Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132

Thread: Cameras

wish leica wasnt the cost of like buying CCP

Quote Originally Posted by endersgame View Post
    olympus, if saved by sony, is back in deep doo-doo with that recent scandal.
    As a result of that scandal Sony gave them a $650 million cash injection that got Sony access to Olympus' medical equipment division and got Olympus the Sony sensor everyone likes so much in the OMD.

Wasn't the OMD already released by the time Sony invested in Olympus?
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Quote Originally Posted by widmerpool View Post
    $650 million cash injection
    i've read somewhere sony plans to sell bonds to raise this money. once this was announced, their stocks tanked. maybe investors felt it wasn't a good move to buy into a company that cooks books, i dunno...

i don't think sony wants to preserve the lineage of olympus camera. they want the medical division, in exchange for sensor tech for olympus to preserve their face as a camera maker, not endoscopes..

Hey,

I wonder if anyone here have used the Fujifilm X-E1? I am thinking about getting one or another similiar mirrorless camera.

Thanks.

^ I had my eyes on that but went with the Sony NEX-5N and Voigtländer 35mm f1.2 II in the end..
    Although the size of the lens makes the combination "unpocketable", it's image quality, Sony's Focus Peaking technology and it's good low light performance more than compensate.

Do the Fuji's still have the slow-focusing issues?
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

I tried both the Fuji X100 today and the Fuji X-E1. I preferred the feeling of a X-E1 due to the grip, menues and the weight from the bigger and heavier 18-55mm lens. The XE-1 didn't have as much text on the menu buttoms. It also didn't look and feel retro, which is great I think.

The slow-focusing issue is not a problem anymore from what I've heard, they updated their firmware.

oh well, still returned it and bought a ricoh gr iv, way better for me. Nothing beats snap focus.

Quite a few years since this thread was updated and now it's a good time for an update since I'm looking to get a camera.
    I'm not a professional photographer and mostly use it to take photos of projects that I'm working (some in a studio environment) on and some travelling.

I got a flexible budget but not over the top and I don't want to spend money on hype. I need something practical that will last me for a quite some time. I know that there are a few companies leading the industry these days, but I'm not technically proficient enough to truly understand the minute differences in the technical specification (also what sounds great on paper isn't necessarily great as described). What would you recommend?
    I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
    My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

I have an X-Pro2 and I don't see myself buying another camera for a long time, though sometimes I wish I got the X-T2 instead for the flip out display and bigger viewfinder display. I mostly use my camera for travel with the 35mm/f2.0 lens and I cared about form factor, control scheme, and autofocus speed the most. Look into the X100F, X-Pro2/X-T2, or X-E3. The X-E3 is smaller and doesn't have waterproofing or the hybrid viewfinder that the X-Pro2 has but it's a lot cheaper. The X100F is a shrunk down X-Pro2 with a builtin lens but it's more expensive than the X-E3 because it pretty much has all the features of the X-Pro2. It's probably my favorite in terms of form factor but I prefer 35mm to the 23mm lens that it has. All of these cameras have the same sensor so picture quality is the same, but the X-T2 is better for video.

I did a mountain of research a couple years ago and ended up with an Olympus OMD. I couldn't be happier. Lightweight, beautiful design, reasonable price, and the range of lens is pretty impressive. I mostly shoot with a 25 mm (which is the equivalent of a 50mm full frame). Check it out, and in general, look up the micro 4/3rds family of cameras - I think they represent a good blend of valuable characteristics (price, performance, ergonomics, etc.)

really hard to say without knowing what size, functionality and price range you are looking for. I would start with size because you can find a wide spectrum of options in every size from full frame DSLR's (such as Canon 5D) to actually pocketable compacts (Sony RX100), between those would be smaller DSLR's and micro 4/3rds (Olympus, Panasonic Lumix)or similar mirrorless cameras (Sony A6500 etc)
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

At some point I consolidated every lens and body into a Sony RX1r and am still very happy with the usability and the lens/sensor combination. I recommend getting a used one for around 1k. Its 24mp will be more thsn enough to accomodate the real rez you will get out of handheld shots. It‘s a wellmade item, fits into a midsize bag, looks and feels great in a Gariz halfcase. For the most part I use it in shutter prio mode with auto iso by just changing the aperture as required.

What do you think of Canon EOS R? Do many people from here use it?

It's very tempting as I love taking off every single ounce I can when I travel, but I am just sick of upgrading technology and induced obsolescence. But if I was buying my first DSLR, I'd hit it.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine