Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genevieveryoko
    • Sep 2009

thanks again...will look into it. i always appreciate how helpful and knowledgeable people can be on here
    http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
      yes. the predecessors (S90, S95) are equally good if you want to save a bit, the changes have been pretty minor.
      S100 is a bit of a jump from the S90/95, isn't it?

If I remember, the advantages are in zoom range, video, and noise reduction. DP-review or another similar site will run down the differences, in case they do/don't matter to you.

That being said, the S90/S95 are probably the second best easily pocketable P&S cameras available (they are essentially the same cameras).
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post

If I remember, the advantages are in zoom range, video, and noise reduction. DP-review or another similar site will run down the differences, in case they do/don't matter to you.

That being said, the S90/S95 are probably the second best easily pocketable P&S cameras available (they are essentially the same cameras).
        s100 has 1080p recording and gps, new sensor (better processor, higher ISO, higher continuous shooting rate, etc.), but most importantly, a new finger grip!

I have to say this camera was high on my list...wouldn't consider any other p&s. Also, the finish on the casing is great...very tactile. Makes me want to rub it against my body.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
          yea there are a number of improvements, but I think in terms of image quality and regular daily use of an average user, there isn't a huge difference. if you want the best, the 100 is definitely the way to go, otherwise the older ones are great and can be found for a pretty good price as there is a never version.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• shah
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
            while we are at it, what do you guys think about the Sony Nex 5?

I have to get a new camera but somehow dont know if I want to go with the DSLR...........im just a dumb dumb with these things.........

only good thing is I wont be carrying it around, so I could deal with the DSLR, but if the nex5 takes as good quality pics and is more user friendly then I'd go for that...........
            I have just picked up the NEX5 which is dropping in price since the release of the C3 and 5N and now 7. There's not that huge of a difference, and with the firmware update you get some nice new features like the Peaking mode that's great for manual focus.

I love to use old glass on it, right now just have an Olympus OM 1.8/50 but I'm hoping to soon get a voigtlander or two. I think it looks great with that kind of hardware. It's also better than micro4/3, what with the bigger APC-S sensor, which helps a lot with low-iso, dynamic range, etc etc. and much less cropping so the 50 is a 35mm equiv of 75 vs 100 on a m4/3. I had the Panasonic G3 and, though the optical viewfinder was fantastic, I found it still not as easy for manual focus as the NEX system. Well, if you get the NEX7 you get a viewfinder, and I believe they make proprietary add-ons for the 5 but anyway ...

The initial criticisms were based mostly around price and the lack of lenses. But that doesn't bother me, with the G3 I was tempted to go on a lens-hoarding rampage. With the NEX I can't even think of doing it, but the lenses they are releasing now are very nice. The Zeiss 1.8/24 is fabulous albeit priced at ~$1k now so not cheap...

Rather than post my useless photography, I'll instead post photos of the NEX paired with the Zeiss and also manual lenses because I just love the look :)

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by soulshui View Post
              5d mark iii is being release a few days ago, I don't know why but after such a long wait I am not impress..
              I am not the most informed about the nitty gritty technical aspects of cameras, but I tested this out at the Canon Showroom in Tsim Sha Tsui today and it felt like a dream in my hands. Also the shutter sounds much more discreet than my Mark II, which has a very unpleasant CLUNK to it. Would love to shoot with it on my beloved Hong Kong streets too bad it costs so much...
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• chameleon
                • Jun 2008

^are you using a range of cameras or mainly the mark 2 for the photos you're posting here? good to see your stuff again, btw!

To you or anyone else: I'm very new to this whole thing, recently got my hands on a good deal for an EOS 600d + the 50mm USM 1.4 prime lens package and went for it. Unfortunately with the cropped sensor it's a bit narrow for me though I like the portraits I get with it. Any good recommendations for a decently priced lens that opens up a bit more and works with my canon? Mainly using the kit lens now. Was hoping to learn the ropes with a prime lens but it's not necessary if there are better zoom lenses more appropriate for noobs like me.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

Well a prime is always a prime. the 50mm is a great lense, but not necessarily for everyday, all around use on the cropped sensor. Personally I prefer the versatility of a zoom for daily use, and I don't think there is a truly great prime from Canon in the shorter range any way. well except for the 35mm L, but thats expensive and heavy.

if the kit lens range works well for you, Sigma makes a good 17-50 that has better image quality and low light performance.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by chameleon View Post
                    ^are you using a range of cameras or mainly the mark 2 for the photos you're posting here? good to see your stuff again, btw!
                    just the mark 2 for digital (kit lens; 24-105 zoom but I keep it at 50 for all of my serious photos), contax g2 for film (45mm lens)
                    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• chameleon
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                      Well a prime is always a prime. the 50mm is a great lense, but not necessarily for everyday, all around use on the cropped sensor. Personally I prefer the versatility of a zoom for daily use, and I don't think there is a truly great prime from Canon in the shorter range any way. well except for the 35mm L, but thats expensive and heavy.

if the kit lens range works well for you, Sigma makes a good 17-50 that has better image quality and low light performance.
                      Thanks! Yeah, doesn't have to be a prime nor a canon as long as it works with my camera, the 17-50 range is totally fine. I barely know what I'm doing, I started shooting in manual mode from the second I got it and am still trying to figure out when to use what settings. I love the 50mm too but I guess it would just be more versatile on a full-frame camera, will definitely keep using it though. Will look into the Sigma, sounds like a good thing.

Comment

• nictan
                        • Jul 2009

does anyone knows if there is a wide-angle/widescreen setting on the S95? if so, i can't seem to find it. thanks!

Comment

• 8bpc
                          • May 2010

Has anyone handled the Fuji X-Pro1? It looks like an interesting rangefinder-like camera (I know it's not a true rangefinder) and is certainly lighter than lugging a dSLR around all day when not necessary.

Comment

• widmerpool
                            • Nov 2010

I played around with one for half an hour. The body is weirdly light for the size but seemed quite nice. The lenses on the other hand felt like entry level $200 SLR lenses. Seemed very flimsy. The EVF is no better than the 3 year old one on my GXR. Manual focusing is a joke. I suspect this is going to be one of those cases where the second iteration is going to be a big jump forwards. Anyway, after half an hour I was cured of wanting one.

It's very big compared to a NEX/GXR with RF lenses.
                            http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                              • Mar 2007

Was keen to handle the Fujifilm X-Pro1 myself.
                              Disappointing to hear your first-hand thoughts about the camera, but can't say i'm too surprised....the X100 was a big let down (for me).
                              I'll stick to my GXR for now.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by 8bpc View Post
                                Has anyone handled the Fuji X-Pro1? It looks like an interesting rangefinder-like camera (I know it's not a true rangefinder) and is certainly lighter than lugging a dSLR around all day when not necessary.
                                Have you looked at the Olympus em-5? Not quite rangefinder style, but compact (ignore the kit lens...bulky and not great in quality). Body is $1000.
                                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎