Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Yohji Yamamoto

On a more hopeful note, I really wish they would just do a Yohji line similar to CDG BLACK. And by that I mean classic shapes and silhouettes in cotton and wool without all the bells and whistles.

I see more people wear Yohji-esque shapes now than I have in a long time, certainly more than id ever imagine wearing this jewelry. I imagine Ys and YPH is either too crazy or out of their price range but a Yohji BLACK collection might be just right?

Most importantly, its Yohji's cuts, secret details and materials that speak volumes to the wearer over time. To me no one else really comes close. If they can deliver this feeling in a secondary line it could possibly convert people to his main lines even more effectively than Cdg Black?

^^^ It sounds like you mean something like Y's/Y's for men. The line was supposed to be more "basic" and actually was cheaper than the mainline, but marginally. Quality was equally good, but for whatever reason it didn't seem to grab attention the same way the mainline does (Y's women seems to be doing okay though). The more basic approach is also the intention with the regulation line, although that doesn't seem to be taking off particularly either.

I agree that Yohji is no CDG, but for better or worse he seems to be taking a page from their playbook.

No, I'm aware of Ys and even mentioned it in my last post.
    I mean a line that isn't just marginally less.
    Ys covers this need in a way, but I'm suggesting something even less costly to attract new/younger Yohji fans. I would guess that would be more effective and less of a compromise than this new jewelry line. Thats the context of this suggestion.

Or maybe Yohji just genuinely wants to be a mall goth now

Well now that you mention it, he does wear those elevator shoes, doesn't he??? ;)

To me it really doesn't matter what he's doing on the side - as long as Y's and YYPH are producing stellar pieces year on year. I enjoyed SS16.

Well, it does matter actually, especially considering Yohji's overall level of distinction. I see what you're saying though. We're on opp. sides of the same coin because I also agree with you that his continued success with YYPH and Y's is ultimately the most important thing.
    I haven't felt anything that matches the feel of Yohji on the body. I'm sure you agree he's in a category all his own.

Quote Originally Posted by galia View Post
    Or maybe Yohji just genuinely wants to be a mall goth now

How long do you all see Yohji continuing to design lines season after season? I know the company is beyond his control now but I don't think I really want to see a world where the Yohji brand ceaselessly drums on without having that guiding force (Y-3 and some of his other lines aside), like with what happened with Ann.

https://i-d.vice.com/en_gb/article/l...uk-translation

i-D's interview on Yamamoto during this week's PFW (Spring Summer 16). It's a good read, as far as knowing his recent perspective on things. One part that struck me is how disgusted Yamamoto is with the way fashion has become. Don't blame him though...

*EDIT: Thank Xeraphim for the clarification. Posted this fairly quickly and had no time to back-track it.
    Last edited by NOHSAD; 10-06-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xeraphim View Post
    Do you ever plan to stop one day?
    I can not imagine myself retired. It must be so boring. I also think it's hard to imagine my brand without me. I think Yohji Yamamoto will die with Yohji Yamamoto.
    This is so true, I really can't imagine how this brand will go without him
    CDG could be survive without Rei Kawakubo, but I doubt for YY

I agree that his brand should die with him, can't see anyone else taking it over... Besides, at the current moment, he feels there's no one on his design level to rival him

Not quite sure what's going on here, but as a rumor said these are from a short film about YY shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Not quite sure what's going on here, but as a rumor said these are from a short film about YY shooting.
    Perhaps it's this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkMENgTiHMk

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    Very nice. Thanks.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy of Yohji's book 'My Dear Bomb' ?

I'v tried hunting around online... although sites like amazon in the U.K are retailing at ú190 or higher pre-owned.

I'd really love to read it, I'v always been interested in the philosophical mindset he has towards garment design.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post

Yankii Yamamoto?

Hi
    I would like to know the year of collection of this jacket :
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/p.../item/k-25665/

I didn't know yohji was using riri zip.

Thank you in advance for help.

Default Yohji's My Dear Bomb

Hi! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this article.

http://vestoj.com/the-self-on-display-3/