X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: Prada Mens FW 07-08

Faust I see what you're saying about comme/bernahrd. This actually reminded me a bit of comme. I think there probably is less craft to it, but i like it none the less. I suppose I just like it because it's different, because it's not what you'd expect from a big fashion brand (compare it to Valentino for example) or even a smaller fashion brand from Milan (see the pure Queer Eye for the Straight Guy of Etro). It is a bit confused, I agree, but that's maybe why i like it. Raf never seems confused, but he bores me shitless because of it. Confusion is part of life. Sometimes we make mistakes (like it would be a mistake to wear a carpet jumper), but, anyway, we can't be overly serious about this stuff.

Comment

• explicit
      • Jan 2007

I generally agree with Faust's opinion regarding prada. I think the label, as a whole, makes garments that are worth nowhere near their pricepoints. This season in particular, strikes me in a slightly different way. The pieces look "safe," but not in the usual mainstream fashion house style. They look like an unnecessarily muted version of, as Faust stated, Raf for Sander. To me, the fact that nothing really stands out at all (even the atrocious hairy things are only bothersome enough for a quick double take). There's not much here that I either really care for or really detest. And, honestly, i'd much rather it drift to one extreme or the other.

Additionally, the cuts do look rather off. And, if they look that unflattering on a model, I can't even imagine what they'd look like on me or anyone I know.

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

I don't totally hate Prada, but I think the fashion media tends to blow out of proportion how "revolutionary" and "smart" her shows are. People give Prada so much credit because she designs for a monster brand yet isn't afraid to put totally ugly stuff on the runway. I suppose in a way it's more gutsy then brands like Gucci, Dolce, or Dsquared that know there base and put out variations on a theme every season. But Muiccia's anti-fashion approach isn't deserving of all the praise heaped upon her. It takes much more skill to make something strange/new/conceptual that is still quite wearable and beautiful.
        Anyway, this collection is pretty typical prada. I like some of the dye techniques used on the fuzzy sweaters and how it bleeds onto some of the pants.
        music

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]I don't totally hate Prada, but I think the fashion media tends to blow out of proportion how "revolutionary" and "smart" her shows are. People give Prada so much credit because she designs for a monster brand yet isn't afraid to put totally ugly stuff on the runway. I suppose in a way it's more gutsy then brands like Gucci, Dolce, or Dsquared that know there base and put out variations on a theme every season. But Muiccia's anti-fashion approach isn't deserving of all the praise heaped upon her. It takes much more skill to make something strange/new/conceptual that is still quite wearable and beautiful.
          Anyway, this collection is pretty typical prada. I like some of the dye techniques used on the fuzzy sweaters and how it bleeds onto some of the pants.

[/quote]

Thank you. That's my vendetta against her. Everyone kisses her ass and goes on about how, well, revolutionary and smart her designs are, and how talented she is, when she's anything but. I hate fashion industry because of the emperor's new clothes shit like that.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
            • Sep 2006

But she did make ugly clothes wearable and "beautiful" (kind of:-).

I don't think one should say her design is smart or intelligent or revolutionary *now*. (Maybe it was.) But the stuffs are very Prada's own clothes, unexpected at the same time, and quite fun.

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

I agree with Nqth. I don't think that it's revolutionary, not do i ever say that it's "intellectual", whatever that means. But I think it's fair to judge on its merits, without the baggage of "Prada", and that must mean that you can like it without having to suffer the usual critisizm of people who don't like prada of people who do (i.e that it's not really intellectual etc). I think Prada has been a very influential fashion label, whether you like it or not, or indeed whether you like the idea of "influential " or not. When I saw this collection though I just thought "hmm quite ncie, quite interesting", nothing more than that (other than that thetoilet carpetstuff is horrible).

Thanks, by the way, laika, for posting the jumpers etc.

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="nqth"]

But she did make ugly clothes wearable and "beautiful" (kind of:-).

I don't think one should say her design is smart or intelligent or revolutionary *now*. (Maybe it was.) But the stuffs are very Prada's own clothes, unexpected at the same time, and quite fun.

[/quote]

I agree. Thanks for your posts, ngth, you have a really good eye.

Faust, thanks for clearing up that distinction, I see what you mean now. I do understand where your hostility is coming from; however, I don't really think she is trying to make any statement with this show--certainly not a la comme, or a la bernard. She is too entrenched in the conventional fashion world to really be comparable to them, imo, and her agenda is rather different. Perhaps all the textures are meant to be a commentary on the trend towards smoothness in men's clothes. I can't really read any intention into it other than that.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎