X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivwri
    • Jun 2011

Hi Xeraphim,

Which fabrics of the hakama pants did you see in the stockist you went to? Would love to pick up the wool iteration for sure, but wondering what other fabrics have been used.

Can't wait until I can see the pieces in the flesh. Plan to be happily broke as well soon .
    Tumblr

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ Could you tell us why Yohji is immensely popular in Nigeria?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• shdws
        • Sep 2011

/\

Why can't it be :/
        Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

No reason why it can't, I am curious to know why it is. I can tell you why it's popular in Russia - the rich men there are usually fat and like to wear black.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ivwri
            • Jun 2011

Hm, in my experience I wouldn't say Yohji was popular in Nigeria at all. In fact, the only Nigerian I have seen wearing Yohji was one of the SAs at the Yohji store on Rue Cambon .

What made you ask anyway? Have you met a lot of Nigerians in Yohji?

Speaking of rich fat men, our rich guys here tend to be fat as well. What we do here though is wrap it all up in multiple folds of expensive fabric via an outfit known as the agbada or baba riga.
            Tumblr

Comment

• shdws
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              No reason why it can't, I am curious to know why it is. I can tell you why it's popular in Russia - the rich men there are usually fat and like to wear black.
              I thought on average Russians are just tall and have a bone structure of a dinosaur (which I'm jealous of), never knew they were fat (rich ones that is)
              Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• xeraphim
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Ivwri View Post
                Which fabrics of the hakama pants did you see in the stockist you went to? Would love to pick up the wool iteration for sure, but wondering what other fabrics have been used.
                three different fabric compositions used on the trousers this season (based on what i've handled, at least):

100% wool - black hakama trousers

100% cotton - black drawstring trousers with ribbed cuffs, white hakama trousers, printed hakama trousers (look 4, 11, 12, etc)

47% cotton, 53% cupro - striped hakama trousers

i particularly liked the fabric on the striped/printed hakama trousers - light-medium weight, slightly stiff with a dry hand to it - looked really good in motion imo.

Comment

• Ivwri
                  • Jun 2011

Thanks for the info. The fabric blend sounds interesting actually. Is that like the pants in looks 16 & 24?
                  Tumblr

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ivwri View Post
                    Hm, in my experience I wouldn't say Yohji was popular in Nigeria at all. In fact, the only Nigerian I have seen wearing Yohji was one of the SAs at the Yohji store on Rue Cambon .

What made you ask anyway? Have you met a lot of Nigerians in Yohji?

Speaking of rich fat men, our rich guys here tend to be fat as well. What we do here though is wrap it all up in multiple folds of expensive fabric via an outfit known as the agbada or baba riga.
                    I was once invited to the yohji private sale in Paris by his PR and when I walked it was a Nigerian free-for-all. There were people just stuffing stuff in garbage bags (with the intention to sell). I also remember Christian saying that when he showed up at the rue Cambon flagship on the first day of the sale, there were plenty of Nigerians there. And you confirm that there is a Nigerian salesman there. So, that got me curious, that's all.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ivwri
                      • Jun 2011

Wow. The SA was even surprised to find out that I was Nigerian and she asked me where I usually bought Yohji clothing (she also hadn't lived in Nigeria before). She didn't sound like she was used to seeing Nigerians and said she had worked with Yohji for a decade.

That is really surprising to me. Like I said before I have never seen another Nigerian in Yohji, as a people we tend to go for brands like Hermes, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada etc. maybe the people at the sale were planning on selling the items to non-Nigerians or Nigerians that live overseas.

Heh, even wearing too much black is seen as odd here. Anything's possible I guess, but if there is a solid Nigerian fan base here, they must be really private.

EDIT - Are you sure they were Nigerian?? Thinking about it some more it just sounds sooooo weird to me. Totally outside my expectations of our usual buying habits and behaviour.
                      Last edited by Ivwri; 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM.
                      Tumblr

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                        • Aug 2008

I don't know if they were Nigerian or not (it seemed many were French speaking), but there were a fair number of African men and women at the yohji sale this past summer in Tokyo too. If I had to guess, I would think it has something to do with yohji's cuts. They are likely more flattering to some body types than others.

Comment

• Ivwri
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stadsvandringar View Post
                          I don't know if they were Nigerian or not (it seemed many were French speaking), but there were a fair number of African men and women at the yohji sale this past summer in Tokyo too. If I had to guess, I would think it has something to do with yohji's cuts. They are likely more flattering to some body types than others.
                          Ahhhhhh! This makes more sense now. I think these people might be Sapeurs or selling to Sapeurs in a lot of the francophone African countries.

The Sapeurs love Yohji. His cuts and the fact that he is considered avant garde fashion and high fashion by them makes him one of the key designers among their movement. They are actually a very fascinating sub-culture amongst a lot of the neighbouring french-speaking African countries.

The WSJ even had an article on them where one of them mentioned that -

Soon Yves Kandaiz, a Sapeur friend of Kalubi, arrives dressed in a flowing black all-Yohji-Yamamoto outfit—a skirt and hooded-jacket combo that makes him look like one of the sand people in "Star Wars." Brazzaville Sapes worship classical fashion. Kin Sapeurs, they tell me, adore Yohji because his style is violent and brutal, in line with the spirit of their city. Where Salvador and Elyfontaine, over in Brazzaville, dressed, strutted and spoke like someone from a Somerset Maugham novel, Kalubi and Kandaiz take to the streets in an utterly different way: Kandaiz extends one arm and holds his jacket open, as if spreading a wing, to reveal the Yohji label inside. Kalubi stomps in the dirt like he's marching off to war.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1kamCjri8
                          Yeah, we don't really have an equivalent subculture in Nigeria and are more similar to the stereotypical Chinese designer label shopper.

On a side note, a lot of Yohji's cuts do match our traditional outfits in many ways. The references he makes to classical Japanese clothing echoes some West African and some North African clothing items as well and of course, Nigerian outfits specifically. The idea of volume in clothing is something that is not alien to us either unlike in the West where slimmer fits are praised now. Very few (if any) of our traditional outfits are fitted with a lot of baggy trousers, drop crotch pants, oversized shirts etc.

We have a bigger focus on colour and embroidery though, but it seems like Yohji is even leaning towards this direction a lot more now with his silk prints in SS12 - which again echo the traditional adire indigo dyeing method practiced in the south-west and northern parts of Nigeria - and his use of handcrafted embroidery in SS11.
                          Tumblr

Comment

• commacomma
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2012

Yohji is the man!

Comment

• commacomma
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2012

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• GENRE-NOW
                                • Jan 2011

the people you speak of were not from Nigeria

they're were probably from DR Congo (French speaking country)

they're really into their fashion over there and are regularly seen head to toe in all things Japanese and Avante Garde

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎