X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeong
    • Jan 2009

sad

there's less happy news out of Paris. Yohji Yamamoto announced this morning that the house is canceling its Spring show in favor of showroom appointments.

Comment

• mumma
      • Oct 2008

just simply question: does a line '+ noir' include menswear?

and any tips about sizing? i've got some items from Y's
      which are in a size 1 and they fit me well (i am 44/xs) -
      is it the same with main line and so?
      LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
      Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
      www.loupeon.com

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

No. Yoox's confusing you again? Yes, go for size 1. Y's tends to fit slimmer than the main line.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mumma View Post
          just simply question: does a line '+ noir' include menswear?

and any tips about sizing? i've got some items from Y's
          which are in a size 1 and they fit me well (i am 44/xs) -
          is it the same with main line and so?
          Size 1's are fairly rare in YY pour homme. I'm a 44/xs and usually go for size 2 in jackets/pants, and size 2 or 1 in shirts if I can find it. Note his coats tend to be cut quite long.
          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• plague
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

sadder news than no ss10 men show is
            no more Y's
            after 37 years
            r.i.p. Y's

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Y's has taken quite a dip in the past few seasons, haven't felt much incentive to check it out - my main beef is the fabrics and construction feel a lot shoddier. The former probably isnt so much the company's fault, in general a cotton garment coming out in 2009 just isn't of the same caliber of the same piece had it been into existence 20 years ago. YY t-shirts handed down to me by my father are approaching 30 and the wear is not detectable at all, more than i can say for anything I've purchased in the past 3 years.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

It's time to revisit a classic. Yohji's 1999 Spring womenswear collection. Well worth watching until the end. I love his sense of humor.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Seventh
                  • Dec 2006

This is very sad. I got into fashion when Helmut Lang was closing down, so that didn't make as big an impression as I am sure it did to many of you who had followed his work for a while.

Yohji was the first designer that really made sense to me, in his fits, in the conception of his pieces and his philosophy. I am not ready for it all to end...

Will the mainline still be produced for A/W 10 (and beyond) or is that up in the air?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I am sure someone will buy his company. Of course that will be a different story altogether. Rumor has it that Adidas might step in and take over. Yeah.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

yeah I heard about Adidas too

get ready for Helmut Lang Pt. II guys
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• crz
                        • Apr 2008

short Limi Yomamoto interview with Tim Blanks: also discusses the difference between her and Yohji's design process

Comment

• lotek01
                          • Aug 2009

thanks crz, saw this a while ago but it's always funny to listen to limi take a dig at her father's love life. she's so super kawaii

in another interview she also stated that she originally didn't give a shit about fashion until she actually attended one of yohji's runways, and she was so moved that she ended up wanting to be part of it.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I am sure it's hard to be a great's offspring. Even her interview is in the daddy's thread.

By the way, last issue of Flaunt has an interview with her by our own Agent_L (if I am not mistaken).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TarHeart
                              • Jun 2009

One thing that makes Yohji so great is his idea about designing time. That if you buy a garment today, it will still be interesting to wear in a year, or in many years to come. I can definitely feel that. I bought this black knitted sweater last spring, and I can still feel the joy of a newly-bought piece of clothing. I guess that you can call it timeless. Yohji makes clothes that are not depending on time. I think that is great. It's too bad that the element of "timelessness" has its effect on the pricing though, but in the end, it kind of make sense to me. I like the idea of buying something you really like, and something you really feel for, for a mad price. You should care about the things you love, and you should be able to sacrifice a lot for it. Maybe that is exactly what Yohji wants me to think, and maybe I am just a foolish fashion consumer, but I don't care.

I would like to know your opinons about this, I know not everyone here are students and have to worry about money, but you all know what I mean. What do you think of the prices, is it humane, is it madness or is it worth it?
                              I think it is something that hasn't been discussed here. Maybe it is not the most exciting subject to discuss about a designer, but I always found the question about creativity versus commercial questions, interesting. These questions and thoughts have been spinning in my mind since I found out that this Yamamoto sweater was 1200 euro, which I think is a lot of money for fashion, and it affects my economy, and therefore my life. I guess it would affect anyone in here.

Do anyone know how the prices are in Europe, compared to Japan? I have heard someone say that the prices in Europe are strangely out of proportion, or something like that. Do anyone know? I would be happy to know. How much is the difference?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

We've discussed the pricing plenty, TarHart. You definitely make a good point about the relationship between pricing and care and the feeling of getting something special and unique that will last you a long time. Still, the madness element is unavoidable. I think the consensus here is that at the end of the day, pricing is subjective and no one is twisting your hand into buying anything (although you may certainly feel the pressure, whether self- or peer- induced). As far as Yohji prices in Japan, 40-50% less of what you pay in Europe/US. Definitely makes things more palatable.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎