Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightBlue
    • Sep 2009

this is probably a question asked previously on here but does anybody use a Yashica T4 ?

Is this camera all that it's cracked up to be ? I need a new snapshot camera for day to day use. Is this the best option ?

Everybody I know who has one raves about them. Any advise or opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MidnightBlue View Post
      this is probably a question asked previously on here but does anybody use a Yashica T4 ?

Is this camera all that it's cracked up to be ? I need a new snapshot camera for day to day use. Is this the best option ?

Everybody I know who has one raves about them. Any advise or opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
      I've got a Yashica T5...the zeiss lens is incredible, and it's an awesome camera! Do they even sell this anymore??

Comment

• MidnightBlue
        • Sep 2009

whats the difference between the T4 and the T5 ?

It's available in more places than you might think to be fair. Plenty of second hand ones on e-bay.

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by kofi3159 View Post
          Thinking of purchasing a DSLR camera..
          I am a rookie in the camera business..
          But I want to get more serious with my pictures..
          Currently have my eye on a Sony alpha 230..
          Is the a better camera at the same price level??
          Cheers
          I'd stick to actual camera manufacturers. to be honest this is not even based on experience, but just a gut feeling. I'm sure the sony is a nice camera but somehow I'd feel more comfortable with a Canon 450D or 500D. a new 500D is a bit more pricey than the Sony but you could probably find a 450D for roughly the same price.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• kofi3159
            • Feb 2009

^ thanks Mike...
            Guess I will be looking for a Canon now..
            Best

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
              I'd stick to actual camera manufacturers. to be honest this is not even based on experience, but just a gut feeling. I'm sure the sony is a nice camera but somehow I'd feel more comfortable with a Canon 450D or 500D. a new 500D is a bit more pricey than the Sony but you could probably find a 450D for roughly the same price.
              I second Mike!

You can't go wrong with a Canon or a Nikon. Personally I'm a Canon user.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Third. Although I am about to get on the phone with Nikon and give them a piece of my mind.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

dpreview put up a sample gallery for the new Canon S90, pictures are not the best possible (hardly any show good depth) but I was quite impressed by the portrait taken at ISO3200, noise and grain look like what most compact cameras have at 800.

I'm still not sure if I want to get this or a mini DSLR like the Olympus EP-1 or Lumix GF-1, the image quality on both of those seems fantastic but they're not really pocketable, which I probably need more.. but they look so good.....
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                    • Mar 2007

dpreview put up a sample gallery for the new Canon S90, pictures are not the best possible (hardly any show good depth) but I was quite impressed by the portrait taken at ISO3200, noise and grain look like what most compact cameras have at 800.

I'm still not sure if I want to get this or a mini DSLR like the Olympus EP-1 or Lumix GF-1, the image quality on both of those seems fantastic but they're not really pocketable, which I probably need more.. but they look so good.....
                    i'd wait for the Leica X1.

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

The EP-1 is really nice to shoot with, it's lovely. The way it handles zoom is quite nice. It magnifies the center of the screen by some significant factor. They're not pocketable at all. They're way more fun than the SD-90, but basically fit a different purpose. They're backup full-featured cameras or fantastic toys for non-pros. The sd90, with the retractable lens, is much less functional, but pocketable in all but the tightest pants.

And yeah, you could get an X1 if you're looking to blow $2000 on a toy camera, but I dunno. For that money, I'd get a GF1 with the pancake and a vacation.

EDIT: Yeah, maybe toy is the wrong word. But it's a very limited function camera. You get no exchangeable lenses, you get no zoom, you get a reasonably fast but not blazing aperature, questionable pocketabilty, and need a lens cap. It is a great camera, to be sure, but it fills a very small niche. It may not be a toy, but it is certainly not a primary camera for many. If you have a point and shoot and want a "cool picture camera" or have a DSLR and want a quick-snap camera, it is a fantastic piece of indulgent kit. But, given the niche it fills, it is quite pricey.
                      Last edited by theetruscan; 10-19-2009, 10:37 AM.
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• mw000
                        • Jan 2009

Picked up a Canon 30D and still can't use it very well.

I'm not too bad at the composition portion, but still do not know what lenses and lighting to use!

Some business associates and friends are pretty serious into photography and most use the Canon 5D MK2 with a slew of lenses including "L" telephoto lenses

That is a serious camera which even does video recording

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                          The EP-1 is really nice to shoot with, it's lovely. The way it handles zoom is quite nice. It magnifies the center of the screen by some pocketable. They're not pocketable at all. They're way more fun than the SD-90, but basically fit a different purpose. They're backup full-featured cameras or fantastic toys for non-pros. The sd90, with the retractable lens, is much less functional, but pocketable in all but the tightest pants.

And yeah, you could get an X1 if you're looking to blow $2000 on a toy camera, but I dunno. For that money, I'd get a GF1 with the pancake and a vacation.
                          I'd really wouldn't classify the X1 a toy camera. It's not cheap, but looking at the specs...not a toy.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

maybe toy is the wrong word, but I don't see it being much better than many alternatives in the 1/3 price range (EP-1 being $700), so I agree with theetruscan, definately not worth the pricetag in my opinion.

Comment

• swych
                              • May 2008

just to take a break from tech discussions

Meet the $150 (almost to) Space Camera. Bespoke is old hat. Off-the-shelf is in. Even Google runs the world’s biggest and scariest server farms on computers home-made from commodity parts. DIY is cheaper and often better, as Justin Lee and Oliver Yeh found out when they decided to send a camera into space. The two […]

details and pictures of a $150 rig that captured the curvature of earth

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                                • Mar 2007

maybe toy is the wrong word, but I don't see it being much better than many alternatives in the 1/3 price range (EP-1 being $700), so I agree with theetruscan, definately not worth the pricetag in my opinion.
                                On second thoughts, maybe it is a 'toy' camera...a rich person's 'toy'.

I'm just thinking...I'm using my MkIII for work now, and the GRDII for other stuff. Since reading about and seeing the X1, i considered for it to replace my GRDII one day. I haven't handled the X1 before...just based on what i've read and Leica's reputation.
                                THEN i thought, if i can afford it...the M9 looks mighty attractive...i can certainly see my MkIII and M9 living amiably side by side :)
                                One can dream...one needs dreams...

Would you consider the M9 if you had the disposable cash?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎