X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tweeds
    • Sep 2006

chameleon - Depends on where you're based, if you're in the UK the_book_depository is selling new copies on amazon/Abebooks for £25. The local store is selling for £30 - 35, but i'm going to stick with them since they've been good to me with discounts in the past.

Just noticed amazon also appears to have re-stocked their copies globally.
    SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

They are all over Europe for 30 EUR a pop. Those looking for good pictures in the book will be disappointed.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tweeds
        • Sep 2006

Faust, you have a copy? How's the writing?
        To be honest some of my favourite bits of Yohji-related print material is the text itself, i don't often get with fashion writing but the way Yohji thinks and speaks (well, a translation of the way he thinks) is particularly interesting.
        SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I decided not to pull the trigger - not sure why, to be honest. Well, I suppose still waiting for the miracle to come (that is for the publisher to send me a reviewer's copy).
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by tweeds View Post
            chameleon - Depends on where you're based, if you're in the UK the_book_depository is selling new copies on amazon/Abebooks for £25. The local store is selling for £30 - 35, but i'm going to stick with them since they've been good to me with discounts in the past.

Just noticed amazon also appears to have re-stocked their copies globally.
            Fiddlesticks, I ordered mine straight from Ludion last week because Amazon and Waterstones were out of stock. Oh well, hopefully it will be worth it!
            "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by tweeds View Post
              Faust, you have a copy? How's the writing?
              To be honest some of my favourite bits of Yohji-related print material is the text itself, i don't often get with fashion writing but the way Yohji thinks and speaks (well, a translation of the way he thinks) is particularly interesting.
              Before I saw that Wim Wenders doc and up to that point was just acquainted with Yohji the person via textual interviews, I had a way in my mind of how he delivered those words (I imagined in the English on the page) and what his voice would sound like. Can't say I was "disappointed" when hearing him speak, but it wasn't the image I had built up in my head!
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• tweeds
                • Sep 2006

^ It's always slightly disconcerting when that happens, aural expectations are powerful things.

In other news, V&A released their exhibition cover image by Nick Knight:

Yohji garments delivered, unpacked, and being condition-checked at the V&A:

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• syed
                  • Sep 2010

(Curator's Blog in relation to Tweed's post)

I already pre-ordered the exhibition catalogue, I can't wait to see exhibition, it looks and sounds promising thus far. Plus I really want to see what they do at the Wapping Project.
                  "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I should be getting a reviewer's copy as well.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sagill1119
                      • Oct 2010

The 30 years japanese fashion exhibition in London is great, I loved every single pieces from old yohji collection. A great place to visit when in London.

Comment

• nqth
                        • Sep 2006

an article abt yamamoto in the telegraph

An interview with Yohji Yamamoto, whose three decades of controversial and revolutionary design are being celebrated with an exhibition at the V&A.

'I have been collecting so many secondhand clothes for 30 years,' Yamamoto says. 'Army uniforms are made with special thread, for certain specific reasons - for the fight, or for protection. Ordinarily you cannot order those types of fabrics. There is no ornament; everything is necessary.' He refers to these clothes - a mad mix of the military and the folk, traditional clothing from around the world and through different periods of time - to recreate a particular fabric, or to be inspired by the cut of a jacket. There is an honesty about these clothes that he likes.
                        Every garment will be shown to Yamamoto 10 or more times (it is usual for a designer to make changes to a toile three or four times), for fittings that last for days at a time, as he cuts into the fabric, drapes, pins and creates on the body; each piece of clothing is a process from the fabric itself to the pattern cutting to the fittings, the embroideries (it's not always all plain and black), and finally the finished product.

Everything is made in Japan, and often pieces are finished by hand as part of a cottage industry keeping alive the arts and crafts of the country's traditional textiles business. It is about as far away from industrialised fast fashion as is possible to be. While the design and cutting is done in Tokyo, every one of Yamamoto's fabrics is made specially in Kyoto at the family-run Chiso factory, which was established in 1555, when it made garments for monks, and has been producing Japan's finest ceremonial kimonos for decades. A single kimono can take up to one year to produce, using up to 15 artisan processes along the way.

It is an extraordinary relationship - a 21st-century operation that can connect Yamamoto with a dying breed of artisans capable of the finest craftsmanship. Here, in the suburbs of Kyoto, up impossibly narrow, steep staircases is a kimono painter, Mr Kimura, who sits down at his workshop table every day, using a rice paste to stop the colours seeping into each other, working 10-hour days to produce five or six kimonos a month. It was this ancient Yuzen technique that was used to create the extraordinary oversize kimonos Yamamoto designed for his friend Takeshi Kitano's poetic 2002 film, Dolls .

Here, too, are the embroiderers, only three of them, in a sun-filled room, their sharp eyes focusing on millions of often microscopic stitches in the most exquisite shiny silk thread that appears to have been spun like candyfloss. A single kimono takes 12 days to embroider in this way. This workshop, at the top of another steep staircase, is run by Mr Murayama. He hand-dyes his own threads now because the supplies are no longer available in the subtle range of colours he requires. When Yamamoto needed special embroideries for costumes for Elton John's Red Piano tour in 2003, this is where they were done. The samples are still in the archive - silky spiders, and silver and gold safety pins so heavily worked that they look almost three-dimensional and real.

For special projects, when money is no object, Yamamoto can indulge in using the craftsmanship he loves. But it is surprising when I am taken to visit a machine embroiderer in a block of flats on the outskirts of Kyoto, who is busy working on sections of jackets for the spring/summer 2011 Yohji Yamamoto menswear collection. Mrs Yamagata, who has been sewing like this for 40 years, is stitching bright motifs on 60 jackets, each badge taking 15 minutes, deftly moving the fabric freestyle, without a foot to keep it in place, around the needle of the sewing machine. These hand-finished jackets will go on sale this spring for £1,870. Mrs Yamagata reminds me of how Fumi Yamamoto would once have worked, sewing away at home to make a living for herself and her only son.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                          • Jan 2008

A single kimono can take up to one year to produce, using up to 15 artisan processes along the way.

Even though one is aware of these time consuming processes,
                          it always stuns me when I read it.

Thank you for the article, nqth.

Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM.
                          Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                          Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Excellent and insightful article - thanks, nqth!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• chameleon
                              • Jun 2008

Great article! Thank you so much for posting, nqth.

Comment

• michael_kard
                                • Oct 2010

I've been thinking of preordering this, what do you think?
                                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎