• endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

what jacket is Jude Law wearing?

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
      so it's more of an "ethical, moral, political" choice and not really based on "fashion?"

I'd like to pose this question: would you feel the same way about the labels you currently wear if,in time, they exploded and became more omnipresent; if they were seen on celebs and were more commonplace and visible?

Would the finely crafted, beautifully styled pieces you currently own lose their appeal or would you still continue to enjoy them?
      Can you separate a designer's philosophy and values from what they design? What you stand for influences what you create.
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
        Can you separate a designer's philosophy and values from what they design? What you stand for influences what you create.
        Personally, I'm not interested in why or how a piece is created or what inspired it. It's a nice footnote but I'm only interested in the piece itself and if and how it can work for me.
        The designer needs an inspiration to create it. I just need to like it.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Personally, I'm not interested in why or how a piece is created or what inspired it. It's a nice footnote but I'm only interested in the piece itself and if and how it can work for me.
          The designer needs an inspiration to create it. I just need to like it.
          That's not what I was asking, I was merely pointing out that what they stand for has an impact on their output and that you normally end up liking/disliking both.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

so it's more of an "ethical, moral, political" choice and not really based on "fashion?"

I'd like to pose this question: would you feel the same way about the labels you currently wear if,in time, they exploded and became more omnipresent; if they were seen on celebs and were more commonplace and visible?

Would the finely crafted, beautifully styled pieces you currently own lose their appeal or would you still continue to enjoy them?
            No, it is precisely the question of fashion. I think you missed my point entirely.

As to your question, have you heard of this guy named Raf Simons?

For the garments I own - they were created in a certain time and place, so no, I am not about to throw out my old Raf items.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endorphinz
              Banned
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              No, it is precisely the question of fashion. I think you missed my point entirely.
              Yes, I am missing your point because if you said this

Originally posted by Faust
              Who made it matters to me. Marc Jacobs can make the best leather jacket in the world, I won't buy it
              how can it be about fashion?

From that statement I gather that you like the jacket and it's a finely crafted jacket but you refuse to buy because of the label. How is that about fashion? I am honestly trying to understand your point.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

It's about fashion in the larger context, not about the garment.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  It's about fashion in the larger context, not about the garment.
                  Respectfully, that sounds like a total cop out unless you can explain it.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Well, since you are obviously incapable of processing information, I will respectfully refuse, because I already explained that fashion exists in a larger, societal context and I treat it as such.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

I process information just fine. I do have a problem with rhetoric.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

how can it be about fashion?

From that statement I gather that you like the jacket and it's a finely crafted jacket but you refuse to buy because of the label. How is that about fashion? I am honestly trying to understand your point.

its about the general appeal of a designer, doesn't that count as being "about fashion"?

your comparison of a designer losing credibility / selling out isn't exactly comparable as there is a difference if a designer is wack to begin with. take the example of Raf Simons, he had some amazing collections and great garments, but for many people he has fallen off. that doesn't mean the garments should necessarily lose any value. this all being subjective, of course.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Avantster
                          ¤¤¤
                          • Sep 2006

You're conflating garments and fashion, they are not the same thing. A garment is an inorganic pattern of values. Fashion is social pattern of values, a completely different beast. Note at this point I am not arguing one is better than the other, simply that they are two distinct things.

If you browsed around the older threads here more, you'd see that many discussions have already been formed around this point of distinction. It's an important one!
                          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                            • Mar 2009

Faust will (most certainly) correct me if I'm mistaken in my interpretation, but I believe that he's putting behind that "fashion" term a lot more than its simplly aesthetical dimension. It's not only about what a garment looks like, but more generaly about the way it is conceived, produced, and sold.

Some designers are able to convey a complex association of aesthetics and values in their creations, while others are mostly interested in selling stuff. That's the difference between art and industry, I suppose.
                            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                              You're conflating garments and fashion, they are not the same thing. A garment is an inorganic pattern of values. Fashion is social pattern of values, a completely different beast. Note at this point I am not arguing one is better than the other, simply that they are two distinct things.

If you browsed around the older threads here more, you'd see that many discussions have already been formed around this point of distinction. It's an important one!
                              I'm sorry. I think I'm too simplistic for this forum. I believe that a garment is merely body covering that needs to be worn and since it needs to be worn, it might as well be as aesthetically pleasing as possible. I don't attach any pattern of values to it other than it makes me feel good when I wear it.

A label doesn't affect how in look in the garment and shouldn't affect how I feel in it. However, I realize that sometimes wearing certain labels will affect my emotional state. It shouldn't but it does because I'm human and it's human nature.

Yes, it is snobbery. I realize that but at least I'm up front about it

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                                • Mar 2009

Maybe the misunderstanding would cease if you could consider people around here as quite similar, in their relation to designers and clothes, to art collectors, rather than people simply wanting to look good.
                                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎