• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: The Yohji World

Just a couple of additional points:

1 YY Jeans pour Homme is a definable label, but not as a collection on its own. When he produces jeans for the mainline they are issued under this label. I have a couple of pairs.

2 He still occasionally releases Yohji Y Addidas as part of the mainline, separately from Y-3. This is typically where sports shoes form an integral part of the collection. Generallythey are not terribly succesful if you ask me (there were some electric blue tiger print football boots recently), although they are terribly expensive!

3 There used to be a separate "strand" of Y's/Y's for Men called Y's At Work, which was, as the name suggests, workwear inpsired. Some jeans issued under the Y's brand were labelled like this.

Laika, I love that collection from Winter 03. Those colourful voluminous knits are amazing

Comment

• Avantster
      ¤¤¤
      • Sep 2006

Wire.artist, Yohji is on the advisory board to Ryohin Keikaku Co. Ltd. (MUJI) and helps to oversee the brand direction. YY inc. designed the limited edition Muji Labo line, and also helps them to improve the cut of all their clothes. It has been kept fairly quiet, though.

Faust, you can find Y's for Living here - they sell bedwear, furniture, household items and also clothing.

Thank you so much Laika for those pictures. Makes me feel like posting some 'best of'.. [66]

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
        • Sep 2007

Just caught this thread, and thought I'd add a missing collaboration:

Yohji Yamamoto X Repetto (paris)

I think chris in WAYWT is wearing some, as posted in his pics, which I asked him about, but he has yet to confirm.....

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

This has Faust written all over. [<:o)]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

I didn't know Yohji did furniture. That is a seriously beautiful piece. I can't wait until I get to the stage in life where I can start looking for things like that, for now my number one furniture priority is how easy will it be to move in another year...

music

Comment

• boxma
              • Feb 2007

what about Dr Martens byYohji

Comment

• matthewhk
                • Jan 2007

I believe the Yohji Yamamoto Pour Homme Gothic line is no longer in production, i'm assuming it was a subdivision of the main line of clothing done in black. I have 2 long sleeve t-shirts from this line that my dad gave me since he can't fit in them any more, the cotton is absolutely amazing and items were made in France. 20 years + and to this day i have yet to see a better feeling cotton in the world, it's like silk. One of the tees is black w/ a thin white stripe pattern, my dad explained the stripes was done with some painstaking dye method where both inside and outside were imbued with the pattern. might post a pic of me wearing them some day....

Comment

• nqth
                  • Sep 2006

That sounds lovely!

Btw the Yamamoto store in Paris will be open spring 2008. It's located in a corner of rue Cambon and St. Honore. When I was there it was covered by a red "wall" with small white "Yohji Yamamoto" writen all over:-)

Comment

• drexl
                    • Sep 2006

Just came across some jackets on the 'bay with these tags, anyone have more info on this AAR line?

According to the seller: "Durban is a major Japanese texitile company, and it collaborated with
                    Yohji Yamamoto to produce a line called AAR (Against All Risks). I
                    guess it is sort of like Y3."

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I remember asking runner on tFS about this collaboration. He did not have a high opinion of it, IIRC.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                        • Sep 2006

I have a suit from the A.A.R. line that I bought when I was living in Tokyo and needed some basic work clothes. It is pretty equivalent in quality and style to something like Emporio Armani; an Italian-style three-button suit in summer wool. It did the job at the time and cost about $250 in the Isetan sale. Pretty good quality fabric for the money but the cut is undistinguished. I haven't worn it for nearly 10 years.

Comment

• matthewhk
                          • Jan 2007

$250 sounds like a friggin steal...that's barely more than what a Zara suit costs in HK.

The Y tailored line from Yohji is impeccable in the use of fabrics, cut and pattern. Unfortunately the suits are so expensive one might as well go bespoke at that price. Furthermore, i've yet to come across one whose sleeves are long enough to fit someone as tall as me :( ...shirts and shoes are sharp as well.

Comment

• Buckwheat
                            • Sep 2006

Matthew - that's great that your father is passing on his Yohjis to you. I can't imagine if one day my kid is wearing mine too :)

I remember as a kid seeing "Durban" shop in Hong Kong. Matthew you might check and see if they still have a shop in Landmark, Central. But I doubt. It mainly sells businesswear like you guys have mentioned. I don't think it's under Yohji. Probably they just developed this line A.A.R. together.

There are a lot of collabs in Yohji world. I think Seventh wasjust trying to find out the lines under Yohji? There are collabs with Red Wings Shoes, Hawkin shoes, and recently with Roen's Hiromu Takahara, to just name a few.

Faust - maybe we can combine this thread with the other Yohji?

Comment

• matthewhk
                              • Jan 2007

yeah they still have Durban all over Hong Kong - don't think there's a shop in Landmark any more though...the Landmark of today is pretty damn high - as soon as you walk in you're flanked by the likes of Tod's, Fendi, Dior Homme/Femme and Celine. Don't know what it was like back then but Durban isn't very well made - just very plain nondescript business wear. Will admit the current season ads posted all over MTR stations are pretty well styled.

When was the last time you were back in HK?

Comment

• Incroyable
                                • Mar 2007

Durban is a bit of a minor controversy in tailoring circles as some claim it to make a superior "bargain" suit to high-end makers like Kiton, et al.; I've no idea since I've never handled the stuff.

However, given the relative nature of mass-market labels in Asia, I highly doubt its claims of glory or really, its esthetic approach--probably the Banana Republic of Hong Kong.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎