Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Mens Jewelry

Peasant: I totally agree it is almost impossible to keep these rings "clean". Anyway, I am a fan of scratches due to normal use, since they tell a history like you say, but I can kick me in the ass when I stupidly try to play with knives sold at IKEA and accidentally have to find out the knife wins against silver or any asphalt-is-the-rings-best-friend situation.

reborn: thanks for the detailed instructions but I guess I would first of all try to send the ring back to WM since a not so small part of the silver is missing due to the asphalt. I just was not sure, if WM can fix that with heat...

For sure, please feel free to post the pictures of your next project if it´s not too much effort, since the whole process sounds really interesting! My ring does not have an antique finish but maybe someone here on SZ would welcome the above mentioned method.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSCCP View Post
    ...thanks for the detailed instructions but I guess I would first of all try to send the ring back to WM since a not so small part of the silver is missing due to the asphalt. I just was not sure, if WM can fix that with heat...
    If you are missing a piece, or you have a huge gapping scratch, or the piece is crushed...the repair is substantially more involved and would likely include soldering (aka brazing) to adhere additional silver and/or annealing to reshape. Your local jeweler should able to assess the damage and make a repair.

As an FYI, most sterling silver (the stuff marked .925) is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. The extra additives are less than .001 of the total. It's a historical thing. If it's not the combo above, a reputable jeweler, metalsmith, silversmith, metal artist will tell you. If you are buying silver (sterling, argentium, reticulation silver, etc.) as a raw material, the supplier will tell you the composition of the alloy.

Gold on the other hand is a totally different story. There are a lot of different alloy formulas for each karat composition and color. For example, White gold can be formulated with palladium, platinum, nickle, silver ... & for the less scrupulous simply plated white with rhodium.

Quote Originally Posted by reborn View Post
    If you are missing a piece, or you have a huge gapping scratch, or the piece is crushed...the repair is substantially more involved and would likely include soldering (aka brazing) to adhere additional silver and/or annealing to reshape. Your local jeweler should able to assess the damage and make a repair.

As an FYI, most sterling silver (the stuff marked .925) is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. The extra additives are less than .001 of the total. It's a historical thing. If it's not the combo above, a reputable jeweler, metalsmith, silversmith, metal artist will tell you. If you are buying silver (sterling, argentium, reticulation silver, etc.) as a raw material, the supplier will tell you the composition of the alloy.

Gold on the other hand is a totally different story. There are a lot of different alloy formulas for each karat composition and color. For example, White gold can be formulated with palladium, platinum, nickle, silver ... & for the less scrupulous simply plated white with rhodium.
    I am happy to hear they should be able to repair it!

As for the WM rings, they all are marked 925, but still in comparison to other silver rings, the silver seems for me to be rather "soft", meaning more vulnerable than other silver 925 rings. Maybe it´s just my personal impression since the contact surface is much bigger than on my other rings due to the size...

As for the WM rings, they all are marked 925, but still in comparison to other silver rings, the silver seems for me to be rather "soft", meaning more vulnerable than other silver 925 rings. Maybe it´s just my personal impression since the contact surface is much bigger than on my other rings due to the size...
    It could be, if the piece is cast, that it has not been work hardened.

merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

I've noticed this as well. I've owned some other miscellaneous pieces of silver before and the WM stuff is certainly far more pliable to the everyday hazards that come with actually wearing stuff.

On the plus side, their customer service is phenomenal. I had a necklace break last year and they repaired it for free, including return shipping.

really for free? did you contact them directly or through the shop you bought at?

Quote Originally Posted by modalsaliency View Post
    I've noticed this as well. I've owned some other miscellaneous pieces of silver before and the WM stuff is certainly far more pliable to the everyday hazards that come with actually wearing stuff.

On the plus side, their customer service is phenomenal. I had a necklace break last year and they repaired it for free, including return shipping.

Directly, though they did ask where I'd bought it.

Having trouble finding a single antiqued silver simple hoop earring any thoughts?

You can easily antique silver yourself with some egg yolk.
    Suede is too Gucci.

My present "collection"

Chin Teo, Chin Teo, WM
    Dad's Old Ring, Generic Jade Ring,
    Swiss Army Watch(Graduation gift from my Grandpa...don't wear it, but love it.)
    Tsovet Watch
    Collateral, Collateral
    S2A
    S2A

I'm actually kinda curious to hear what SZ has to say about Obelisk

They also come in white. Found the wallet chain once on a random JP site, and once again on yahoo.jp, and I've kicked myself both times for not picking them up.
    It is a good viewpoint to look upon life as a dream. If one has something like a nightmare, he will wake up, and reassure himself that it was only a dream. It has been said that the world we live in is not a bit different than this.

Quote Originally Posted by hommedeguerre View Post
    My present "collection"

Chin Teo, Chin Teo, WM
    Dad's Old Ring, Generic Jade Ring,
    Swiss Army Watch(Graduation gift from my Grandpa...don't wear it, but love it.)
    Tsovet Watch
    Collateral, Collateral
    S2A
    S2A
    I like your father´s ring a lot!

I can't really tell from the pic, is it a Catier Trinity ?
    I really like that ring too

It seems as if poor self-promotion has finally penetrated the front that is SZ.

Looking for suggestions regarding a cross necklace. What do people have in their collection currently or what would you recommend.

go to church or monastry
    buy cross
    put on leather string
    done

Heirloom

I've been looking for a loong pearl necklace, maybe 2-3 meters, with pearls in random order, random sizes, like the ones björk has in the Pagan Poetry video. it makes them look like dew on spider web.

[QUOTE=Heirloom;248380]I've been looking for a loong pearl necklace, maybe 2-3 meters, with pearls in random order, random sizes, like the ones björk has in the Pagan Poetry video. it makes them look like dew on spider web.

I think it looks like something else, hence the name.... I love Bjork!