• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Damn!

thats crazy
    Gebnerally spealing though, Jackets that are made with a lining on the interior are not serged/ overlocked. as the lining, aside from being there to made the garment slide better over the body, also serves to protect the unfinished edged of the garment from abrasion/ wear.

Indeed, fabrics like linen ewtc with a looser weave, will always have a greater risk of the above results than other tightly woven fabric.

One way of designers preventing something like this is to fuse the seams of the garment with a lightweight interfacing before sewing the peices together.......................the problem is it is at times a labor intensive process that can significantly increase the cost of production.

Sorry ot see this man, but only someone like you would take this chance..................
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

Yeah, I'm glad to see you're taking this in a positive stride...I would of broken down into tears. Will definitely take this post into account when dying clothing with a looser weave.

Comment

• Mos
        • Jun 2010

I've read that adding lining to an unlined jacket will create more structure, will this change the silhouette of the jacket significantly though? I'm thinking of lining an unlined Geoffery B Small Jacket in some lightweight cotton, but not sure where to source, or whether it'd even be feasible. Any advice?

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

I guess that's what they meant by Construction and Destruction
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• theshametrain
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
            Got this Devoa blazer in cotton/linen in charcoal. Wanted it to match my Devoa pants in the same fabric but in pure black. Spent midday saturday dying it (cold dye) and after the final rinse I noticed some fringing of fabric in the mass of wet fabric and saw the damage. Once it started to dry, I was able to see the true extent of what happened:

So apparently even though the tag indicates the jacket is hand washable, it literally shredded apart at the seams as the water loosened the weave and the hand-agitation only served to help pull everything apart.

On examination of the interior of the jacket it looks like the coarse weave cotton/linen fabric was not serged and the cut edges left raw with a straight stitch for all the seams. This is an inherent problem with the construction as it will likely be expected that the garments constructed in this fabric will slowly pull at the seams even if not wet/washed, just at a slower pace.

All that being said and found out, it will not deter me from altering my own clothing. It just serves as a reminder that I can't make assumptions about internal construction of garments by other designers.

At the very least, I can now take this jacket apart and just make myself a new one since I'll be able to generate the jacket pattern.
            definitely not for everyone, but i love the destroyed look.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎