• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

another Yashica gsn owner here

to be honest I haven't used it a lot, but its definitely a nice camera. I even forgot I had it for a while when I started shooting in medium format
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

that picture is by keith yan of overshadowed.

good luck with your camera search. i'd get the biggest format you can carry.

Comment

• Jonn
        • Mar 2008

totally new to medium format. im looking for a cheap 120 rangerfinder with built in meter that i can carry around without breaking my neck. or is TLR the go to 120 of choice??

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

the TLR i mentioned is going to be the best bang for the buck. any mf rangefinder isn't going to be cheap. you didn't specify price or format. 645, 6x6, 6x7?

with built-in metering, you can start with fuji ga or gs645's. then the price goes up from there.

i highly recommend mamiya 6/7 if that's your price range.

Comment

• Jonn
            • Mar 2008

think im gonna give yashica mat-124 g a try. are fujica 670II those any good? im rather tall with a big head ordinary mechanical 135 SLRs look clownish on me, and im sick of carrying a big bag with lens etc. budget is around 500.

Comment

• endersgame
              • Aug 2009

i don't think gw fuji's have light meters. those are really heavy cameras. kinda like pentax 67's.

if you get a yashica mat, better to buy one CLA'd with new light seals. remember these cameras are old.

Comment

• marsa
                • Feb 2011

who needs lightmeters anyways..........

learn how to use certain films for certain settings and remember conditions where you failed to make correct exposures, as well as (obviously) those who turned out correctly.

- become a human lightmeter.....

I used trix400 and neopan1600 extensively for about 2 years - writing in my moleskin(clichè i know) pretty much every single exposure...the last 6 months I shot with a dead battery in my Leica - just to see if I could rely on my own knowledge.... exposure wise roughly 80% correct ( out of approx. 300 rolls)

basicly further extending the sunny 16 rule...

The basic rule is, "On a sunny day set aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to the [reciprocal of the] ISO film speed [or ISO setting] for a subject in direct sunlight."

more here on sunny 16.

Comment

• formateriam
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by marsa View Post
                  who needs lightmeters anyways..........

learn how to use certain films for certain settings and remember conditions where you failed to make correct exposures, as well as (obviously) those who turned out correctly.

- become a human lightmeter.....

basicly further extending the sunny 16 rule...

The basic rule is, "On a sunny day set aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to the [reciprocal of the] ISO film speed [or ISO setting] for a subject in direct sunlight."

more here on sunny 16.
                  When outdoors during the day, I find the sunny 16 rules more convenient than relying on a meter and adjusting with manual settings. It's just a matter of a bit of practice that can be applied to film or digital. Indoors is a different matter for me...

Comment

• marsa
                    • Feb 2011

pratice my son! - just kidding.

when shooting ambient light indoor, just remember to keep that glass wide open and steady on low shutterspeeds.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

ended up getting the G2 (it was a birthday present!) after consideration at the camera store and feeling the handling of different cameras - the autofocus strangely enough worked well for me due to its intuitive nature. Just shot and developed my first roll with it - looking good so far, hope to keep getting good use out of it.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• lost53
                        • Dec 2010

The G2, is truly a wonderful pice of kit.

The lenses are perhaps the nicest 35mm (small format), ever made. Of course this is subjective...

I paid my first bills shooting on one of these, alas it no longer is suited to my type of work. Enjoy!
                        Last edited by lost53; 02-28-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• shah
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                          i wish i'd learned the fully manual stuff first, wish i'd gotten into it earlier and wish i figured out Photoshop in high school/college.
                          precisely the reason i refuse to buy a digital for the time being, though i am often tempted by nice deals on micro fourthirds. it is quite a commitment to document *everything* and i usually wait to develop them all together in a few months so i need proper note taking so i know what i did for each exposure (don't have dark room, i also have medium format negs & pos., 35mm negs, in both b&w and color so...)

it kinda limits spontaneous photography but really makes me think about all the different elements that go into each exposure and forces me to be creative in ways i think i'd overlook with a digital.

i'm sure any digital will pay for itself after a few hundred exposures, but once i'm ready and can afford it i will do something idiotic like buying a leica m8 and storing my film cameras in the "archives." until that day comes there will be a lot of

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

i don't think the leica m8 or m9 comes close to the kind of images produced by the film cameras from the M series...i shoot pretty much only film now and not sure i'll go back to digital unless for a certain assignment or job requirement. If anything shooting film has improved my spontaneity and creativity when shooting, and in a sense it has somehow started to free my previously imprisoning sense of composition as well. Now that I am shooting a rangefinder my technique is continuing to change for the better, just developed my 2nd roll with the G2 and from the negatives am quite happy with the compositions.

i read a comment elsewhere that rings true, "a digital Leica isn't a real Leica."
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• shah
                              • Jul 2009

like it or not, film is a dying breed. when digital was first introduce, many in photography circles decried it as a perversion upon the art. yet the improvements in technology have taken it beyond the imagination of most. leicas are really overpriced for what they are, a collectioneur's desire for exclusivity and design. doesn't mean i wouldn't get one but i'm a [smalltime] enthusiast. ideally i'd go for an alpa 12 and enjoy the hybrid nature of the beast but it's a bit much

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

rangefinders with autofocus and motor winding sort of robs you of everything that is a pleasure associated with rangefinder cameras.

i remember getting a ga645zi with motorized zoom, af, and motor winding. great pictures, but it's just another point an shoot..like terry richardson's yashica t4. it doesn't make your heart race, it just takes pictures..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎