X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Are we talking cropped sensor or full? For cropped, the textbook all around lens is around the 17-55 mark and that is actually pretty useful in most situations. Typically if you go further such as 17-85mm, you start sacrifizing light powerat least.

I use a Canon 17-55 2.8 IS 95% of the time, the rest is 50mm 1.4.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

while we are at it, what do you guys think about the Sony Nex 5?

I have to get a new camera but somehow dont know if I want to go with the DSLR...........im just a dumb dumb with these things.........

only good thing is I wont be carrying it around, so I could deal with the DSLR, but if the nex5 takes as good quality pics and is more user friendly then I'd go for that...........
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• radial
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        For those who use DSLR/interchangeable lens cameras...what lenses do you own, specifically, where's a good place to start with regard to focal lengths.
        If you're on a NIkon the 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 is the best catch-all lens. I keep that on my camera and carry a 50mm 1.4 'pancake' in my pocket for low light and bokeh.

zamb: as for the Sony nex5 . . . i've played around with the alpha 65 and and just have issues with the way the photos come out of the camera, color is never right on and the menus are tricky to get it to adjust in-camera. But at 16mp you'd have all the information of most mid-range DSLR's, so a little post processing could fix those issues. And you gotta love the mirror-less slim body.

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
          Are we talking cropped sensor or full? For cropped, the textbook all around lens is around the 17-55 mark and that is actually pretty useful in most situations. Typically if you go further such as 17-85mm, you start sacrifizing light powerat least.

I use a Canon 17-55 2.8 IS 95% of the time, the rest is 50mm 1.4.
          I have a micro 4/3...even though you told me not to buy one. ;)

I'm in the same boat as Zamb...I don't want to invest in a proper dslr...too much to learn, too much money, too much stuff to lug around. The mirrorless systems are a good compromise for the time-being.

Zamb - I read a zillion reviews, etc., and decided on the olympus e-pm1...cheaper, better reviews generally, more lens options, etc. etc. I cmpared the Nex 3/5, the lower end Panasonics, and decided on the olympus finally. It seems to be cheaper here in Canada though for some reason(?), which helped my decision.

Anyway, back to lenses - my options are limited...and as of yet, none of the micro 4/3 zoom lenses have a fast enough aperture for me to consider, so I've been looking at primes:

1. 45mm (90 equiv.) F1.8
          2. 20mm (40 equiv.) F1.7; and
          3. 25mm (50 equiv.) F1.4.

#2 is relatively close in length to the 14mm I already have, but better in low light. #3 is almost $600, and is fairly large & clunky. I'm leaning toward #1, but that leaves a pretty big gap from the 14mm I have.

In a perfect world, I guess I'd like a decent zoom...but at the moment, I'm hoping to end up with the 14, something around 25ish, the 45, and I guess I'll have to wait to get into the telephoto end.

...sorry for the ramble.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Who needs a real camera when you can just upgrade your iphone...
            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

I do.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• formateriam
                • Feb 2011

Going to the other extreme, i.e. the 45mm, you will achieve better isolation and telephoto abilities for subjects you can't physically get closer to... As a beginner, you probably won't notice any significant value between the fields of view of 14mm vs 20mm.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

Normal lens for life. on my digital camera it's a 24-105mm zoom but i keep it at 50, only time i use the zoom or wide is when i'm taking inconsequential photos like of an old jacket for an auction or something. For my real photographs, it's 50 (45mm on the G2).
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• soulshui
                    • Nov 2011

5d mark iii is being release a few days ago, I don't know why but after such a long wait I am not impress..

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by formateriam View Post
                      Going to the other extreme, i.e. the 45mm, you will achieve better isolation and telephoto abilities for subjects you can't physically get closer to... As a beginner, you probably won't notice any significant value between the fields of view of 14mm vs 20mm.
                      I picked up the 45 today...beautiful lens, should get some good use from it. Thinking next will be a leica 25...will need to save up for that one.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                        • Sep 2009

thinking about getting a new digital camera today, budget around 300-400. my friend recommended the canon g12. anyone have experience w/ this camera, or other suggestions? is it silly to spend 300-400 on a digital camera when i can probably get a decent one for 200?

ftb, glad to see you back
                        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

S100 gets good reviews, and isnt ad clunky as the g12.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Yes, go with the S. I've lost count on how many people I've convinced to buy it and everyone has loved it.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                              • Sep 2009

thanks for the recommendations. is it a canon?
                              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

yes. the predecessors (S90, S95) are equally good if you want to save a bit, the changes have been pretty minor.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎