Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Yohji Yamamoto

This is a show invite.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

branding, money and all that, but this i have a hard time understanding...

The new era collabo puzzled me as well, seemed to be more congruent with the current fashion in Japan rather than Yohji's native style.
    August Pope

Instagram: august_pope

There is beauty in decay.

Really? I've been out of it for many years, but for Japanese sub-culture, I've always associated New Era with the Urahara crowd, like BAPE, MadHectic, Atmos etc, and not anything remotely close to Yohji at all...

well i can see the relation between the new-era look and the recent japanese street-wear trend with brands like boy london and ktz, but still, not much to do with yohji and his aesthetics nor vision. cant imagine this hat going with his clothes at all.

no idea what yohji's actual reasoning is, but he's shown an interest in streetwear before. maybe this just fits in that vein.

"As Yamamoto recalls, the idea for Y-3 first emerged when he requested some sneakers from Adidas for a show, which was intended as a subversive nod to the brand's currency with street kids in Japan, who, at the time, were going through one of their periodic infatuations with triple-striped track suits."

from here: http://www.interviewmagazine.com/fas...i-yamamoto-1#_

The reasoning is young people by and large don't care about Yohji. I mean, he's not even on their radar the way CdG is. Maybe a way to bring some brand awareness?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

The only people I've seen with Y-3 sneakers are middle-aged men in grey suits.

i see y-3 as something else from this, although the 2 acts could share the same ambitions, y-3 had the capability for him to still play around with.
    all i can see here is a logo on a typical new era hat (potentially some died fabric but might just be the lightings in the photo).
    i have a hard time believing that many youngsters that discover yohji through this will actually follow him and wear his main line.

im amused by the new era cap as well.
    as faust said, its yohji trying to be relevant to the younger crowd.
    basically his version of this

Quote Originally Posted by u-ti View Post
    i have a hard time believing that many youngsters that discover yohji through this will actually follow him and wear his main line.
    up. especially when his main line is something not even one percent close to this new era hat. in my opinion this NE project should just not happen

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    The reasoning is young people by and large don't care about Yohji. I mean, he's not even on their radar the way CdG is. Maybe a way to bring some brand awareness?
    I hope it's not as shallow and desperate as that. Y-3 seems to be doing the job anyway.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/180074133

Just about to post that same pic ugh

Yohji doesn't own his company anymore. He controls only the two mainlines and don't compromise there. The investors are trying to get their money back - perfume, shooting celebrities etc.. Y-3 again it's pretty much out of yohji's hands. His role there it'a to put the collection together - fittings and styling.

The newera thing it's not so surprising. They doing some celebration of how many years of the brand and asking designers if they can contribute. I think it's Japan only.. Anyway I wish it was black on black.

/\ Do they also force him to hang with the Biebs?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I guess they've at least forced him to give the Biebs front row seats.

Designers don't take care of seating - their PR and commercial teams do.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by dantebykiko View Post
    Yohji doesn't own his company anymore. He controls only the two mainlines and don't compromise there. The investors are trying to get their money back - perfume, shooting celebrities etc.. Y-3 again it's pretty much out of yohji's hands. His role there it'a to put the collection together - fittings and styling.

The newera thing it's not so surprising. They doing some celebration of how many years of the brand and asking designers if they can contribute. I think it's Japan only.. Anyway I wish it was black on black.
    I've been wondering this for a while.
    How involved is he with the mainline as compared to y-3?

I doubt Yohji has any say on who sits where. Y-3 it's always been circus.. Zidane, Freja fighting with Yohji now Yohji playing drums!?. I guess he threat ny as holiday

exactly, Y3 isnt even a 2nd line. Im pretty sure yohji has lesser creative licence than Jil Sander/Undercover for Uniqlo. He just enjoys the extra money and time to do some 'light work'.

besides everyone knows the real stuff will be in Paris anyway.