X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chameleon
    • Jun 2008

And for those who haven't seen this yet, the women's show from AW94 was uploaded to youtube a few days ago. It's absolutely stunning. This was the first of two kimono themed collections, the other one was SS95. This one is just amazing. Beautiful shapes, cutting, draping. I love the sunken shoulderlines he also did for AW00. I'll post the first part here:

This channel also put up several other older women's collections, like the "pinocchio dress" season AW91 as well as SS91, all worth checking out.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
      • Jan 2008

Can I just say thanks a bunch chameleon, and yes if
      anyone stumbles upon the Yohji Yamamoto and
      Pina Bausch spread please do share.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Lumina
        • Dec 2009

Thank you for these great videos ! The variations on kimonos are breathtaking, these sleeves

Video from one of his runway in 1981

1984-85

1988 :

Comment

• H-R
          • May 2007

Just found this tumblr account out, not sure who's behind it:

Comment

• Lumina
            • Dec 2009

Comment

• chameleon
              • Jun 2008

Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Love the top two photos, Lumina.

For those who have yet to see the S/S 1992 collection, homage to Madeleine Vionnet:

Comment

• Sverrenor
                • Feb 2012

@Faust:

As of Yohji, is his colab with Adidas respectable in your opinion? It's not because I don't adore his own creations, but I'm just curious whether the sportier Yamamoto-look is appealing for you?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

No, it's not respectable or appealing in my opinion. I think for the most part collaborations are an exercise in PR and they rarely result in anything interesting. Y-3 though does offer cool clothes on the runway - the last runway show was fantastic. I just don't see them in stores. But, anyway, it's not like Yohji designs it.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sverrenor
                    • Feb 2012

Interesting point of view about the whole PR-stunt awareness, should have thought of that.

I saw your thread with Y-3 just now, saying Schonberger improves the outcome. I agree, much more sophisticated now than previous collections.

Thanks for the quick response and for for sharing food for thought!

Comment

• Verdandi
                      • Mar 2012

Yohji Yamamoto to direct first feature film

Well then.
                      lavender menace

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Yeah, saw that in WWD. He's also on the cover of Surface magazine, looking damn good
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ivwri
                          • Jun 2011

Got a few pictures off of Filep Motwary's site from the Yohji exhibition at Hyeres 2012.

More at the site.
                          Tumblr

Comment

• Ivwri
                            • Jun 2011

Surface article on Yohji -

For a higher resolution file of the interview page, click here
                            Last edited by Ivwri; 05-08-2012, 05:52 PM. Reason: added link to higher res file for the interview
                            Tumblr

Comment

• Apr 2012

Hi everyone. Am a newbie in this forum or any "style" forum for the matter. Been enjoying what I read and see in this forum and decide to join the conversations.

I like Yohji Yamamoto designs even before I realize it was him.

I am a fan of Takeshi Kitano's film. I always find the unconventional fit of the yakuza's suit very interesting. Something draw me to it every time I watch those films. And of course the costumes in "Zatoichi" was amazing. Only early this year i realize they were by Yamamoto. Having browse many of the looks in the net and this thread, I am beginning to entertain the idea of entering into the perilous waters of buying some from YYPH. Been looking through my wardrobe and gadgets looking to things I can sell to gather more funds. Been spending hours on the net looking through many of the past seasons collection. I am on the verge of being an addict. I have always been interested in clothes and culture but never consider myself a fashionista or been interested in many labels. Usually I wear engineered garments with a bit of Junya Watanabe and Paul Harnden. But I'm in a strong leaning to giving my wardrobe a "paradigm shift".

Want to hear about how you guys started buying YY? I am actually looking at some wide/loose fit pants to begin with. Would be great to hear some opinions.

Comment

• underdog
                                • Aug 2009

Personally I find his work very thought provoking and encompassing. I don't think everyone can pull it off, especially mixing and matching. If you're considering making an initial purchase or two I would recommend strongly considering how you'll incorporate with your preexisting wardrobe.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎