• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: FORME 3'3204322896 F O R M D ' E X P R E S S I O N

Thanks, Kev. Some nice looking pieces, indeed. I don't think Pollyanna photographed them well.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kompressorkev
      • Dec 2006

i just received my tweed blazer in the mail....upon first inspection it's pretty uninspiring. the feel of the fabric and the cut aredisappointing. perhaps it's too big, but the shouldersand chest fit, but it's boxy and roomy. i haven't even looked at it much becauseit's justblah, so i'll be returning it for sure. i'm got a good deal on it, but i can't imagine paying big money for this piece.hm ihope this was just a bad example; i thought some of the pieces looked nice. perhaps i'll findsome nicer pieces later on.

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

^ What didn't you like about the fabric? I can only guess that from your description it sounds like it was a little too rough/raw than what you expected, perhaps more Paul Harnden-esque?
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• desultory
          • Aug 2007

I come back to this article time and time again because I found it absolutely fascinating, especially the way it trails out which was perfect...pffffffff! Maybe that's Forme. Pffffff...

Comment

• huskiesonice
            • Mar 2008

Forme D'Expression - anyone know about them?

They have some stuff on Polyanna and website with pictures of past seasons, but not much else.

The items on Polyanna are vastly expensive - £1,850 for a jacket - but some of it I do like, especially the older stuff on their website.

Anyone got anything of theirs? Or know any outlets apart from Polyanna?

Comment

• aruva
              • Dec 2007

Re: Forme D'Expression - anyone know about them?

Tried on few of thier pieces.They looked like poor clones of carpe aesthetics.

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                • Sep 2006

I had the same feeling as aruva, but last winter bought a long coat from them that is actually great, unlined textured wool with unfinished seams, i pay a ridicule fraction of the original price (the original pricing is actually ridiculous, to be true i doubt i'll buy something at real price). If someone is interested i can put some pictures. Agree also with the carpe comparisons, found it like a lame and more commercial aproach to the art povera fashion, i'm happy with my coat but that's it.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                  • Dec 2006

the website's pictures looked pretty promising. i had one grey wool coat from f/w06 by them, but it really didn't feel special at all - materials, fit, or looks wise in my opinion. it didn't really feel likepaul harnden or anything, and nothing really stuck out about it.maybethe piece i had wasn't the bestexample of their stuff,but i returned it pretty quickly. but, i'd reserve judgment until i got to examine more of it up close in store.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

merged
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jon
                      • Apr 2008

I missed this thread the first time around.Great read and some insightful posting regarding the nature of innovation... I feel it really touches with what I've been fixated with lately, in trying to create an identity with my designs and how I feel about the trends in fashion right now... I don't think the purpose of Arte Povera(which I would sum up 'creating something new from something old' - in which case, once again we need to look back at Martin Margiela) should be cast aside, nor do I think technical innovation and 'modernity'(aka 'Futurism')should be sacrificed. The best designers seem to share an open mind about what's possible in design...

...I don't know if I'm getting accross... just getting comtemplative after a post-work smoke.

Originally posted by merz
                      perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• huskiesonice
                        • Mar 2008

Looks like Matches (in London & the UK) have started stocking Forme - some stuff is available via their online shop, but it is (ridiculously) expensive.

These guys (or girls, or both) must have a high opinion of their own work to charge those prices.

I may go over to the Matches branch in Notting Hill and have a look - given some of the earlier comments in this thread I'm interested to see the goods in the flesh. As it were.

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

^The company is run by a woman, Koeun Park.

Interview via Theme magazine (the link was posted before, but I thought it would nice to have it in the thread)

STORY BY ERICA K. LEE, PHOTO BY JOHAN SANDBERG

Issue 7
                          , Fall 2006 Performance

"I always believed in 'one client' who would give me all the reason to
                          make 'one cloth'?that one client to stay in the business. This is my
                          faith,? responds Koeun Park when asked
                          about the name of her company, Factory of Faith. Few designers today
                          can claim to be as conscious of the dynamic between consumer and
                          creator. For Park, it?s all to do with sticking to your beliefs. After
                          years of experience working in the ?band-wagon system? of fashion, she
                          launched her own line, Forme 3?3204322896, in pursuit of a more
                          personal approach to design.

The name Forme 3?3204322896, pronounced ?Forme d?expression,? is
                          created by decoding numeric orders that make up the
                          ?Helvetica-Fraction? font. Much like the clothing it represents, the
                          name is about conversion and individuality. Garments should be able to
                          stand on their own and at the same time ?evolve, as the owner?s life
                          does,? Park says. ?The numbers can be anyone?s own interpretation. I
                          wanted to leave it up to their own imagination, like the numerous forms
                          that will be produced each season, or year, or decade.?

Park?s unique approach to fashion may have grown out of her childhood
                          aspirations of becoming a scientist or architect. ?I love building up
                          anything from flatness? Whatever has a mass can be distorted and
                          elaborated into an unexpected volume. It?s scary to watch a plain
                          rectangular piece of cloth drape itself into a wild tornado.? That
                          scare, however, bred a fascination that eventually led her to a
                          Bachelor?s Degree in Fashion Design at Seoul National University and
                          then to the Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne in
                          Paris. For Park, going to Paris was a new beginning and a fresh
                          approach to her work: ?Moving away from Seoul was like fleeing from the
                          conventional standard of life in every angle? By the time I was
                          finishing up my major in Seoul I was very fascinated by French haute
                          couture. I wanted to start all over from zero.?

After two more years of studying fashion at the Ecole, Park apprenticed
                          at such maisons of haute couture as Christian Lacroix and Nina Ricci.
                          In 1998, she moved to Milan where she started out as the associate
                          designer of Giorgio Armani Black Line. In just five years, she worked
                          her way up to senior designer but yearned for a change of pace. When
                          she was offered the opportunity to work with Donna Karan on her main
                          line collection, Park decided to move to New York City in 2002. A few
                          years later, fed up with the commercial industry, Park set out to start
                          her own line and packed up once again. She chose to base her company in
                          Umbria, Italy: ?[I] love the creative vibe and the nature here.?

All the moving around may seem tiring, but for Park, traveling is in
                          her blood. Her parents worked on power station construction in
                          developing countries and, growing up, she lived in both Seoul and
                          Kuwait. By adapting to such different atmospheres, she gained much of
                          the perspective that led her to such a worldly existence: ?Mingling
                          with kids from all over the world?must have helped me to get away with
                          the different lifestyles of all those cities I chose to live in and
                          move on to.?

Perhaps her childhood experiences have contributed to her wanderlust.
                          ?I am ?bored? by everything around me that lingers more than a week,?
                          she says of herself. ?I am still in search of a place to be my final
                          home someday.? The scenery may continue to change for Park, but her
                          faith is firmly grounded.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

Picture of the designer

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• huskiesonice
                              • Mar 2008

Interesting, thanks.

Comment

• landwolf
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2008

while I have little to offer to the discussion but my own opinion, which I think would be too uninformed to offer it, i definitely dislike the detailing on the boots and jackets.

the knit with the layered collar and gold pin looks very interesting however.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎