Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940

Thread: Yohji Yamamoto

good god I'm going to be broke

I finished My Dear Bomb a while ago. Great book, it gives a lot of insight into Yohji's origins. I'd recommend it to everyone who loves fashion, but I'm sure everyone in this thread has already read it or is at least somewhat familiar with the content.

Nonetheless, I'd like to share what was my favourite part of the book.

My best attempt at a translation:

III. Randomly-Strung Pearls

The human body and the fabric are in fact what determine style. It is not the drawing that creates the clothing. As I always say, it is the fabric that creates the clothing. How does it want to hang, float, or fall? When we observe it carefully, little by little, the fabric begins to speak. I would like to become this or that kind of clothing, it says.

A man and woman spend the night together. In the morning, the woman carefully wears the man's white poplin shirt. I am going to take a shower, will you lend me this? The unexpected breadth of the shirt reacts to the bulges amidst the slender feminine body. On the fabric, a light traces a line towards the summit of the chest, the sleeves are rolled to the elbows, the shadows penetrate between the breasts. This uncalculated charm is exactly what I have sought to achieve throughout my activity of a creator of clothes.

-

If I had to explain what I love about Yohji to a friend, I think this extract would sum it up. The image of the woman in the oversized shirt is simply magnificent.

He is a romantic womanizer, that's for sure. (and I am not saying that's a bad thing!)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

His clothes are sensual and ritualistic simultaneously.

For the first time in 5 years, Y's will show 2 runway shows at Omotesando, Tokyo. They will live stream their capsule collection collaboration Y's Alcantara FW19 on Saturday, May 25th at 7:00pm JST (6:00am EST)

More on SZ-Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    For the first time in 5 years, Y's will show 2 runway shows at Omotesando, Tokyo. They will live stream their capsule collection collaboration Y's Alcantara FW19 on Saturday, May 25th at 7:00pm JST (6:00am EST)

More on SZ-Mag
    Pretty unremarkable, especially the silver reflective outerwear towards the end. The good clothes weren't much to write home about either, aside one or two of them. Not much else to say.