• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Bump for new (and old) members.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shadowvault
      • Oct 2014

I discovered SZ when managed to gather some money for a nice leather jacket.At first a was searching for a perfecto.Someone told me about RO and after that Julius.And thats how i got in all this.At first the purpose was to get a cool jacket but then i felt like designers like the above where my thing and not the classic stuff i wear.I'm pretty sure of what i like to wear now but money its the big issue here.I didnt find something that pleased me in cheaper brands.I dont know if my decision to invest all my money on a jacket was a good one but it felt right back then (because i didnt know about all the other stuff :P ).I am saying all that because i think i made a rookie mistake.Do you think its bad to invest in really expensive pieces when you start building a wardrobe?Would it be better if i got some pants/tees instead?

Comment

• richard_cao
        • Mar 2016

As a student, the budget issue also borthers frequently. In my opinion, I think it is better to start with footwear. Even though a pair of Guidi is much more expensive than some tees or pants, the footwear can go with most of the clothes you already have and you can put it on wear in all seasons(generally speaking). And then I suggest you to save up a little for some clothing that can upgrade your style and also can be put in your daily rotation, like some Julius leather jackets or some RO kilted denim. In terms of basic stuff like tees or pants, I personally prefer buying from inexpensive brands(Uniqlo, Muji...) than spending $200 on some plain BBS tees. Budget is one thing but I also believe that you only need one or two outstanding item in your outfit, simplicity is the key.
        Never dress down.

Comment

• deadboy
          • Jul 2013

Shadowvault, leather jacket is where I started too. Then suddenly I had this item that only went with a few things I owned (and even then, only kind of), but it looked good enough, and then slowly I started buying things that would work with it... shoes, then pants, then sweaters (I still mostly don't buy expensive tees).

I think when you're starting out, it's good to have an anchor piece, that thing you can build your style around, and that you can put on to remind yourself that this aesthetic direction is right for you. I think outerwear is best for that (in cooler climates at least); it's noticeable, it doesn't matter if you're wearing crap underneath, and it was probably expensive enough that you're kind of pot-committed.

So I think you made the right call. Don't rush things faster than you can afford... you don't have to wear the jacket every day, and if you like it enough, it'll still look awesome in a few years, when your wardrobe is more harmonized to it.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shadowvault View Post
            I discovered SZ when managed to gather some money for a nice leather jacket.At first a was searching for a perfecto.Someone told me about RO and after that Julius.And thats how i got in all this.At first the purpose was to get a cool jacket but then i felt like designers like the above where my thing and not the classic stuff i wear.I'm pretty sure of what i like to wear now but money its the big issue here.I didnt find something that pleased me in cheaper brands.I dont know if my decision to invest all my money on a jacket was a good one but it felt right back then (because i didnt know about all the other stuff :P ).I am saying all that because i think i made a rookie mistake.Do you think its bad to invest in really expensive pieces when you start building a wardrobe?Would it be better if i got some pants/tees instead?
            On the contrary, I think you did the right thing. You can easily go into Uniqlo and buy a nice pair of black jeans and tops. As richard suggests, a pair of boots should be your next investment. It's hard to replicate outerwear and footwear. The rest is much easier. Footwear is super important - even most of (general) designer footwear is garbage, let alone the mass market stuff.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shadowvault
              • Oct 2014

It only felt wrong because i didnt have more to spend and i was stuck with just one piece.So the "correct" order would be something like outerwear-->footwear-->bottom-->top ?
              Also im a doing something wrong?I went to Uniqlo but i didnt find much.A dozen or two of classic jeans and tops but thats all

Comment

• DudleyGray
                • Jul 2013

You can never go wrong with shoes and bags; feet don't get fat. RE: Uniqlo, no punk actually needs more than jeans and a tee shirt to look cool. If you're young and stretched, it's really not that important, cool jacket and boots and you're good to go. It's us older guys that need a little help.
                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• eleves
                  • Sep 2012

I agree with Dudley here! Shoes are the way to go 100% IMO. The common conception that people always notice your shoes is said with reason! Even back in the sneakerhead days in high school when I still couldn't afford a pair of 300 dollar sneakers, you find your ways! It's where the classifieds and things like ebay come in handy! The weight fluctuation was definitely something I dealt with but cool kicks are still ready to anchor your outfit. The student struggle is real for sure but A LOT of designers and sites have sales and sample sales almost every year. BBS' 11 stuff is on sale all the time for reasonable prices and Zam also has a pretty steady sale selection
                  Originally posted by Faust
                  HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Shadowvault
                    • Oct 2014

Ok so i think i will invest on good boots.But how comfortable are they?I mean sure they look cool but can you wear them allday everyday?

Comment

• eleves
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Shadowvault View Post
                      Ok so i think i will invest on good boots.But how comfortable are they?I mean sure they look cool but can you wear them allday everyday?
                      I guess it would depend on what boots you're thinking of getting! I have some m.a+ and yohji boots and I find none of these comfortable enough to wear multiple days in a row (maybe 2 at most until my feet start feeling the effects) but my RO boots i can wear for weeks at a time without feeling discomfort. I have no experience with guidi or a1923 footwear though! The Last Conspiracy might be another good brand to check out for boots that a little more accessible pricewise
                      Last edited by eleves; 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM.
                      Originally posted by Faust
                      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• richard_cao
                        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                        I guess it would depend on what boots you're thinking of getting! I have some m.a+ and yohji boots and I find none of these comfortable enough to wear multiple days in a row (maybe 2 at most until my feet start feeling the effects) but my RO boots i can wear for weeks at a time without feeling discomfort. I have no experience with guidi or a1923 footwear though! The Last Conspiracy might be another good brand to check out for boots that a little more accessible pricewise

Agree, Rick's are so comfortable. Ramones are my favourite shoes for going shopping with my girlfriend haha. Guidi are very hard but you can always put an insole on, feels way better.
                        Never dress down.

Comment

• deadboy
                          • Jul 2013

Guidis with an insole are comfortable for all-day wear, versatile and at a pretty accessible price point, even more so if you go second-hand. TLC is also a good starter option.

Comment

• Sir_Dope
                            • Apr 2016

I agree with the above comments. I'll pick my Ramones over anything when I know I'm going to be on my feet for hours. Surprisingly though, my old Ann D combat boots are pretty comfortable all day too. But if I were you, I'd get some Ramones.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎