Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Yohji Yamamoto

Default heart on.

FW 2009
    sain't

Filmmaker Wim Wenders,
    who memorably captured Yamamoto in his own habitat
    for the 1989 documentary Notebook on Cities and Clothes,
    recently reconnected with the designer, now 69,
    in Tokyo to discuss 10 years of Y-3, how he maintains his edge,
    and why it's still best not to mess with him in a dark alley.

WW in conversation with YY in INTERVIEW Magazine

{{ It's excellent. }}

Last edited by interest1; 06-02-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    sain't

WT----???

Ys by Yohji Yamamoto x adidas_Super Position

everybody be doing collabs with everyone.

i was reading some posts of when this thread first started, which kind of reminded me of my early encounters with yohji garments.
    i had a very simple yohji shirt back when i was still in high school. from then, i visited the shop now and then but couldn't manage to make myself so convinced with the fit, not that i could afford much then.
    10 years from then, the looks and the fit of his clothes evolved to something i can feel at most ease when wearing, both in terms of comfort and style.

i wonder if many others have this experience, of course part of it must have been me just being young and building up my own style, and maybe its just the change of culture in the era.
    but his clothes have given me a stronger feel of this building up process than other designers, and as yohji talks about personality and such in his clothes, this aspect draws me a strong interest.

There is certainly something mature about Yohji's clothes, the tailoring, the attention to detail (I don't know anyone else who puts so much thought into what essentially is a suit), the choice of fabrics. It's quietly elegant. I wonder when I'm going to finally grow up and start wearing it. :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

all i want to wear day in day out is yohji and dries. not sure what that says about me maturity wise, but if age is a factor for maturity, my tastes are mature. yohji and dries seem to shroud me in a sense of a reserved contentedness.

Default YOHJI'S TOKYO HOME

YOHJI'S TOKYO HOME

source: Harper's Bazaar (American Edition) June 1999

wow, thanks for sharing!
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Thanks, Surver. It was a fun read.

(fuck yeah, Brutalism)
    Last edited by kagitsune; 07-21-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added something
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohji Yamamoto, on his second Paris show
    From the next collection it became a war. I didn't want a war but too much attack made me fight.' And you are a good fighter, I say, referring to his black belt in karate. 'I am,' he nods.

Damn, son. I bet Rick is jealous right now...

But I can't read it - could you post a link to the page with the text?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

you can just change the flickr link to make it bigger Faust:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5337/9...e3ba2287_b.jpg

it should be a bit more legible now

Or you could do what I did and read it on your iphone lol

Merci!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by ironman View Post

you can just change the flickr link to make it bigger Faust:

it should be a bit more legible now

Or, we can change back our photo dimension limit so we can actually enjoy photos (and the text within) again.

This is why I've all but stopped posting images to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Damn, son. I bet Rick is jealous right now...

But I can't read it - could you post a link to the page with the text?
    Ahem..
    sain't

Oh, stop complaining and post some of those amazing photos!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

@Faust The reason I posted those photos was that Ko Nakano was wearing head-to-toe Yohji and he pulled it off. Thus, I think it'd be an interesting fitting reference for anyone interested in wearing his clothes. I'm really sorry if it's prohibited.

anyways, here below is some interesting back details from yyph ss09

I understand. I am just saying we don't really post photos of random people wearing designers - that's what street style blogs are for. We only ogle in the WAYWT thread :-)

I mean, I am not entirely against it, it's personal style, and that's fine, but it's better if it's done in a specific context - i.e. talking about a specific aspect of a designer's work (say, we are discussing a roomy silhouette and you post a photo as proof that it works on certain people).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I agree that YYPH works on certain people. No specific characteristic can be identified. You could be short,tall,fat,thin,young or old. It might work on A who is short and small, in the other hands, it might not work on B who has decent build at all. Yohji's works itself are based on imperfections. Thus, I think it is very important to accept the imperfection his clothes offer you.

I found this at an antiques fair, but I don't speak french. Can someone confirm this as being an actual advertisement for AW 93'/94' show itself? Also if somebody has a clip of the show a link would be appreciated.