Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • formateriam
    • Feb 2011

The best camera is the one that's on you, meaning the one she's comfortable carrying around. This will ultimately be reflected by the size and weight of the camera/lens. The micro 4/3rds is a good suggestion as a compromise between a DSLR vs point and shoot, but might lack in areas depending on her requirements.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I think the no-brainer choice for an entry level DSLR is either a Canon 550D or a Nikon D90, or maybe a D3100 (nikon users..?) The Sonys and other non-camera manufacturer cameras I would personally skip, and any sort of fall-between models (1000D for example), seem kind of pointless to me.

I'm a Canon user myself and much prefer their controls etc., but the manufacturer debate is endless and boils down to personal preference.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Fenix
        • Aug 2010

Thanks for all the of input guys! I'll definitely check out the 550D.
        Originally posted by hausofblaq
        Grow up.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Contax G2 + the 45mm lens, thoughts? Read Ken Rockwell and it sounds like the best possible rangefinder one can get.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• syed
            • Sep 2010

Heck yes! Contax G2 is my dream rangefinder (well, aside from a Lecia M6). I got to use it once with a 35mm lens (f/1.8?), and loved it.
            "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• kbi
              • Feb 2009

I just bought myself a leica m3 from 1958. waiting for it to arrive.

On another note referring to the posts above though, a friend of mine recently told me that he wanted to buy himself a new sony dslr. I told him the same as above but he was somewhat amazed by all the new gadgety functions that it has (new technology enables shooting-speed of 10 pictures per second etc.) has anybody here already tried one or got one himself?

Comment

• marsa
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                Contax G2 + the 45mm lens, thoughts? Read Ken Rockwell and it sounds like the best possible rangefinder one can get.
                great camera - just make sure the autofocus is correct - as they have a tendency to have faulty focuspoints.

is you are looking at rangefinders - try a secondhand Voigtlander Bessa with a 35mm or 40mm prime lens.

-FUCK Ken Rockwell, that guys doesnt know shit!

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by marsa View Post

-FUCK Ken Rockwell, that guys doesnt know shit!
                  LOL...I think he is not a good photographer at all, but somehow I enjoy/get a kick out of reading his writings. He seems to be channeling exactly what I want to hear at times, especially in his articles on the "art" of photography. Definitely a weird kind of guilty pleasure...

and I don't know about the Contax autofocus. Have a Contax TVS at home that I don't use very much, the autofocus is shit - 90% of the time if use AF the picture ends up all blurry. I tend to prefer manual focus anyway.
                  www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                    I tend to prefer manual focus anyway.
                    you should not get this camera if you prefer manual focus.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

ok all i needed to hear, thanks.
                      www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

may i suggest an yashica mat 124g TLR instead of a rangefinder? reasons being..

1. introduces you to a new format: SQUARE
                        2. medium format film (big fat juicy negatives/chromes)
                        3. really fun camera to use, cheap, and has a built-in meter.
                        4. you know exactly what the composition is through the ground glass (except the image is reversed)

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

enders is that your photo? it's beautiful.

i am looking for a film camera to use regularly so i don't have to keep going back and forth to school to borrow/return their Nikon FM2, which has served me well as an SLR, but was just genuinely curious to shooting with a rangefinder.

However the parallax problem may be a nuisance particularly to my style of shooting which if you follow my posts on the Bulletin Board I favor relatively tight close-ups a lot of the time, and similarly my preferred framing/composition around the peripheral edges of the frame is highly dependent on getting exactly what i see in the viewfinder not an mm left or right.
                          Last edited by Fade to Black; 02-25-2011, 08:27 AM.
                          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• marsa
                            • Feb 2011

I would still recommed the Voigtlander Bessa as a nice entry level RF, ive had one for years and works as a clock.

Originally posted by syed View Post
                            Heck yes! Contax G2 is my dream rangefinder (well, aside from a Lecia M6). I got to use it once with a 35mm lens (f/1.8?), and loved it.

- however I ALWAYS wonder why people list the Leica M6 as their "dream camera" etc - "which im saving up to" etc .

I currently own 1 classic M6, 1 ttl M6 and 1 M3 - and none of these cost me more than 1200 $ give or take a few hundreds (gravel, considering the pricetag on most of the clothing in here....)

...the glass on the other hand is a whole other story....

good thing with RFs is that you see "more" than the filmplane,- this is something that I value as it in my opinion completely changed the way I shoot.
                            Last edited by marsa; 02-25-2011, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• syed
                              • Sep 2010

Hah, I know it's not that expensive considering, it's just one of those cameras I always think I will buy "one day". Probably the lure of the red dot. In the meanwhile I am quite happy with my Electro GSN and XA2, even though they are close to toy cameras

On the 120 front, I just ran a roll through my Yashica D, but am trying to find somewhere cheap to develop.
                              "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• marsa
                                • Feb 2011

the yashica electro gsn is such an underrated camera!!

love the the DOF on the 45mm 1.7!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎