• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: New American Menswear collection: Robert Geller FW07-08

Bakla, thanks so much for posting!!

This is very enticing--I really like the silhouette of the second look with the loose trousers, oversized jacket and hat. It's classic, but looks so new to me right now--easily elegant, rather than militantly tailored. A good look for a new dandy, I should think.

I don't like that high belt though--it's bad enough that women are subjected to these things.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I agree about the belt - leave anatomy alone. This looks OK, need to see more. Nothing I'm crazy about. Minomni, there was a Cloak FW04 coat that could button like that.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nairb49
        • Dec 2006

hmm, aside from already expressed sentiments about that belt, I REALLY like this. I think bakla nailed it with "simple with enough quirks". From the brief view we've had thus far, I am really intrigued, and would definitley like to handle some in person.

Is it visionary? I don't necessarily think so, but I think it will likely do very well as a label and is an excellent springboard to build on.

Comment

• bakla
          • Oct 2006

I love the high belt. It's something I haven't seen on men (well, at least until perusing the Thom Browne collection this morning, but nevermind about that), but it is an optional thing since it can always be removed.

Here are a few more things that I thought added to the point of view, from the 45 images I originally previewed:

What appears to be a washed velvet jacket also came with a pair of pants and a halter-style waistcoat (read: no back). Since there are three parts to this collection, seeing them here as a mish-mash might seem that: a mishmash. Which is why it was a shame he couldn't present them as outfits on his models, but ah well, c'est la vie.

Comment

• threerepute
            • Sep 2006

the presentation looks fantastic. those gloves are crazy, and i agree. it would have been nice to see it all put together.

Comment

• bakla
              • Oct 2006

DNR article:

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

Bakla, thanks for the article. It's nice to know he wont be charging rediculous prices for his new line. Now I can't wait for this stuff to come out so I can check it out in person.
                "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• nairb49
                  • Dec 2006

Oh I wonder how long it will take to get to me here in the great white north.

Comment

• bakla
                    • Oct 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Bakla, thanks for the article. It's nice to know he wont be charging rediculous prices for his new line. Now I can't wait for this stuff to come out so I can check it out in person.[/quote]

I visited the showroom today and have to say, I was quite impressed - there's at least a dozen items I'm going to be getting, and I took pictures of some articles that look great on. The cut is very slim-fitted, and everything hit me perfectly in the shoulders, meaning the cuts are on the slim side. The 48's in the shirts are a definitely slimmer (which are very Cloak-like in their details, owing to Geller's origins), there are several great knits, and lots of handsome jackets and coats that are more layering pieces for Fall, as opposed to heavy ones for winter. None of the items are flashy showpieces like Raf Simons might have in his line, but there's a ton of very wearable, very mix-&-matchable things. I'm afraid my Fall 2007 wardrobe will be very heavy in Geller pieces!

Meanwhile, the blouson jacket I originally featured is absolutely killer! It's a little dressier than I thought with shiny lapels, but the construction is great. I can't wait to buy it. Let me tell you, never show up at a showroom wearing skinny black jeans and a henley. EVERYTHING will work with your outfit, much to my credit card's chagrin. Oh well, at least I won't have to worry until around Fall! [;)]

Sales are apparently very good for this first collection, and in New York, both Camouflage and Odin will be featuring Geller's line heavily for Fall 2007. This is likely because the price points are very reasonable for what is categorized as a contemporary brand, but is essentially a designer label.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                      • Oct 2006

i really like the aesthetic that robert geller is showing in his first collection. i see it as an extension of cloak, with a less military inspired look. silhouettes are nice and clean, and could be quite flattering on a lot of people. the best part is the price point. this is where cloak should have stayed at, and honestly could have allowed them to be a lot more popular.
                      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• bakla
                        • Oct 2006

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i really like the aesthetic that robert geller is showing in his first collection. i see it as an extension of cloak, with a less military inspired look. silhouettes are nice and clean, and could be quite flattering on a lot of people. the best part is the price point. this is where cloak should have stayed at, and honestly could have allowed them to be a lot more popular.
                        [/quote]

When I spoke to them at the showroom, they said they planned on staying in this price range. The only thing that's expensive is the leather, which will retail above a grand, methinks. But even that they want to lower in price if possible, in the future. It's nice to know they're looking at it as a business for the long haul. But so far every store that's seen them has either bought the line or been very enthusiastic (the selling season has just begun really), they said, so they should have ample distribution when Fall comes.

I also wanted to say that the construction in many of hte items looks really simple as far as silhouettes go, but htere are a lot of interesting and complex pattern cuts going on that harken back to his Cloak FW 2004 days.

Comment

• nairb49
                          • Dec 2006

I'm looking forward to getting something in my hands. May have to hire one of you NYers to help me out ;)

Comment

• explicit
                            • Jan 2007

i'm even more excited about this line now, considering the recent news concerning plokhov.
                            i have a feeling that, come fall, i'll be both broke and wearing a lot of geller.

Comment

• Incroyable
                              • Mar 2007

I'm not sure I would want to wear something influenced by that filthy Vincent Gallo.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Incroyable"]I'm not sure I would want to wear something influenced by that filthy Vincent Gallo.
                                [/quote]

I doubt Mr. Geller really meant it. You throw out a name like Gallo if you want to sell your clothes to (pseudo?)cool men. I mean, honestly, crossing Gallo and Belmondo is like crossing a stray dog with a great dane.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎