X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • widmerpool
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
    would they be able to produce a competitive camera on their own without licensing german lens makers to upsell their products?

samsung also does this with schneider. after this, they're no more reputable german optic makers to lean on..
    Would Nikon and Olympus be able to produce a competitive camera on their own without putting a Sony sensor in it?

NEX is the top mirrorless system worldwide according to the figures Sony showed at Photokina. I'm pretty sure it's not the single $1k Zeiss lens available driving that.

The relationship with Zeiss seems to be changing now that Zeiss is bringing out its mirrorless range for NEX and Fuji X next year. Until now the deal was believed to be that Zeiss made its own MF lenses in Sony mounts, while the AF Zeiss branded lenses had various degrees of Zeiss design/supervision/pixie dust contribution.

I am getting an RX1 as soon as I can.
    http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

sure, if they decided to design their own sensors in-house, why not?

i like the rx1, and it surprised me sony produced it, being they are very safe and lifestyle oriented brand. i just don't see them as innovative as volta puts them out to be. maybe behind the scenes.

i wouldn't mind owning that rx1, but like clothes, i'd buy that used, seasons later..

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

I wonder what the sequel to the RX1 will be...would be nice to see it in other focal lengths, like Sigma did with the Merrill.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• widmerpool
          • Nov 2010

sure, if they decided to design their own sensors in-house, why not?

i like the rx1, and it surprised me sony produced it, being they are very safe and lifestyle oriented brand. i just don't see them as innovative as volta puts them out to be. maybe behind the scenes.

i wouldn't mind owning that rx1, but like clothes, i'd buy that used, seasons later..
          Olympus couldn't come up with an improved m43 sensor for years before Sony rescued them.

Sony has been far more innovative in cameras than Canon or Nikon for years.

I think if they were going to make more than one focal length they would have started with a 50 mm.

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

olympus, if saved by sony, is back in deep doo-doo with that recent scandal.

i don't want to sound like i am berating sony. i honestly think the rx1 is a huge step forward in their camera division. even if they lose money on this camera, they are elevating their brand.

the thing with sony is that i've never used a camera made by them that was memorable. which probably fuels my apathy towards their products. i remember the canon g3, g6, and the old A series powershots. the only sony i remember having fun with was the mavica (3.5" floppy)

they do make some good earbud headphones. i'll never stop buying those..

Comment

• Lane
              • Aug 2010

wish leica wasnt the cost of like buying CCP

Comment

• widmerpool
                • Nov 2010

olympus, if saved by sony, is back in deep doo-doo with that recent scandal.
                As a result of that scandal Sony gave them a $650 million cash injection that got Sony access to Olympus' medical equipment division and got Olympus the Sony sensor everyone likes so much in the OMD.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Wasn't the OMD already released by the time Sony invested in Olympus?
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by widmerpool View Post
                    $650 million cash injection
                    i've read somewhere sony plans to sell bonds to raise this money. once this was announced, their stocks tanked. maybe investors felt it wasn't a good move to buy into a company that cooks books, i dunno...

i don't think sony wants to preserve the lineage of olympus camera. they want the medical division, in exchange for sensor tech for olympus to preserve their face as a camera maker, not endoscopes..

Comment

• Philipppp
                      • Apr 2010

Hey,

I wonder if anyone here have used the Fujifilm X-E1? I am thinking about getting one or another similiar mirrorless camera.

Thanks.

Comment

• tenorish
                        • Oct 2011

^ I had my eyes on that but went with the Sony NEX-5N and Voigtländer 35mm f1.2 II in the end..
                        Although the size of the lens makes the combination "unpocketable", it's image quality, Sony's Focus Peaking technology and it's good low light performance more than compensate.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Do the Fuji's still have the slow-focusing issues?

Comment

• Philipppp
                            • Apr 2010

I tried both the Fuji X100 today and the Fuji X-E1. I preferred the feeling of a X-E1 due to the grip, menues and the weight from the bigger and heavier 18-55mm lens. The XE-1 didn't have as much text on the menu buttoms. It also didn't look and feel retro, which is great I think.

The slow-focusing issue is not a problem anymore from what I've heard, they updated their firmware.

Comment

• Lane
                              • Aug 2010

oh well, still returned it and bought a ricoh gr iv, way better for me. Nothing beats snap focus.

Comment

• Anton
                                • Oct 2014

Quite a few years since this thread was updated and now it's a good time for an update since I'm looking to get a camera.
                                I'm not a professional photographer and mostly use it to take photos of projects that I'm working (some in a studio environment) on and some travelling.

I got a flexible budget but not over the top and I don't want to spend money on hype. I need something practical that will last me for a quite some time. I know that there are a few companies leading the industry these days, but I'm not technically proficient enough to truly understand the minute differences in the technical specification (also what sounds great on paper isn't necessarily great as described). What would you recommend?
                                I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                                My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎