Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Yohji Yamamoto

Throwing my favorite Yohji photograph into the pile. I don't believe this particular shot has made it onto the thread.

So much symbolism here...

sain't

That is a beautiful photo. It is by Thierry Bouet.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

R.I.P.

photo by Buckwheat

Last edited by endersgame; 01-09-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Was coming here to post that the gansevoort storeis shut down too. :(
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

2nd and thanks for sharing... Wondering why I didn't stop by this thread earlier. Although Yohji doesn't fit my particular style I really appreciate his work and adore the silhouette he creates - not to mention the art.

Any chance of higher resolution pics of the Thierry Bouet picture / his ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    That is a beautiful photo. It is by Thierry Bouet.
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Is the Soho store really closed, then? For good? That is heartbreaking. Does this mean all of his stores will be closing?

Yes... Gladly I've seen his european stores.

It's so sad to close the US store after opening a new one in Paris recently... I sincerely hope the ones from Paris, London and Antwerp will survive this.

According to someone at the store, the Paris store remains open, at least for now. Don't know how reliable this information is, maybe it will close further in the year, anyway the sale here is nothing compared to the one in NY (basic 40% off) and that looks like a good sign to me.

Does this mean that even the US distributors like barneys are going to drop it? Not that I would buy yohji from barneys either, but it was nice being able to see the pieces in person.

Paid a visit to the Antwerp store today: was told that it was recently announced to the staff members that the store will close down.

SS2010 will not hit the floors: instead, remains of the current- and previous collections will be shipped over from Paris to Antwerp.

Beautiful store with such a short live lived.

Paid my last respects to the Antwerp temple. I wanted to take lots of photographs of the shop. Usually the mannequins at the front are dressed in signature pieces, but this time they stood bare and empty. After only taking one shot of them, the film crank on my Rolleiflex, which has been going for some thirty something years, stopped working. A poignant and bittersweet reminder that sometimes, this is just the way life is.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fade to Black View Post
    Anybody know details about the defunct GOTHIC sublabel of YYPH? I have two hand-me down l/s tees from it, one black and the other black with subtle white stripe-pattern. Mercerized cotton, unbelievable quality...the cotton feels more like silk and the black hasn't worn off at all. My dad doesn't remember anything except that he bought them a long time ago, and very little info seems to be available. There was a very long overcoat on eBay a while back that went for like USD$40, IIRC. It looked very shapeless, and very black. Fabric was probably out of this world though, if my t-shirts are anything to go by.
    I have YYPH GOTHIC blazer, found it in thrift store, 90% wool/ 10% nylon, light brown, brown, dark brown(checkered). The quality is indeed out of this world.
    Sorry if pictures are to big :(
    color is not 100% accurate

____
    sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

regarding GOTHIC label, I have a trench coat from this line and it is fucking awesome, thick wool gabardine which is as soft as cotton jersey. I think Brian told me that the label was used in the late 80s early 90s, not sure though, his actual response is buried in the small questions thread. All I can say is I can't wait for winter to get some wear out of it.

Sorry, this doesn't 'really' belong here, but thought this was cute:

http://www.dazeddigital.com/FashionW...shionWeek1AW10

Not the fashion, but YY's walk-on at the end.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

I was talking to one of the former Yohji employees at the Narciso Rodriguez show the next day, and he thought it was rather distasteful and that Yohji would never come up with something like that. Take it for what it's worth, I don't have an opinion on this either way...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

very very odd, rather uncomfortable spectacle. was the implication that it was somehow forced on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    very very odd, rather uncomfortable spectacle. was the implication that it was somehow forced on him?
    something like that.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Tumblr dedicated to Yohji launched by Inaya
    http://yohjiyamamotolove.tumblr.com

I bought Kiyokazu Washida's たかが服、されど服, thinking that it would just be an essay on Yohji and a way for me to practice reading japanese. Turns out there were some runway pics from aw81 up until 2000. If there is interest, I can post them up. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner, and only a really shitty point-and-shoot camera to take pics of it so quality will be so-so. Maybe some/most of you have seen these already?

Anyway, I snapped a few before my memory card filled up, so here are the first pics. If people are interested, I can post up some more in a few days.

a/w 81-82, s/s 83

s/s 83

a/w 83-84

s/s 84, a/w 83-84

s/s 84

a/w 84-85

s/s 85, a/w 84-85