X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

It's great to see someone else who appreciates Yohji, TarHeart. Re Japan vs international pricing, Faust is about right. If you can be patient your best bet is to keep searching Y! japan, you will find current and/or previous season items at bargain prices.

Would like to write more about Yohji's concept about 'designing time' (distinct from timelessness) at a later point, it's worthy of discussion.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
      • Aug 2008

I echo what the others have to say regarding Japanese pricing. The best way to go if possible is finding used yohji in japan. Some of the second hand shops (monotone in shibuya being a very good example) have a good stock of yohji at unbeatable prices. I think since his stuff is not so much in vogue in japan at the moment the resale market is quite reasonable. There are still very good deals to be had on yahoo japan as well, even with proxy fees, shipping and a bad currency conversion.

Comment

• Chant
        Banned
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by TarHeart View Post
        These questions and thoughts have been spinning in my mind since Christian found out that this Yamamoto hooded sweater was 1200 euro, and then I never got back to him even though I had been till this moment very insistent.
        Fixed.

Comment

• TarHeart
          • Jun 2009

haha, I'm sorry Christian! I didn't mean to seem rude, or ungrateful when not answering. The amount just came as a surprise (or shock), and I couldn't come up with a conclusion about what to do and it has really been bugging me ever since. I am still thinking about it. I was really grateful for your help, I still am, and I think it is very kind of you to provide the service, but I just have to think about it. I'm really sorry if my behaviour seemed rude.

I didn't want to make it sound like it never had been discussed before, I just thought it maybe could be something to discuss a little bit more. I guess it could be an interesting topic for all of us who don't have unlimited money access.

Anyway, thanks for all the response Faust, Avantster and Stadsvandringar. I expected the prices to be lower, but 40-50 %, that really makes a difference, certainly makes Yohji more palatable. Yahoo Auctions is a very interesting option, but I am a little bit concerned about plagiarism. I know not many well-known designers get away without being plagiarized. Is there a big, or small risk in buying Yamamoto-stuff from Yahoo? Is he exposed a lot to plagiarism? Do anyone know?

I would also like to know, how do you all interpret the expression that Yohji use - "designing time"?

Comment

• Avantster
            ¤¤¤
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TarHeart View Post
            Anyway, thanks for all the response Faust, Avantster and Stadsvandringar. I expected the prices to be lower, but 40-50 %, that really makes a difference, certainly makes Yohji more palatable. Yahoo Auctions is a very interesting option, but I am a little bit concerned about plagiarism. I know not many well-known designers get away without being plagiarized. Is there a big, or small risk in buying Yamamoto-stuff from Yahoo? Is he exposed a lot to plagiarism? Do anyone know?
            As long as you stay away from Y3 and fragrances, there is next to no risk of fakes. Particularly so with pour homme, which simply does not have enough mainstream appeal to warrant fakes being made. I would however suggest against buying sight unseen online until you are certain the YYPH cut works for you, it's definitely not for everyone and resale prices are not high.
            let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• droogist
              • Sep 2006

Apparently there's a rumour going around right now that Yohji's sold the company to an Italian group...

Comment

• droogist
                • Sep 2006

Yohji files for bankruptcy, finds investor

So the rumour wasn't exactly on the mark - it's not an Italian group after all, but a Japanese investor...

Press release from Integral: http://integ625.rsjp.net/file.php?id=1255063769

9th October, 2009
                FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Integral Entered Into Agreement To Sponsor Yohji Yamamoto Inc.

Integral Corporation and Integral 1 Limited Partnership (collectively “Integral”) are pleased to announce that they have entered into a sponsor agreement to invest in the internationally respected, high-end clothing brands, Yohji Yamamoto Inc. and Limi Yamamoto Inc. (Representative Director: Mr. Shohei Ohtsuka, Head Office: Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo)

Yohji Yamamoto Inc. has gained a world wide reputation as a leading high-end fashion brand created through the unique vision of its chief designer, Mr. Yohji Yamamoto. Yohji Yamamoto Inc. has been highly respected in the industry since its Paris debut in 1981 and has been ranked in the top 10 designers by the French Journal du Textile. Yohji Yamamoto Inc.’s brand lines include “Yohji Yamamoto”, “Y’s” and “Y-3” (collaboration with adidas AG). Limi Yamamoto Inc.’s brand (“LIMI feu”) debuted at Paris collection in 2006 under the leadership of its renowned designer, Ms. Limi Yamamoto.

To execute the transaction, Integral will form a special purpose company to acquire businesses, related
                subsidiaries and assets from Yohji Yamamoto Inc. Yohji Yamamoto Inc. filed for bankruptcy protection from creditors under the Civil Rehabilitation Law on 9 October 2009. Prior to transaction close, Tokyo District Court must authorize the carve out and transfer of Yohji Yamamoto Inc.’s business. Following approval and signing of agreements, Integral’s special purpose company will become the new Yohji Yamamoto Inc.

With the support of its new financial sponsor, the new Yohji Yamamoto Inc. and Limi Yamamoto Inc. will
                continue to design high-end apparel as they have done in the past for the runways in Paris, New York, Beijing and Tokyo and further strengthen their retail and wholesale distribution channels.

Integral invests in Japanese companies with a long-range perspective and a unique approach called “hybrid investment” which consists of both principal and fund investments. Integral plans to make a hybrid investment into the new Yohji Yamamoto Inc. and is committed to partnering with Yohji Yamamoto Inc. for long-term success. Integral will provide Yohji Yamamoto Inc. with capital and financing as well as assist with management resources, including appointing Mr. Yoshihiro Hemmi (Integral’s partner; former CEO at Tohato Inc. and Vice-President at adidas Japan) as Chairman of the Board.

Please Contact Integral For Additional Information:
                Pacific Century Place 30F, 1-11-1 Marunouchi Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan 100-6230
                Integral Corporation
                Tel: +81-3-6212-7301 Fax: +81-3-6212-7302
                URL: http://www.integralkk.com/en/

About Integral Corporation
                Integral Corporation was founded in September 2007 with the support of GCA Savvian Group Corporation (TSE Mothers Market, ticker: 2174, Head Quarters: 1-11-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan) (http://www.gcasavvian.com/en). “Integral” stands for “to accumulate over time”. Integral will make long-term equity investment based on a strong relationship of deepest trust with management, and aim to build the highest wisdom “over time”. Integral will share the same objectives and time horizon with the management of invested companies, and provide support in both managerial and financial areas. Integral invests in both listed and unlisted Japanese companies from a long-range perspective with a unique approach called “hybrid investment” which consists of principal and fund investment. Integral will aspire to become a trusted company by offering both managerial and financial support (“i-Engine function”) and thereby will contribute to our society.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

after a more detailed look at the f/w collection for both mens and womens, the clothes are indeed a step down from the previous few years. The womens was great to look at, but the wools were not very nice. Mens is even more of a disappointment in terms of fabric quality. The cornerstone piece of YYPH this f/w seems to be the Che suit indeed, with the highest level of construction craftsmanship and fabric quality - it's also the most expensive jacket/trousers on the whole mens' floor not counting the 500K yen dyed printed leather jackets - about 138,000 yen for the top and 78,000 yen for the bottom. Most of the standard wool jackets/pants in black gabardine seem to be rehashes of previous stuff.
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ The red/black pieces were awesome. The rest was pretty forgettable.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      /\ The red/black pieces were awesome. The rest was pretty forgettable.
                      yeah i finally got to handle these yesterday, they were easily the best part of the womens' stuff. Most of the others were just unsuccessful variations of yohji standards (the black coat, gabardine shirt/dress/coat, etc. but with superfluous detailing)
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

Sigh.

Well, I guess you can't say we didn't see it coming.

Sad times, indeed.

Originally posted by wire.artist
                        http://www.vogue.co.uk/search/defaul...Yohji+Yamamoto

to understand why his last collection is considered weak, just take a look at his previous work.
                        Makes me smile to look at these. If anyone is yet to see his 1999 SS 'Bride' collection, do take a look. A sublime collection and arguably his best work.

Comment

• comedyzen
                          • May 2009

I was very surprised to hear about this on the radio. With all his levels and collaborations Yohji has filed for bankruptcy.

Comment

• comedyzen
                            • May 2009

Well..the ship hasn't sunk. Some investors came in and will carry him. And unfortunately, YY will only have a minority stake.

I think this is a matter of too many stores during a a time when the economy heads south. Yohji just wants to design the goods.....it is hard for him to have oversight on his empires. He has God knows how many lines? He'll be fine. I just hope his style isn't affected by all this.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ Well, judging by the radical departure of the last womens collection, maybe it has been affected.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

y's boutique 1980s
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎