• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

This is a show invite.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• u-ti
      • Apr 2012

branding, money and all that, but this i have a hard time understanding...

Comment

• Graygoose
        • Jul 2013

The new era collabo puzzled me as well, seemed to be more congruent with the current fashion in Japan rather than Yohji's native style.
        August Pope

Instagram: august_pope

There is beauty in decay.

Comment

• H-R
          • May 2007

Really? I've been out of it for many years, but for Japanese sub-culture, I've always associated New Era with the Urahara crowd, like BAPE, MadHectic, Atmos etc, and not anything remotely close to Yohji at all...

Comment

• u-ti
            • Apr 2012

well i can see the relation between the new-era look and the recent japanese street-wear trend with brands like boy london and ktz, but still, not much to do with yohji and his aesthetics nor vision. cant imagine this hat going with his clothes at all.

Comment

• mlbbx
              • Aug 2013

no idea what yohji's actual reasoning is, but he's shown an interest in streetwear before. maybe this just fits in that vein.

"As Yamamoto recalls, the idea for Y-3 first emerged when he requested some sneakers from Adidas for a show, which was intended as a subversive nod to the brand's currency with street kids in Japan, who, at the time, were going through one of their periodic infatuations with triple-striped track suits."

from here: http://www.interviewmagazine.com/fas...i-yamamoto-1#_

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

The reasoning is young people by and large don't care about Yohji. I mean, he's not even on their radar the way CdG is. Maybe a way to bring some brand awareness?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
                  • Jul 2013

The only people I've seen with Y-3 sneakers are middle-aged men in grey suits.

Comment

• u-ti
                    • Apr 2012

i see y-3 as something else from this, although the 2 acts could share the same ambitions, y-3 had the capability for him to still play around with.
                    all i can see here is a logo on a typical new era hat (potentially some died fabric but might just be the lightings in the photo).
                    i have a hard time believing that many youngsters that discover yohji through this will actually follow him and wear his main line.

Comment

• k3mist
                      • Apr 2013

im amused by the new era cap as well.
                      as faust said, its yohji trying to be relevant to the younger crowd.
                      basically his version of this

Comment

• church of tiamat
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by u-ti View Post
                        i have a hard time believing that many youngsters that discover yohji through this will actually follow him and wear his main line.
                        up. especially when his main line is something not even one percent close to this new era hat. in my opinion this NE project should just not happen

Comment

• mlbbx
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          The reasoning is young people by and large don't care about Yohji. I mean, he's not even on their radar the way CdG is. Maybe a way to bring some brand awareness?
                          I hope it's not as shallow and desperate as that. Y-3 seems to be doing the job anyway.

Justin Bieber and fashion designer Yohji Yamamoto meet backstage at the Y-3 Spring/Summer 2014 show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week on September 8, 2013 in New York City.

Comment

• Picasso
                            • Jul 2013

Just about to post that same pic ugh

Comment

• dantebykiko
                              • Aug 2011

Yohji doesn't own his company anymore. He controls only the two mainlines and don't compromise there. The investors are trying to get their money back - perfume, shooting celebrities etc.. Y-3 again it's pretty much out of yohji's hands. His role there it'a to put the collection together - fittings and styling.

The newera thing it's not so surprising. They doing some celebration of how many years of the brand and asking designers if they can contribute. I think it's Japan only.. Anyway I wish it was black on black.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ Do they also force him to hang with the Biebs?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎