• drexl
    • Sep 2006

Number (N)ine FW 07-08 Paris

Pics are up

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Number (N)ine FW 08-09 Paris

seems too early to do the rockabilly thing after CDG just did, no? I hate these cowboy tie thingies (whatever their name is) [:'(]

Thanks for the pics, drexl, but it's FW07-08, no? I'll change the title. would like to see more.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ddohnggo
      • Oct 2006

seems to me a lot more of the grunge look than rockabilly i.e. flannel, tattered pants, boots, etc...
      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

seems too early to do the rockabilly thing after CDG just did, no? I hate these cowboy tie thingies (whatever their name is) [:'(]

Thanks for the pics, drexl, but it's FW07-08, no? I'll change the title. would like to see more.

[/quote]

I believe those are called western string ties.

This looks more amish than rockabilly to me...

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• drexl
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

Whoops, what did I write? 08-09? Maybe i'm getting a little ahead of myself, haha.

Shoot, seems like the rest of the pics don't work, I'll edit my first post.

Comment

• LanceP
            • Oct 2006

[quote user="ddohnggo"]seems to me a lot more of the grunge look than rockabilly i.e. flannel, tattered pants, boots, etc...
            [/quote]

Grunge is definitely what I'm seeing. Rockabilly to me means pompadours and leather biker jackets with the collars flipped up, along with straight jeans.

And yeah, I'm also seeing a lot of Amish influences as well, haha.

Comment

• macuser3of5
              • Sep 2006

Bolo ties.... Like the last season, this is just too Johhny Depp/obvious for my tastes.

Comment

• sbw4224
                • Sep 2006

There are definitely some pieces that I like in this collection, but with mostN(N) shows, I never like the way things are styled. I'm not a fan of the riding boots and cowboy ties, either.Ihave always felt thestrength inN(N) is the ability to incorporate a piece or two of a collection into a wardrobe that is much different than the aesthetic of the collection itself.

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

I'm with sbw, whenever I imagine myself wearing n(n) it's always one piece with an otherwise very clean outfit. A pair of distressed boots with an otherwise clean outfit, or one of their louder jackets with everything else more subdued. It seems more interesting that way, to me, at least.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="macuser3of5"]Bolo ties.... Like the last season, this is just too Johhny Depp/obvious for my tastes.[/quote]

Yes, Bolo, thank you.

I am really tired of NN to be honest - sorry, but it's just hype, absolutely derivative and boring.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                      • Sep 2006

Over here we call them bootlace ties.

I really like the knit shorts over leggings. But I bet most of the rest of you don't!

[edit] I actually think this is a pretty good collection. Not sure why you're so down on it Faust. Are you partly judging the brand by the astronomical prices outside of Japan? These are dressing up clothes for wannabe rock posuers, sure, but so is Ann D's stuff, to be frank. She may be the original, but at least Taka is developing the palette a bit from season to season. I think this leads on nicely from the Western styling of the summer collection. Mcabe and Mrs Miller meets early 90s Sub-Pop Seattle. Can't be compared with groundbreaking Yohji or Raf magic I admit, but if you are a rich kid wanting to look rough, this is lot better than Dior!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

Over here we call them bootlace ties.

I really like the knit shorts over leggings. But I bet most of the rest of you don't!

[edit] I actually think this is a pretty good collection. Not sure why you're so down on it Faust. Are you partly judging the brand by the astronomical prices outside of Japan? These are dressing up clothes for wannabe rock posuers, sure, but so is Ann D's stuff, to be frank. She may be the original, but at least Taka is developing the palette a bit from season to season. I think this leads on nicely from the Western styling of the summer collection. Mcabe and Mrs Miller meets early 90s Sub-Pop Seattle. Can't be compared with groundbreaking Yohji or Raf magic I admit, but if you are a rich kid wanting to look rough, this is lot better than Dior!

[/quote]

What palette? The pictures are black and white [:P] I don't think he is a designer, that's all. Ann D is not only the original, she has an original voice. This guy does not. To say that Ann does goth/rock'n'roll is to say absolutey nothing about he work, but you can easily say that about this guy. He jumps from season to season, copying Ann D, Cloak, Raf, what have you. It's just too obvious and boring and straightforward. Hype. Besides, he makes all his money in tshirts anyway, so there is an answer enough.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

What palette? The pictures are black and white [:P] I don't think he is a designer, that's all. Ann D is not only the original, she has an original voice. This guy does not. To say that Ann does goth/rock'n'roll is to say absolutey nothing about he work, but you can easily say that about this guy. He jumps from season to season, copying Ann D, Cloak, Raf, what have you. It's just too obvious and boring and straightforward. Hype. Besides, he makes all his money in tshirts anyway, so there is an answer enough.

[/quote]

I think you're being unfair on the clothes themselves. They are often very desirable on the racks. And the fact that muppets on the street will happily pay £150 for naff t-shirts from trendy Japanese designers (how do you think Rei stays in business anyway?) says nothing about the designer's work really.

As far as Demeulemeester goes, she makes predominantly black clothes and works a lot with leather. Her layering style is heavily influenced by Keith Richards. She had Patti Smith on the catwalk this time last year. I think the rock thing says quite a lot about where she's coming from. I have lots of her clothes and they are gorgeous, but I don't buy the idea that she's somehow more cerebral than a jobbing designer like Miyashita.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I've looked at N(N) clothes in person four 4 seasons now, and I've been turned off every time. Even this past season, I was all excited about the catwalk show, but when the time came, I was turned off by 99% of it - I did not like the fabrics and the cutting.

I can't speak of Keith Richards influence, just don't see it - but Ann and Patti have been friends for a long time, and Ann loves her music. Does that mean her clothes can be reduced to rock'n'roll? Can you point to a collection, unlike SS06 for N(N) where the clothes were ripped off Axl Rose's body, where you can say, "that's how Patti Smith dresses?" I don't think so. Ann's clothes are her own - I can never write them off as something copied - they have a strong identity. I can give in and say that lately she's done some easy things like a 5-pocket jean, and a hoody - but that is still a super-rare exception. You very rarely see something that's been done with just an "Ann Demeulemeester" label slapped on the garment. No Western shirts, no thermals, no classic biker jackets, no cliches in other terms - there is consistently something in her work that's her own - you can't go and buy a substitute at Trash and Vaudeville or at the Camden market for her stuff. So, yeah, she is infinitely more cerebral, I can say it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                              • Sep 2006

I strongly recommend Robert Franks's film Cocksucker Blues for anyone who wants to see Richards drawing the blueprint for the wasted rockstar.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎