Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nictan
    • Jul 2009

sorry i dont mean to be a 'troll' or anything on this forum. but i guess, to most of the people here, you gotta start somewhere right? i mean like how do you know, from day 1, which designer's ideas or thinking behind each garment relates to your 'personality'. i definitely do not know whats behind MMM or ann.d or rick owens. but thats what im here for, to learn from other members.

at the end of the day, i might realise that what i find now aesthetically pleasing may not suit my personality, and will gladly move on, instead of trying to force it onto myself.

and i definitely do not package them as a combo, but you can hardly put supreme together with rick owens, which is what i mean by varying styles.

sorry if ive offended anyone here. if i did, it is purely unintentional.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

i guess people (myself included) are kind of touchy because of last week's trolling. welcome. still, as others said, trying on "a look" smacks of fashionista-like behavior, which lacks integrity, which ruffles people. i don't know how you know what fits you - you just know, a lot of times it's just a visceral reaction that you should attempt to analyze.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

I don't think he's a troll, I remember nictan from sufu....just I don't think something as organic, ineffable and complex as 'style' is something that could/should be discovered and downloaded off the internet. You have to live until it comes out by itself.
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Spencer
          • Feb 2007

Trail and error kid, trail and error. The real trick is keeping the error to a minimum, because this shit ain't cheap.

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spencer View Post
            Trail and error kid, trail and error. The real trick is keeping the error to a minimum, because this shit ain't cheap.
            Heh, Freudian typo?
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• nictan
              • Jul 2009

thanks for all the reply, Faust, FTB, mike, spencer, heirloom. :)

haha and the part about trial and error, yea, im hoping error is kept to a minimum. heh

Comment

• Spencer
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                Heh, Freudian typo?

Shit man. I actually fixed it (or so I thought) because I initially put tail and error as I was multitasking and watching the internet naughtiness. That stuff is tuff on concentration.

Comment

• FlintsDoorknob
                  • Mar 2010

Is this the place for beginners?

I only know that I don't know. I want to refine and challenge my way of style. I don't know if this place is for me. No harm in asking I guess?

Comment

• tomatous
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

redacted
                    Last edited by tomatous; 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

bump for new members.

Looking at my old posts and thinking about what I used to have in my closet (brrrrr :-)). I don't even wear dark blue jeans anymore (although I still have one pair).
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Peasant
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by FlintsDoorknob View Post
                        I only know that I don't know. I want to refine and challenge my way of style. I don't know if this place is for me. No harm in asking I guess?

If you have some time, read the Carpe thread. Yes. All of it. Many respected designers within this site stemmed from the label. And many are compared to it. If there are any designers on here you feel particularly drawn to, read their threads as well. It won't take much time to determine what works for you. If you have any access to good boutiques, I'd visit them. There's nothing like seeing the pieces in the flesh, so-to-speak.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                          • Jan 2008

Having done so myself, I can attest to the value of taking a hiatus from the board, either for financial reasons, or to allow one's style to develop independently for a time...

And Faust, I hear you on the dark blue jeans...I've still got more than one pair, but they keep getting less and less wear...
                          I am not who you think I am

Comment

• syed
                            • Sep 2010

Bumping an oldy, but I think this thread is essential reading.

I also have something to contribute of my own, a little wardrobe building project I have undertaken. Basically, towards the end of last year and beginning of this year I sold and gave away almost all of my wardrobe - anything that did not fit quite right or that I was not 100% happy with had to go. In one way I wanted to experience a minimalism (and indeed reduced to bare functionality the catharsis and lack of anxiety in what to wear was interesting), but mainly I wanted to start afresh and build the wardrobe that I really want.

I think now is a pretty good time to start anew, mainly because for the next six months I will only be at home or in hospital (I was asked to take a year out of university once again because of my health), so only owning three pairs of trousers and one piece of outerwear doesn't really matter.

However onto building a better wardrobe. This will no doubt sound rather stupid, but stick with me! Before I get dressed each morning, I write down the outfit I would like to be wearing. Money is not an issue, however appropriateness is - the outfit has to be practical. I am currently in week two of the process, however I plan to go for at least a month. After that time I will assess my outfit list, and that should hopefully give me a better understanding of where to start and where to go.

I am thinking that doing this once every six months or once a year will give me a better understanding of where my tastes are heading, but also give me a more concise idea of where to place my money in terms of buying clothing. I think this way I will cut out more of those impulse/ill-advised purchases, and give way to a better wardrobe.

I may actually post the list after a month is up if anybody is interested (...or not). But I would be interested if anyone else decided to take part and write out their month of what they would like to wear day-by-day.
                            "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• messenoire
                              • Nov 2009

i enjoy keeping older items because sometimes it takes something new to rediscover old pieces in a different light. since i mostly buy dark clothes, i'd saying 90%) everything seems to fit together quite seamlessly independent of how old the garment is. do any of you feel that OCD plays a common/vital role in having what you consider to be a good wardrobe? i feel like style and the clothes i wear is a major manifestation of my obsessive compulsive tendencies. maybe i am just viewing things wrong and it's just knowing what you like which i've been told shares a lot of commonalities with obsessive compulsive disorder.

Comment

• beardown
                                rekoner
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                i don't know how you know what fits you - you just know, a lot of times it's just a visceral reaction that you should attempt to analyze.
                                I think this is what it all boils down to.

How do people know what kind of art they like? How do they know what kind of music they like? If people still read, I'd say the same about literature.

It speaks to you on the deepest level. It either intrigues you or repulses you or seduces you in some way. You can feel it, you can relate to it. The most disappointing thing about the internet is that it creates this network where, in theory, people can scour the earth for things they relate to and are moved by.

Instead, it seems like every category of culture has been boiled down to the lowest common denominator and people end up choosing A, B or C.

Am I styleforum dude who wears sweater vests, smokes cigars and frets over the most effective way to mince a clove of garlic? Am I a sufu dude who brags about how long it's been since I've last soaked my denim and about my collection of unworn Dunks?

My point is that despite all of the options in the world, people still generally gravitate to be part of the pack and are quick to categorize themselves rather than seek out the things that they're naturally drawn to via some kind of emotional response.

Where the internet offers a literal world of choices and exposure to new, varied ideas, the average person uses it to decide if they're more drawn to those choices of A, B or C. Sometimes it seems like people wear what they feel they're obligated to wear, listen to what they're obligated to listen to ("You ride a fixed gear bike, wear Vans AND listen to Animal Collective? I'm shocked"!)

I realize that this is stereotyping and the same thing can be said about other eras in culture to a degree but it was lessened pre-internet. It came in waves when it had to move geographically from larger cities to more rural areas via print and broadcast.
                                And the idea of the internet connecting the world seemed to be one of progress and change but it just multiplied what has always gone on....it just sped it all up to where everybody is doing it at the exact same time.

I understand when kids mimic what they see because part of developing your own tastes is exploring and experimenting. But when I see an army of full-grown adults wearing crocs and Ed Hardy, it just reinforces this idea that very few people really know what they like. They take the path of least resistance and they want what will make them socially/culturally acceptable.

/End culture rant for the night.
                                Originally posted by mizzar
                                Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍