X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peasant
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Silke View Post
    I was randomly browsing jewellery at some point and found some designer, German I think. With a bunch of very elvish inspired/looking pieces, hell the name of the website might even have been something cheesy with elf in it. I believe the web page at that time had a green theme to it as well.

I would like to revisit it just to refresh my memory about whether or not I had found something I found interesting there or not.

Been googling my ass off, anyone have an idea of what website I'm talking about?
    If you'd like to laugh your ass off, check out the models on the website. Elf ears and all.

Comment

• Silke
      • Apr 2009

Hahaha oh wow. Hmm I'm don't think that's the web page I stumbled upon that time though. They had a belt buckle with two masks/faces in their collection.

Comment

• sinbad
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Who? View Post
        Garden of Eden has some interesting pieces to offer. Does any one know if they have a brand website?

Amazing ring!
        ART IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT, NOT WHAT OTHERS TELL YOU IT IS.

Comment

• comex9
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Silke View Post
          I was randomly browsing jewellery at some point and found some designer, German I think. With a bunch of very elvish inspired/looking pieces, hell the name of the website might even have been something cheesy with elf in it. I believe the web page at that time had a green theme to it as well.

I would like to revisit it just to refresh my memory about whether or not I had found something I found interesting there or not.

Been googling my ass off, anyone have an idea of what website I'm talking about?
          please spare us

Comment

• BBSCCP
            • Feb 2010

has anybody ever sent a ring for repair to werkstatt münchen (scratches and dents) and knows how much it costs / if they can repair it?

Comment

• BBSCCP
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Eternal
              Repair scratches? Scratches on rings will come eventually, that's what makes them look worn and not brand new. If your aesthetics is about looking like something is brand new, I think you might be buying in the wrong direction.

Don't know how you managed to get dents in your ring, but you can probably take it to a local jeweler and they might be able to fix it, depending on details and design.
              scratches are fine for me but the ring got dents because I was so carelessly playing around with it on the streets so that it kissed the asphalt...

Comment

• kuugaia
                • Feb 2010

WM rings have pretty soft silver, so I wouldn't wear it out when doing things with your hands. I've even scratched mine from putting my hands in my pockets to get my keys, but nothing that's off-putting. If you really don't like the look, I'd recommend testing out your jeweller with other items before you throw him your WM ring.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                  WM rings have pretty soft silver, so I wouldn't wear it out when doing things with your hands. I've even scratched mine from putting my hands in my pockets to get my keys, but nothing that's off-putting. If you really don't like the look, I'd recommend testing out your jeweller with other items before you throw him your WM ring.
                  thanks for your suggestion. WM silver is indeed super soft. I think there is no way but calling WM to ask them if they can fix it and how much it will cost... just thought maybe someone had the same experience here with dents..

Comment

• Peasant
                    • Jul 2009

Both my WM rings have gotten severly dented recently. I rarely take them off. Now they've got some history. They're better this way, trust me.
                    Most sterling silver is going to be very similar as far as hardness. It depends on what they mix the 92.5% silver with. I'd assume that WM selects their silver with some thought behind it. And if you do have it fixed/smoothed it will just become scratched and dented with regular wear.

Comment

• reborn
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Eternal
                      Repair scratches? Scratches on rings will come eventually, that's what makes them look worn and not brand new. If your aesthetics is about looking like something is brand new, I think you might be buying in the wrong direction.

Don't know how you managed to get dents in your ring, but you can probably take it to a local jeweler and they might be able to fix it, depending on details and design.
                      You should go your local art supply store and buy abreshive paper/cloth, aka sand paper. Use 220 or 320 first to remove any major marks. Basically rub the paper in one back and forth direction, then turn on a right angle. Rub again in a back and forth direction. Once the imperfection is removed, use the next higher grade papers succesively (400, 600,800, 1000, 1200, etc). The higher the number the shinier and smoother the finished surface will be. A decent art supply store will let you buy a single sheet of each paper grade (usually under a buck each).

Note: if the piece has any antique finish, it will need to be reapplied. If you don't have liver of sulphur handy, simply hard boil an egg (over cooking it would be better). Crack the egg to break open the shell and expose the cooked egg white. Place the broken over cooked egg with shell in to a sealable container with your silver jewelry. Seal container. The heat and sulphur in the egg will react with the silver, tarnishing the piece. Once you have the color on the silver, use a soft cloth to buff the piece and remove excess tarnish.

If there's an interest, I can post some pics of the sanding process...I have liver of sulpher, so I can post pics of that with my next project, if there's an interest.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                        • Feb 2010

Peasant: I totally agree it is almost impossible to keep these rings "clean". Anyway, I am a fan of scratches due to normal use, since they tell a history like you say, but I can kick me in the ass when I stupidly try to play with knives sold at IKEA and accidentally have to find out the knife wins against silver or any asphalt-is-the-rings-best-friend situation.

reborn: thanks for the detailed instructions but I guess I would first of all try to send the ring back to WM since a not so small part of the silver is missing due to the asphalt. I just was not sure, if WM can fix that with heat...

For sure, please feel free to post the pictures of your next project if it´s not too much effort, since the whole process sounds really interesting! My ring does not have an antique finish but maybe someone here on SZ would welcome the above mentioned method.

Comment

• reborn
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BBSCCP View Post
                          ...thanks for the detailed instructions but I guess I would first of all try to send the ring back to WM since a not so small part of the silver is missing due to the asphalt. I just was not sure, if WM can fix that with heat...
                          If you are missing a piece, or you have a huge gapping scratch, or the piece is crushed...the repair is substantially more involved and would likely include soldering (aka brazing) to adhere additional silver and/or annealing to reshape. Your local jeweler should able to assess the damage and make a repair.

As an FYI, most sterling silver (the stuff marked .925) is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. The extra additives are less than .001 of the total. It's a historical thing. If it's not the combo above, a reputable jeweler, metalsmith, silversmith, metal artist will tell you. If you are buying silver (sterling, argentium, reticulation silver, etc.) as a raw material, the supplier will tell you the composition of the alloy.

Gold on the other hand is a totally different story. There are a lot of different alloy formulas for each karat composition and color. For example, White gold can be formulated with palladium, platinum, nickle, silver ... & for the less scrupulous simply plated white with rhodium.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by reborn View Post
                            If you are missing a piece, or you have a huge gapping scratch, or the piece is crushed...the repair is substantially more involved and would likely include soldering (aka brazing) to adhere additional silver and/or annealing to reshape. Your local jeweler should able to assess the damage and make a repair.

As an FYI, most sterling silver (the stuff marked .925) is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. The extra additives are less than .001 of the total. It's a historical thing. If it's not the combo above, a reputable jeweler, metalsmith, silversmith, metal artist will tell you. If you are buying silver (sterling, argentium, reticulation silver, etc.) as a raw material, the supplier will tell you the composition of the alloy.

Gold on the other hand is a totally different story. There are a lot of different alloy formulas for each karat composition and color. For example, White gold can be formulated with palladium, platinum, nickle, silver ... & for the less scrupulous simply plated white with rhodium.
                            I am happy to hear they should be able to repair it!

As for the WM rings, they all are marked 925, but still in comparison to other silver rings, the silver seems for me to be rather "soft", meaning more vulnerable than other silver 925 rings. Maybe it´s just my personal impression since the contact surface is much bigger than on my other rings due to the size...

Comment

• reborn
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BBSCCP View Post
                              I am happy to hear they should be able to repair it!

As for the WM rings, they all are marked 925, but still in comparison to other silver rings, the silver seems for me to be rather "soft", meaning more vulnerable than other silver 925 rings. Maybe it´s just my personal impression since the contact surface is much bigger than on my other rings due to the size...
                              It could be, if the piece is cast, that it has not been work hardened.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                                • Mar 2009

merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎