Clear All
  • hamham3002
    • Sep 2008

hows the GX100/200 compared to GRD??

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I think GX200 and GR-DII are fairly similar apart from the focal length, the GX has a wide angle zoom lens whereas the GRD has a 28mm lens. theres actually a GRD III out now with a slightly lower aperture and apparently better image quality.

the main difference why choose one or the other is definately the lens, if you're sure you'd need a zoom, go with the GX, if you're ok with a prime lens then the GRD (better quality and no distortion). depends a lot on the use.

I have a GR-DII myself to carry around when I don't have the DSLR and its a nice, handy camera. convenient manual settings, a lot of noise at higher ISO though. the 28mm lens is good most of the time, I'm used to prime lenses on larger cameras so the fixed focal length isn't a shock, but I've noticed people who've borrowed it to take a pic to be kind of baffled by the lack of zoom.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• magic
        • Feb 2009

i am planning to get my first dslr but not sure which model to get. i prefer in Canon EOS, any model that are good for a start? i heard most of the dslr are user friendly so should i go for a latest model?

any adivse will be greatful
        Focusing on object details

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
          go for it, its very good and will take you a long way. you can probably find good deals since the 500d is out now.

the kit lens has never been very good on the canons though, I would get the body and an alternative lens. if you're looking for something basic, Tamron and Sigma both have 17-50 2.8 lenses which are a very good alternative to the kit lens, same focal length, far better image quality, better in lower light conditions etc.. I believe both are around $400 new.

if you're able to spend more, one of the best lenses available is a Canon 17-55 2.8 IS. image quality is excellent, possibly better than on some L-series lenses. its double the price compared to the Tamron and Sigma ones though.
          Thank you very much for your input, Lowrey.
          Kind of what I aspected about the kit lens,
          so its great to hear about the alternatives.
          Basic is what I need, at least to start with.
          Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
          Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• laughed
            • Jul 2009

know there are some people on here that have had experience with cameras.....so i am about to make a purchase and have narrowed it down--maybe--to two cameras. The Contax G1 or G2 or a Leica M-6. Obviously there is a bit of a price increase with the Leica. I am not really after it for the name, but it does take great pictures. I know the Contax takes just as great if not better pics. Anyone have experience with either of these? Also, is there any truth to the Leica digitals being the exact same as one of the Panasonic lines? thanks.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

theres some thoughts on the M6 here: http://photo.net/equipment/leica/m6 (and even slight comparison to a Contax)

regarding the point and shoot Leica's, I've understood that they are fairly similar to the Panasonic equivalents. there might be some difference in the firmware, build etc and also if there is a difference in the warranty length, that might be worth considering. (heard a rumor of 3 years vs 1 for Panasonic)

my girlfriend has a Leica c-lux and its pretty good, I know she appreciates the look more then any technical aspects so it was an obvious choice
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
                Thank you very much for your input, Lowrey.
                Kind of what I aspected about the kit lens,
                so its great to hear about the alternatives.
                Basic is what I need, at least to start with.

i have a 350D from 5 or so years ago. camera is fine but the lens is not much cop, so I agree with ml.

I've been thnking about getting the cannon fixed 50mm 1.4f lens, mainly to do portraits. anyone used that or have any other thoughts on whther that's a good idea?

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

its very good and also compact. I have a 35mm 1.4L and the performance in low light conditions is pretty epic with both of these. I've actually been thinking of changing to the 50mm as the 35mm is very big and thus often gets left at home.

Comment

• Pinoy
                    • Dec 2006

for compact cameras, i'd check out the Panasonic LX3. It's essentially the same thing as the Leica D-Lux 4 but without the iconic red badge. Takes excellent photos, full manual operation, great ISO performance, leica optics (f/2.0 lens!).... honestly can't go wrong.

Comment

• Johnny
                      • Sep 2006

thanks! think i will pull trigger on this (the lens) next week.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                        i have a 350D from 5 or so years ago. camera is fine but the lens is not much cop, so I agree with ml.

I've been thnking about getting the cannon fixed 50mm 1.4f lens, mainly to do portraits. anyone used that or have any other thoughts on whther that's a good idea?
                        It looks like I'll be stuck with the kit lens, to start with,
                        as I need to budgetize here.

I'll get the 450d here next week,
                        I'm very much looking forward to it.
                        Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Schadenfreude
                          • Jan 2008

friend just gave me a panasonic dmc-fs15
                          12.1MP, 5xoptical zoom, wide angle lens.

pretty excited about it.
                          Originally posted by ddohnggo
                          fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                            for compact cameras, i'd check out the Panasonic LX3. It's essentially the same thing as the Leica D-Lux 4 but without the iconic red badge. Takes excellent photos, full manual operation, great ISO performance, leica optics (f/2.0 lens!).... honestly can't go wrong.
                            Found this comparison while looking at the LX3:
                            http://ianho.blogspot.com/2008/11/pa...a-d-lux-4.html

Comment

• May 2007

The Leica D-lux series are very similar to the Lumix lx series (I think that's the right model someone please correct me if I'm wrong). There are no Panasonic equivalents to the Leica M series.

And I second Mike's recommendation on the Ricoh GRIID. Great camera that fits in the pocket, something that it's competition like the d-lux and the Canon G series can't do as easily.

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                              know there are some people on here that have had experience with cameras.....so i am about to make a purchase and have narrowed it down--maybe--to two cameras. The Contax G1 or G2 or a Leica M-6. Obviously there is a bit of a price increase with the Leica. I am not really after it for the name, but it does take great pictures. I know the Contax takes just as great if not better pics. Anyone have experience with either of these? Also, is there any truth to the Leica digitals being the exact same as one of the Panasonic lines? thanks.

Comment

• theetruscan
                                • Jan 2008

Wanting to get a camera for better pictures than my SD790 (Canon). I'm torn between an entry level DSLR and either the Ricoh GR Digital III (or maybe II for a deal, though the slower lens is worrying) or the Panasonic LX3. I'm never going to be a serious enthusiast, but I'd like to be able to take nicer pictures.

Do the skilled photographers have a take for a talentless hobbyist?
                                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎