire such things. And yet
                      I get the feeling there are a lot of women who do not seek freedom;
                      women who wear symmetrical clothes."</font></span>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Very nice, I like things to be slightly off. I also like it when designers use weird looking models.</p>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

Wim Wenders, on first wearing clothes by Yamamoto.</p>

"I had bought a shirt and a jacket. You know the sensation you feel when you put on a new garment: you look in the mirror, happy and a bit excited in your new skin. But wearing that shirt and jacket I was different; they were old and new at the same time. In the mirror I was myself, undoubtedly, only I was more myself than before. I had a strange sensation...yes, I was wearing the shirt par excellence and the perfect jacket, and beneath them I was myself. I felt protected, like a knight in his armor."
                        </p>

[/quote]</p>

This quote is priceless. I've watched it over and over again.</p>

[/quote]</p>

This is now incorporated into my thesis - page 6. Thank you for taking the trouble typing it out.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

Re: Quotes about Fashion

You are most welcome. I can't get it out of my head either, to be honest.</p>

And congrats on reaching page 6! I can't wait to hear about it.</p>

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Re: Quotes about Fashion

[quote user="laika"]

You are most welcome. I can't get it out of my head either, to be honest.</p>

And congrats on reaching page 6! I can't wait to hear about it.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Since then I'm on page 8 [:P] Need to do research on Faust now [;)]
                            </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                              • Jan 2007

[quote user="laika"]

Marguerite Duras, from The Lover</P>

"I tried on that hat, just for a laugh; I looked at myself in the shop mirror and saw, under that man's hat, the awkward skinniness of my frame, defect of my age, become something else. It ceased to be a crude and fatal fact of nature and became the opposite, a choice running counter to nature, a choice of spirit. I see myself as another, as another would see me, from the outside, available to all, exposed to everyone's gaze, let loose in a circuit of cities, streets and pleasures. I buy the hat. I shall wear it always. Now that I own a hat that completely transforms me, I'll never abandon it."[/quote]</P>

Off-topic but it'sslightlyhilarious how the way Marguerite Duras dresses has become its own cottage industry in France. One of the few alcoholic OAPs to be a fashion icon.</P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                              the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                                • Jan 2007

[quote user="laika"]

Marguerite Duras, from The Lover</P>

"I tried on that hat, just for a laugh; I looked at myself in the shop mirror and saw, under that man's hat, the awkward skinniness of my frame, defect of my age, become something else. It ceased to be a crude and fatal fact of nature and became the opposite, a choice running counter to nature, a choice of spirit. I see myself as another, as another would see me, from the outside, available to all, exposed to everyone's gaze, let loose in a circuit of cities, streets and pleasures. I buy the hat. I shall wear it always. Now that I own a hat that completely transforms me, I'll never abandon it."[/quote]</P>

Off-topic but it'sslightlyhilarious how the way Marguerite Duras dressedbecameits own cottage industry in France. One of the few alcoholic OAPs to be a fashion icon.</P>
                                <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                                the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎