• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
    Anti-aestheticism, I can see as a puritanical American thing, but not anti-intellectualism, I think that's always been everywhere. Dumb people hate smart people, and there's no shortage of dumb people.
    I disagree. In most Western European countries, as well as Russia, China, India, Japan, Israel, etc. - there is deep respect for education and knowledge. Here, people are actually proud of their ignorance.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

I'm not sure about any place but Asia, but there's a limit to which intelligence is appreciated there. A formal education is highly valued for practical reasons, but I don't think critical thought is equally valued. I'm assuming that this isn't unique, that it spans any culture or institution, because well-executed critical thought is a threat to the status quo institution. But then so is anti-intellectualism:

"What we commonly call nihilism–and are tempted to date historically, decry politically, and ascribe to thinkers who allegedly dared to think “dangerous thoughts”–is actually a danger inherent in the thinking activity itself. There are no dangerous thoughts; thinking itself is dangerous, but nihilism is not its product. Nihilism is but the other side of conventionalism; its creed consists of negations of the current, so-called positive values to which it remains bound. All critical examinations must go through a stage of at least hypothetically negating accepted opinions and “values” by finding out their implications and tacit assumptions, and in this sense nihilism may be seen as an ever-present danger of thinking. But this danger does not arise out of the Socratic conviction that an unexamined life is not worth living but, on the contrary, out of the desire to find results which would make further thinking unnecessary. Thinking is equally dangerous to all creeds and, by itself, does not bring forth any new creed.

However, nonthinking, which seems so recommendable a state for political and moral affairs, also has its dangers. By shielding people against the dangers of examination, it teaches them to hold fast to whatever the prescribed rules of conduct may be at a given time in a given society. What people get used to is not so much the content of the rules, a close examination of which would always lead them into perplexity, as [they do] the possession of rules under which to subsume particulars. In other words, they get used to never making up their minds. If somebody then should show up who, for whatever reasons and purposes, wishes to abolish the old “values” or virtues, he will find it easy enough provided he offers a new code, and he will need no force and no persuasion–no proof that the new values are better than the old ones–to establish it. The faster men held to the old code, the more eager will they be to assimilate themselves to the new one; the ease with which such reversals can take place under certain circumstances suggests indeed that everybody is asleep when they occur. This century has offered us some experience in such matters: How easy it was for totalitarian rulers to reverse the basic commandments of Western morality–“Thou shalt not murder” in the case of Hitler’s Germany, “Thou shalt not bear false testimony against thy neighbor” in the case of Stalin’s Russia."

-Hannah Arendt

I'm cheating here, appealing to authority, but she says it with much more elegance than I could. Maybe places like France or whatever are different.

Anyways, it's getting way off topic, sorry for the derail.
      Last edited by DudleyGray; 09-29-2015, 01:07 PM.
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• BSR
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
        Maybe places like France or whatever are different.
        no, France is no different, bullies and assholes rule and are revered. I remind you that the French people enthusiastically elected Sarkozy in 2007, a well-kwown illiterate who cannot even speak without making basic grammatical errors.
        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• clay
          • Sep 2006

Great thread, like a friend said, I need to come on the site more often. I'm headed into my 4th decade of being intrigued by clothing. Some know I'm a freelance designer. I think at some point I've experienced most sentiments expressed in the last few pages to some degree. I've been a, mod, preppy, label hoe, buppy, thrifty all with one thing in common, a minimal uniform.

While color, patterns and volumes may have changed, many items have not. I almost always wear a jacket or a cardigan. I always have wingtip, cap toe or derby's ( not baller one's either) . I try to keep a sturdy boot, black or brown. I love blazers. I love a good pair of wool trousers and always wear them, even summer. I will wear a $2 T-shirt as proudly as I wear the T-shirt that I made myself.

I know so much about clothing it becomes overwhelming, so I stopped caring about others opinion of what I wear, usually. But if going to sz event, I do try to fit in a bit.
          I don't have the budget for a wardrobe theses days so I make stuff for myself from time to time. It is super minimal, basic and dark. Yet, I still hit up thrift stores for classic coats and suits. I think it all works together.
          Last edited by clay; 09-30-2015, 02:24 AM. Reason: mistakes.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
            no, France is no different, bullies and assholes rule and are revered. I remind you that the French people enthusiastically elected Sarkozy in 2007, a well-kwown illiterate who cannot even speak without making basic grammatical errors.
            One great french pol can quote de Musset...
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• DiveBlueEagle
              • Mar 2016

The Art of Style

I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if this is a bad thread.

What is the art of style? That is to say, what is the art of wearing clothes? How does it work? I've been trying to get into fashion, but whatever I wear I can't wear it right. Do you know what I mean? Like, say you were only allowed to choose your outfit from Uniqlo, or something. Even if two people, of similar stature, wore similar/same pieces, it could look very different depending on the way you wear it (…right)? How do you learn and refine this skill?

Also, I was reading the "Style Philosophy" thread, and I saw someone was talking about how "100% designer looks usually don't work for me; I feel like I'm just wearing the ideas of the designer and not interpreting the aesthetic for myself."How does interpreting an aesthetic, or look, work?

Broadly speaking, for example, if you wanted to learn how to play piano, you take a class, practice an hour every day, and it'll be obvious whether you're improving or not. But there aren't really style classes, no textbooks in the way a class or art is taught, and ultimately, it's something you just do. I mean, I assume practice is just looking at other sources of fashion in magazines and forums, and then going to stores and dressing yourself, but I mean, short of just asking people directly for advice, this doesn't seem to be as nearly as effective or clear a method than, say, a person learning piano through a professional teacher with a textbook—clear progress that you can track (for example, you could just end up being a halfway-there Rick Owens fanboy who can't even get the Rick-cosplay right, let alone not look like a fashion victim, but still think you're going in the right direction. Or, just think of the fedora-trenchcoat guys. They think they're fashionable, they do their share of looking for what they think looks right—but that's clearly not enough). Of course, fashion (or style, you prefer) is not quite as linear, but clearly there is some kind of path that a person takes in learning it.

For example, is it better to first dress yourself in only basics, like Uniqlo or Muji, and once you learn how to make yourself look good in that, move on to more fashionable, designer pieces? Or is this a short-sighted/unnecessary idea?

Do clothes only look good if you're slim? Tall? Clearly, they help (I can't help with being short but I am working on width—but I've never been skinny and I'm more likely to end up muscular than thin even if my workouts do end well), but I also do get the impression that while fashion is tailored to tall, slim people, you don't have to be so to do fashion (eg. older people who have grown a bit wide over the years who still dress well, asians who are shorter but are fashionable anyways).

Sorry if these questions are too intro-level for you guys, I'm mainly here to learn so I could be at your guys level one day.
              Last edited by DiveBlueEagle; 03-17-2016, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

No need to start a new thread, especially since you have read Your Style Philosophy thread.

Style is kind of like learning piano, or anything else - it's a gradual process. I guess you cannot really take lessons, or maybe you can? I sense a new industry in the making. I mean there are style gurus (dreadful), style advice columns (dreadful), magazines (mostly dreadful), and so on, so there is a mentor class.

There are some things I guess one can learn - color coordination for example - but most of it is trial-and-error, I suppose. Which is part of the fun.

I'd say clothes do look better on tall/slim people, but really one can make many things work if one simply knows one's body type and size. The rest should be left in the hands of a good tailor. Come to think of it, it's one of the most ignored style advices I can give - find a good tailor.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• unwashed
                  • Dec 2008

Yes there are style courses and I almost applied for a stylist course 15 years ago when I was still young . I guess you can learn some basic rulings to dress yourself, but in the end it's the same as taking piano lessons.
                  There are people into classical piano style to country bar piano to jazzy piano style played on grand piano's, organs, synthesizers and this applies to dressing/styling yourself too. Different people with different tastes, experimenting with taste and finding their own style.
                  Eventually you know what to look for in regards to style and know what works for you. You'll maybe shift from time to time, but can stick with the basic rules for your bodytype. It also helps to be confident in what you wear. Then it'll look much better.
                  Grailed link

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Bump for new (and old) members.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                      • Sep 2015

I think Unwashed and Faust are giving good advice here.

I actually do some style consulting; usually this is someone I know asking me for help with finding their own personal style. Just as every person is different, every person's style should be unique. And so the process I use varies depending on the person, where he/she currently is, self-awareness, etc.

But if you're starting out, I would suggest a few things:

Start with good basics. By good, I mean pieces of decent quality, but not necessarily expensive/designer/etc. The point here isn't to blow your budget, but to learn what works for you, and you'll learn more by buying pieces that will last longer than your typical H&M stuff will.

While you're starting with basics, start also paying attention to them. Pay attention to everything, but really focus on:
                      Which if these pieces do you feel best in?
                      Which pieces do you always go to first?
                      Which things get you compliments from others?
                      Are there commonalities between these things?

Also pay attention to other clothes and things.
                      What colors are you drawn to? Shapes? Textures? Are there any clothes that just make you stop in your tracks? Like, for me, this Nicolas Andreas Taralis look takes my breath away:

These are hints to what you're most likely to feel great in. Start trying on things that fit these characteristics and see how it feels. It's really a process of trial-and-error and a LOT of trying things on.

And, as Faust said, find a good tailor (something I have failed to do since I moved...).

Comment

• Lex1017
                        • Jul 2015

Since I started making clothes myself I have become less adventurous. I wear cropped trousers with combat boots every day switching up the tops, and swapping to sneakers from time to time. It's weird, I love outlandish and crazy runway looks and designs more and more because of the technicality and craft, but my personal wardrobe becomes more and more narrowed. Maturity? I don't know. It's interesting though.

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Lex1017 View Post
                          It's weird, I love outlandish and crazy runway looks and designs more and more because of the technicality and craft, but my personal wardrobe becomes more and more narrowed. Maturity? I don't know. It's interesting though.
                          I think it's very interesting. For what it's worth, I have noticed the same pattern in myself and also wondered if it was a maturity/age thing. My gut feeling is that it at least part of it.

I have been going through a lot of internal work and discovery in the last six months, and I am fairly certain that these things are all tied. I know myself better now, and I'm way more comfortable with who I am, and so I feel like I am finally settling into myself and my style.

I said just the other day that I was ready to have a uniform, and I have been thinking about designing a little capsule concept for myself. I knit like a demon, but unfortunately I don't sew well, which sucks, because it would be fun to experiment and eventually make some of the pieces myself.

Comment

• Slub
                            • Jan 2015

Wear whatever you want, as long as it fits

I'm a bit more strict about what I wear myself, I'm a student on an absolute shoestring and I'm generally most comfortable wearing sportswear, but my priority in dressing myself is to balance play, comfort and utility with some coherence. Since I first discovered Rick in early 2011 I've been drawn to the heavier and less approachable Rick pieces, especially some earlier items.I feel almost too comfortable in some of the less 'wearable' pieces. Otherwise, I want the way I dress to explore my interest in the history and manufacture of textiles whilst aspiring to absolute androgyny.

All that, or to serve as a walking billboard of my own work

Comment

• jimmycs
                              • Mar 2014

I do not have any clear philosophy per say but I do know what I like and intrigue me when I see one. The next step is to ponder if the particular look would suit me. I do have likes but not necessarily attached to any particular designers.

Funny thing is that once in a while when I dress tame and "normal", people around me say "that is not you"...

Also, when I look back, I can see that my taste has evolved and morphed over the years into more out of the norm clothing.

Comment

• Erich Fromm
                                • May 2017

Personally I always make a distinction between style as a personal form of expression and clothing as a potential form of "art".

Arthur Danto said that art is the "physical embodiment of meaning", whichever meaning that might be and some designers certainly accomplish this. Especially Yohji.

On the other hand style is something that I feel portrays the intrinsic personality of the wearer on the outside, something that I feel Yohji expressed quite artistically in his Mens AW 09 collection. I love the way in which someones look can tell a story about themselves, even if the story is torn between many different aspects. A teenager might still be deciding wether he wants to be a rockstar or a writer and that will be reflected in his way of dressing. On that note I feel like personal style is constant evolution in a natural manner, which is also why a look that is forced and not natural can seem affected and look terrible. I was always very much into classical menswear as a young teenager (weird I know) and now that I am approaching university I am far more interested in the likes of CCP, Yohji or CDG (not that I can afford much of that though sadly) and it feels like a logical progression because there is such an emphasis and love for quality and construction in both aesthetics. In a way this evolution seems intrinsic to every different personality, just like growth is a natural thing. I think this makes sense when you regard the human as a "thinking thing" as Descartes puts it. It's all about the fact that, regardless of what we think, we are always thinking and - hopefully - always growing. And this can be beautifully reflected in the way we dress and just as much in the way a designer creates his clothing.

Edit: Sorry if this is too theoretical, but the thread is called Style Philosophy

Edit 2: Something that just came to me regarding my post is that the distinction I made above only applies when clothing as a form of "art" only completely differs from style when it is seen as an unworn object. For example in a fashion show (even though it is worn). The object is then only a manifestation of meaning. I suppose the word style makes the implication of clothing being worn. As with any form of art it is always a dialogue between artist and audience, which is probably why clothing fascinates me so much because wearing a designers clothing is the most intimate dialogue I can think of.
                                Last edited by Erich Fromm; 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎