X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arcane
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
    yea that makes sense, I was actually worried about the same when I bought mine but I never ended up upgrading the body.

any particular reason you're planning to upgrade? I'm just curious as I was planning on changing but after using basic dslr's for years, I realized that theres really nothing else I need since I prefer the slight (physical) size advantage compared to most FF bodies, and image quality is largely dictated by having the right lenses.
    Well, after some consideration you might be right. The reasons to have FF is probably not that many as I want them to be.

Maybe I'll go for an EF-S lens and just stay off FF. Money saved from body buy will be invested in nice lenses
    Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• Ivans On High
      Banned
      • Oct 2008

Has anyone tried the Lumix GF1 and the Olympus EP-2 side by side? I'm going to get a micro four thirds camera and have narrowed it down to these two, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

I actually compared the EP-1 and GF1 pretty extensively and was close to buying one of them, but ended up going for the Canon S90 as it was one third in size and pretty much the same picture quality. apparently EP-2 is exactly the same as EP-1, but for some reason (well, to sell cameras) Olympus wanted to call it a new model because they changed the body colour. I haven't looked at the specs up close but I've seen previews state that its virtually the same.

anyway, I wanted to like the Olympus more because of its appearance (), but the GF1 simply seems like the better camera. going by the sample images I've gone through of both, the Lumix appeared to be cabable of taking better looking shots. sam goes for video, if I remember correctly the video specs are roughly the same but in all sample clips I digged up the GF1 seemed superior. I couldn't tell much about the handling and controls because both were new interfaces to me as a Canon user, but neither one stuck out in a bad way.

the Olympus is definitely a decent camera, but based on sample images and reviews I'd go with the GF1.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Ivans On High
          Banned
          • Oct 2008

google and ye shall find...

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Ol...x-DMCGF1-12937

A pretty good comparison between the 2, not particularly well written but you get the idea. God I hate deciding between consumer electronics. When in doubt buy the most expensive I say.

edit: and of course, thanks for your help lowrey
          Last edited by Ivans On High; 05-08-2010, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

I'm a bit surprised at the conclusion the reviewer came to. the guy says he prefers how the olympus handles noise when the pictures clearly show otherwise, there is even notable noise at ISO200 which is not good.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

I have had a 450D for a while and want to upgrade to a 7D. But with the 7D I feel like there are arguments to be made to opt for the 550D. Or even go one step further to the 5D. I would be using it professionally (as in: for my work) and want quality rather than something affordable, but differences seem to be small considering the huge price difference between the 3 ... anyone here got hands-on experience with these? Specifically the 7D vs the 550D?
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

I'm actually just in the process of getting the 550D as my friend wants to buy my 450D.

to be honest I don't see the point in the 7D, particularly now that the 550D is available. same sensor size, both cropped, the only clearly notable difference is probably the processor speed which is twice as fast on the 7D. but it also weighs 50% more, and is quite a bit more expensive. so in my book its either the 550D or full frame.

I was looking for specs on the 550D some time ago and came across a test according to which the 550 actually beat the 7D in terms of image quality and sharpness. I'll try to look it up.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

I was looking for specs on the 550D some time ago and came across a test according to which the 550 actually beat the 7D in terms of image quality and sharpness. I'll try to look it up.
                  http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-e...u-5244-article this one?
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2008

The JPEG engine on the E-P2 seems slightly more pleasing to my eye, which is a plus when I can't be arsed to shoot in RAW. I also think the ergonomics of the E-P2 are better also, the GF1 was quite awkward to hold one-handed.

The E-P2 also looks damn sexy.

I think I'll go for the E-P2 kit with the 14-42mm, and buy the Lumix 20mm pancake seperately - it is a very nice lens.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                      yea thats the one, convinced me to upgrade from the 450D, plus I don't mind video ability

Comment

• mrbeuys
                        • May 2008

yea thats the one, convinced me to upgrade from the 450D, plus I don't mind video ability
                        I want to mainly for the video. Did some tests on a 550D with the 1.4 50mm EF lens and it's pretty mindblowing when you are used to shooting on film.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

mrbeuys, if you don't mind my asking, which film camera do you normally use? Thanks in advance.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• mrbeuys
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                            mrbeuys, if you don't mind my asking, which film camera do you normally use? Thanks in advance.
                            Usually a 435 when I have the budget or a 416 when not. Still only shot tests on RED, but was quite impressed. Using a Varicam on a lot of lower budget shoots, but I think we will move towards 5D or similar in the future.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                              • Jan 2010

Still using my GR Digital 1 and thinking about getting a second one for back-up or a GRD2.

The Ricohs are really great for macro shots.
                              THE HOUSE OF DIS
                              embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• doldrums
                                • Dec 2008

Have a 7D. with the 550D, not sure if I'd made the same decision when i bought but i havent exactly looked back or felt any sense of regret. the pics and video have been incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎