Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJRH
    • Nov 2006

"When sitting in a shabby carriage, one can actually put on such airs that the whole carriage looks good, and the horse too." -Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
    ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• safeword123
      • Jul 2008

"Fashion today is all about the product. With all the pre-collections and the shows that are just marketing exercises, it has turned into a system. For an old romantic like me, this is hurting a little bit. That’s why I try to do things my way. I like to have happy people around me, and it’s for these people that I create my collections. Fashion should never be too dark or too gloomy: it should evoke feelings of joy. I believe in clothes as tools for self-expression. The biggest compliment is if I see someone on the street wearing something I have created in a way I would never have imagined. Clothes should always tell something of the person that wears them – and very little of the designer who made them."
      - Dries Van Noten

Comment

• MJRH
        • Nov 2006

^that quote's a great summary of Dries' spirit

"For a tradition to remain alive, we owe it both respect and disobedience." -Olga Berluti

...if that's disobedience, i want more of it
        ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• gall
          • Jan 2013

“In my experience most emotional movements coincide with the start of something, like the moment I get an idea and just know it is going to work. As soon as I discovered the power clothes have, the impact they can have on your feelings, your identity, and self-image, I decided to make a career of it. The study of how clothes contain and convey emotion was the starting point for my work and is still its essence.” -Ann Demeulemeester

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Indeed.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Atom
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Atom View Post
              "I have only one style, and will have it, and repeat myself until I'm gone, but this style is my own."

Hedi Slimane
              (Anthology Of A Decade / HUGE, April 2011)
              Last edited by Atom; 01-24-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• stephlinn
                • May 2012

"A beautiful design makes a beautiful ruin"
                -Ann Demeulemeester

Comment

• safeword123
                  • Jul 2008

Q: You don’t think they (fast fashion) copy other designers?
                  A: Listen, everyone copies.
                  - Azzedine Alaïa

Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy, you will find yourself.
                  - Yohji Yamamoto

Comment

• messenoire
                    • Nov 2009

""Black is not sad. Bright colors are what depresses me. They’re so … empty. Black is poetic. How do you imagine a poet? In a bright yellow jacket? Probably not." -ann demeulemeester

Comment

• galia
                      • Jun 2009

This is funny because 19th century poets (I'm assuming this is what she's referring to) did not dress in black so much. Outwear maybe, but there were a lot of colourful cravats and vests, au minimum. This is a vision of poets as reimagined by the punks/new wave/goths

Comment

• shah
                        • Jul 2009

"I mean no wonder everyone else thinks fashion is for vacuous retards, hell they're probably right."

- Fuuma le philosophe rageur

Comment

• Alseal
                          • Dec 2012

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts”
                          ― Jim Morrison

Comment

• safeword123
                            • Jul 2008

''I'm trying to make it modern, to advance my thinking,'' she said. Even details like neckties. She examined hundreds to figure out what a Jil Sander tie should be. ''My poor brother,'' she said. ''He has 200 ties from me. For me, a tie is like a miniskirt. I never understand that piece.''
                            July, 1997

Comment

• Alseal
                              • Dec 2012

"The clothes held considerably less value than a box of Saint Laurent labels. Without the label attached to them, Mr. Slimane’s grunge dresses wouldn’t attract interest — because they’re not special. But a box of labels is worth a million..." - Cathy Horyn

Comment

• safeword123
                                • Jul 2008

Q. We’re seeing a lot of punk on the runways this season. What do you think?

A. I don’t follow fashion. I really don’t. I’ve never been interested in it. I think punk has entered into the iconography of fashion. In 1970 or 1969, the shop we have, Worlds End at 430 Kings Road, that was Mr Freedom. I went in there and bought a pair of tight leopard-printed velvet trousers. I had never seen anything like it. It was the most amazing thing. Punk says rebellion. Now every child has seen this.
                                Vivienne Westwood: At 71, Still Not Done Provoking, Eric Wilson for NYT

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎