X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

I don't think I could answer that question to be honest. I mean $7k for a camera plus $2-3k for a superb lens sounds insane to me, and I don't even like the design that much so I would probably never consider buying it even if I had a lot of excess money.

but its obviously a work of art, and the idea of going back to the roots of rangefinder photography with such a high tec camera is certainly cool, but there is no edge for me that makes it so much better than a dslr at a 1/10 of the price. and the body actually weighs more than an entry level dslr, so you can't consider is a very compact camera.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

I think this is a very cool idea. I suspect it will take off. This iteration is too expensive, and needs kinks worked out, but putting sensors in lenses gives you great dust/dirt/funk resistance, and allows for pretty solid optimization. Like the mft thing, this is something that wasn't really attainable with film. Nice to see companies here and there actually leveraging their technology.

Now official:
      After several weeks of rumors Ricoh has unveiled its first digital system camera, the GRX. The system takes a novel approach by offering interchangeable slide mount 'lens units' - sealed modules containing both optics and sensor, meaning it can switch from a large (APS-C) 12 MP CMOS with a fast prime lens to a tiny 10 MP CCD (with a 24-70mm lens). We've had a pre-production GXR system in the office for a week and have produced an in-depth hands-on preview which you'll find after the link. We've also taken lots of pictures with both lens modules so look out a little later today for an extensive gallery of samples.
      Last edited by theetruscan; 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• btbam
        • Nov 2008

As an alternative to my DSLR:
        Never End, Australia.
        http://www.neverend.com.au
        General Contact: Info@neverend.com.au
        Urgent contact: Joseph@neverend.com.au
        Phone: +61 421 406 272

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
          • Jan 2007

^ speaking of which, I just pre-ordered one of these even though I already have an LX3. Not sure yet if I'll back out on the S90 or sell the LX3.

Originally posted by jogu
          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• merkuri
            • Sep 2009

^just got this, was cheaper than the lx3 which made my decision. fairly different cameras though. this takes exceptional photos and video and has some great features but some of the materials feel a bit chintzy.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

I bought an S90 a while ago as well, as a dslr user I'd say I have pretty high standards (or hopes, at least) for point and shoot cameras and so far every camera I've had or tried has fallen more or less short, but I'm really happy with this one. very good image quality especially in lower light conditions. my only complaint is that the video, which is not HD but good quality nevertheless, doesn't have adjustable or automatic focus during shooting, so you are stuck with whichever focus point you had before starting to shoot. I'm actually not sure if this is the case with many p&s cameras, though.

I've heard some complaints of the ergonomics, feels pretty good in my large-ish hands. for those with grip issues, this might be worth a look: Richard Franiec custom grip for S90

its fairly similar with the lx3 though, one notable difference is weight with the Canon being 2/3 of the Panasonic, which in pocket sized cameras makes somewhat of a difference. a
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• ardeetee
                • Apr 2007

i've heard good things about the S90. Maybe another thread would be more appropriate but would it be possible to get some sample photos?

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

moved the camera discussion here..

I don't have a lot of good samples as so far I've used it mostly photographing people at a party last night, which I can't share but here are a couple of really random ones from the card:

f/2, ISO 1600

f/2.2, ISO400, macro (click for a large version)

I'll post more when I have something better available. theres a decent amount of S90 shots on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_s90/pool/

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Getting my camera back tomorrow. Hallelujah.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chim
                      • Dec 2006

Nice E. I have to ask, what Nikon was it that spent so long in the shop?

I've been playing around with my d700 for the past week, god this camera is incredible.

Comment

• Jonn
                        • Mar 2008

im totally new to photography currently experimenting with nikkon fm2 and voigltlander prominent 2 the old man left me.

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                          • Jun 2009

Ok Shutterbugs...quiz time:

I shoot a Nikon D3 with a 50mm f/1.4.

When the camera is in continual shot mode, and wide open (f/1.4) I can take as many damn photos as I like...not problem...hold the shutter and go.

When stop the camera down...even to f/1.6, and try to take photos in continual...it will take ONE frame, and then throw up an "ERR" on the LCD. I called Nikon...they say I have to ship it in. It's under warranty, so whatever, but I am NEVER without the camera. It's def. my body, as I've tried other lenses, and have the same issue. ANY clues?

a.s.
                          Le 21ème

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I got my camera back. Could not believe it. It works, too.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chim
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by hommedeguerre View Post
                              Ok Shutterbugs...quiz time:

I shoot a Nikon D3 with a 50mm f/1.4.

When the camera is in continual shot mode, and wide open (f/1.4) I can take as many damn photos as I like...not problem...hold the shutter and go.

When stop the camera down...even to f/1.6, and try to take photos in continual...it will take ONE frame, and then throw up an "ERR" on the LCD. I called Nikon...they say I have to ship it in. It's under warranty, so whatever, but I am NEVER without the camera. It's def. my body, as I've tried other lenses, and have the same issue. ANY clues?

a.s.
                              it definitely sounds like something is wrong with the body. I can shoot in continuous all day long at any f stop, (granted i have a d700 and not a d3) Guess you gotta just suck it up and send it back to Nikon... :( Do you have a backup you can use?

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Chim View Post
                                it definitely sounds like something is wrong with the body. I can shoot in continuous all day long at any f stop, (granted i have a d700 and not a d3) Guess you gotta just suck it up and send it back to Nikon... :( Do you have a backup you can use?
                                The D700 and D3 are BASICALLY the exact same camera. If I had a backup, I wouldn't even care...and I dont want to pay $50/day to rent one. Just bummed. Maybe they'll send me back a D3S or D3X on accident! Someone loan me their camera!

a.s.
                                Le 21ème

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎